Wendler 5/3/1

Options

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, its frustrating. Maybe you just started too heavy and need a reset then.

Quite possibly.

This morning was OHP and I got 7 reps but I was dragging. Went to bed later than usual because I was waiting up for this buffoon to deliver the new Synergy Green Camaro (it didn't arrive) that I ordered from out of state. Got up for the workout at 3:30am. Cut the cardio (usual 45 minute walk) short to 30 minutes. Felt like a walking zombie. Thursday DL's will be better.

We all have our ****ty days. Gratz on the Camaro, I'm seriously jealous.

Don't have it yet. Getting one has been a nightmare. This is the FOURTH one we've attempted to purchase. The first 3 fell through at the last second.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Not much good to say about this morning's workout but I got 9 reps on my set of 5 for deadlifts. Body wanted no part of assistance work. Scrapped the good morning's and only did 3 of 5 BBB deadlift sets. Live to fight another day...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Not much good to say about this morning's workout but I got 9 reps on my set of 5 for deadlifts. Body wanted no part of assistance work. Scrapped the good morning's and only did 3 of 5 BBB deadlift sets. Live to fight another day...

That sucks, we all have our days I guess.

Today was shoulders of week 1 (phase2) and I got 9 solid reps on my last set. My assistance work had gotten really light and I bumped up the weight a little and added weight to my dips, so I'm a little beat after my session. I'm glad I got some cardio in this week though, been slackin' in that department.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I had a good Friday and I think I'm getting real close on how I want day 5 to feel.

Week 1 phase 2
    - Sumo Deadlift 5/5/5+, did 10
    - Power Clean from the Hang 5/5/5+ did 9
    - Broad Jump Series 5 x 8reps
    - Contrast: Leg Extensions --> Standing Leg Curls 5 x 10

I really want the assistance work to be more athletic in nature. I get enough leg strength focus on day 2, so I'm thinking about some other plyometrics or more dynamic lifts. Thoughts?
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    I had a good Friday and I think I'm getting real close on how I want day 5 to feel.

Week 1 phase 2
    - Sumo Deadlift 5/5/5+, did 10
    - Power Clean from the Hang 5/5/5+ did 9
    - Broad Jump Series 5 x 8reps
    - Contrast: Leg Extensions --> Standing Leg Curls 5 x 10

I really want the assistance work to be more athletic in nature. I get enough leg strength focus on day 2, so I'm thinking about some other plyometrics or more dynamic lifts. Thoughts?

Do what you want! Wendler says you can work this any way you want but just don't expect to be all things at once. If athleticism is your goal, tailor it toward that.

Wendler says it pisses him off when guys want to compete in a powerlifting meet, be an MMA fighter, lose 40 lbs and run a marathon all at the same time. Your training can't allow you to be "all things at once." Pick what suits YOU!
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Got 7 reps on my last set of 3 on bench press. This new "high arch/powerlifting" stance really takes the torque off of my left delt which is awesome. Actually jumped 10 lbs more than I should've and still blew through my reps.

The bench press portion is moving way too slow on the weights. I may jump like this a couple of times and then scale back when I find a comfortable "sweet spot" just like I likely will skip two deload weeks in a row before I deload again.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Yeah, I'm definitely not training for a powerlifting meet. I realize I can't train for everything but I think getting one session in during the week that focuses on explosiveness will be benefical to strength and athleticism overall.

Nice job on the bench and I totall agree on the bench setup. Setting up like a powerlifter is so much better and easier on the joints. I probably added 20lbs to my bench just by changing my setup.

Today was upper back day, 5/5/5+. I got 11 reps on my chest supported rows. I really love this workout for some reason. Doing the heavy rows and then doing the moderately heavy dumbell rows is awesome. In the past my form wasn't too good on the DB rows but I've since got it down and I totally feel it in my back. By the time I'm done wtih the rows and the db rows my shirt just clings to back.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Squats on Sunday sucked. Only got 4 on my last set of 3. The funny part is that this is a weight that I was easily repping on the 5x5 program.

Reading more about this (Wendler) program I just think it's great. You can take this program in a whole bunch of different directions (strongman, powerlifting, bodybuilding, athletics, etc) if you want to. I read his template on 5/3/1 for bodybuilding yesterday.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Tagging so that I see the updates.

I am on 5/3/1 using a three day template and the following lifts.

Squat + Good Mornings, Lunges
    Bench + DB Row, DB Bench
    Deadlift + Clean, Planks
    Press + Dips, Chin-ups

what lifts are you combining into one day?

I guess I should explain this better. I do a three day split, but I still only do one core lift per day. The three day method of 5/3/1 actually extends each cycle by one week. so it looks like this.

Week 1
    Mon = Squat 3x5
    Wed = Bench 3x5
    Fri = Deadlift 3x5

Week 2
    Mon = Press 3x5
    Wed = Squat 3x3
    Fri = Bench 3x3

Week 3
    Mon = Deadlift 3x3
    Wed = Press 3x3
    Fri = Squat 5/3/1

Week 4
    Mon = Bench 5/3/1
    Wed = Deadlift 5/3/1
    Fri = Press 5/3/1

Week 5 (Deload)
    Mon = Squat
    Wed = Bench
    Fri = Deadlift and Press

Ah okay, I got it now. You had me for a sec there LOL.

In general, how do you guys feel about the Deload week? I just don't find myself feeling the need to deload very much. Like two weeks ago I new I needed to deload and then cutback a little. I recall from doing 5/3/1 before I never felt that need. I was actually thinking that it if you didn't feel a Deload was needed it would be a good week to do some Dynamic lifting.

Glad I found this post. Starting today.
    For the deload week, I'm planning a simple 3 x 8 program.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Today started week 2 for me and started with a killer workout. On my last bench press set I repped the weight for 10. I repped my 5+ weight last week for 10 as well and Im pretty sure I couldve done an 11th today. My dips at +20 lbs went smooth too, so pumped.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Tagging so that I see the updates.

I am on 5/3/1 using a three day template and the following lifts.

Squat + Good Mornings, Lunges
    Bench + DB Row, DB Bench
    Deadlift + Clean, Planks
    Press + Dips, Chin-ups

what lifts are you combining into one day?

I guess I should explain this better. I do a three day split, but I still only do one core lift per day. The three day method of 5/3/1 actually extends each cycle by one week. so it looks like this.

Week 1
    Mon = Squat 3x5
    Wed = Bench 3x5
    Fri = Deadlift 3x5

Week 2
    Mon = Press 3x5
    Wed = Squat 3x3
    Fri = Bench 3x3

Week 3
    Mon = Deadlift 3x3
    Wed = Press 3x3
    Fri = Squat 5/3/1

Week 4
    Mon = Bench 5/3/1
    Wed = Deadlift 5/3/1
    Fri = Press 5/3/1

Week 5 (Deload)
    Mon = Squat
    Wed = Bench
    Fri = Deadlift and Press

Ah okay, I got it now. You had me for a sec there LOL.

In general, how do you guys feel about the Deload week? I just don't find myself feeling the need to deload very much. Like two weeks ago I new I needed to deload and then cutback a little. I recall from doing 5/3/1 before I never felt that need. I was actually thinking that it if you didn't feel a Deload was needed it would be a good week to do some Dynamic lifting.

Glad I found this post. Starting today.
    For the deload week, I'm planning a simple 3 x 8 program.

Nice. I'm not sure if I'm going to take the next deload or not; it'll really depend on how my shoulder feels I think. The 3x8 is probably fine for deloading. For my upper body I may keep it to 2 x 10 and then lower body 3 x 10. My right shoulder needs the break more than anything right now.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Squats on Sunday sucked. Only got 4 on my last set of 3. The funny part is that this is a weight that I was easily repping on the 5x5 program.

Reading more about this (Wendler) program I just think it's great. You can take this program in a whole bunch of different directions (strongman, powerlifting, bodybuilding, athletics, etc) if you want to. I read his template on 5/3/1 for bodybuilding yesterday.

Yeah, his book is a good read. I also read something from another trainer the other day about incorporating movements for building athleticism. He said to keep it to one or two days a week, so really I can easily fit that work into my Friday session and not convolute this program into something bad. My progress has been solid so far, so I'm not concerned about screwing it up right now.
  • 5/3/1 kicks *kitten*. Got my deadlift up to 465 after 15 cycles with no reset.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Today started week 2 for me and started with a killer workout. On my last bench press set I repped the weight for 10. I repped my 5+ weight last week for 10 as well and Im pretty sure I couldve done an 11th today. My dips at +20 lbs went smooth too, so pumped.

Well done !
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    5/3/1 kicks *kitten*. Got my deadlift up to 465 after 15 cycles with no reset.

Nice ! I don't see a reset on this move for awhile either.
  • JNick77
    Options

Wow, that's such great results that he went and deactivated his account. LOL
  • BR1986FB
    Options

Wow, that's such great results that he went and deactivated his account. LOL

LOL...yes, he did.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Had a good leg day and I didn't get that feeling of wanting to puke today either. Got 10 reps on my Hack Squats and I'm not sore as hell after doing the walking lunges, which is very cool.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Nice ! Got 8 reps on my last set of 3 on OHP.

As a side note, I've never been good at doing pullups/chins having started out at close to 300 lbs bodyweight. I'm now ripping off reps right & left. Need to add some weight.

I was doing them weighted but was using a pullup assist device that was like a bungee cord that slipped over my foot and attached to the pullup bar giving a mild assist. Scrapped that and have been doing regular chins, with ease, for a few weeks now.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Nice ! Got 8 reps on my last set of 3 on OHP.

As a side note, I've never been good at doing pullups/chins having started out at close to 300 lbs bodyweight. I'm now ripping off reps right & left. Need to add some weight.

I was doing them weighted but was using a pullup assist device that was like a bungee cord that slipped over my foot and attached to the pullup bar giving a mild assist. Scrapped that and have been doing regular chins, with ease, for a few weeks now.

That's cool. As much as I want to get my bench and OHP up, I really want to get my pull-up/chin-up strength up too. Right now I'm working on getting 5 sets of 10 (I can get 4 for 10 and then 1 for 8) in and then I'll add in some weight like I did for Dips.