Real Talk: Are you choosing Hair over Health?

Options
Ladies, do you often sacrifice working out because you're concerned about
messing up your hair? There's an interesting article posted yesterday on Essence.com
all about this. Click the link below to check it out and let me know
your thoughts cause I know da*n well I'm not the only one guilty of it! Lol :embarassed:

http://www.essence.com/2011/08/29/real-talk-are-you-choosing-hair-over-health/

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    umm, no never. Unless I am at my boyfriends gym.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Really doesn't apply to me!
  • Khadines
    Khadines Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    GUILTY as charged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    sometimes, i try not to work out too hard to the point of sweating..especially if i just straightened my hair..most of the time, it happens anyways, so i dry my face and neck off, let my hair out of the ponytail, brush it, then spray the sweaty parts with body spray..sounds kinda stupid, but it keeps me from having to jump in the shower, and re-do my hair
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Hell no. My hair is an A hole and frizzes if I shift my eyes the wrong direction so I couldnt care less.
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    My hair and just having to stop my day to take a shower- I hate it. I have to plan a huge chunk of time for working out because I haveeee to take a shower immediately and then start the whole wet hair/get dressed routine
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    nope but i have to wash my hair alot more now. You should get an organic shampoo so the chemicals won't take all your natural oils out and you should be good :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No. I would rather work out.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    nope, never. I usually throw it up in a haphazard ponytail as out of my face as possible. I could care less how disheveled I get, as long as I have a good, hard workout.
  • vnelson17
    Options
    haha I know what you mean, thank GOD for braids!!!
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Not even going to lie...there have been times where I have not worked out a few days in a row because I didn't want to sweat out my recently pressed hair....guilty of that for sure. Especially since I don't have any relaxer in my hair and I sweat heavy in my roots when I workout....I get so frustrated paying to get my hair done for it to be a mess a few days later. But this would be why I am about to put some breads in it for a few weeks and then after that getting a sew-ins until I hit my goal at the end of the year.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Meh, that's why you shower after you work out or you keep a hair brush and plenty of hair ties in your gym bag... I don't worry about it unless I have a date after my workout with my hubby. He doesn't care, but I like to get dolled up for him. I usually wear my hair in a high pony tail because it's getting so long and I hate it sitting on my back while I work out. I've also thought about putting it up into a messy bun just to get it out of the way!
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not care about the hair. After i finished jogging this morning my kinky hair was wet as heck. I just put it in a ponytail and kept on going. I love to know that it is all messed up because i am making an effort to change my couchy lifestyle!
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    I'm guilty! My exercise of choice is swimming, now my hair is never the way I like it. I'm thinking I may have to get a "mom" haircut.
  • Cokamo
    Cokamo Posts: 51
    Options
    To avoid this problem, I try to plan my workouts at the beginning or end of my day when my hair doesn't matter...I do try to avoid messing my hair up or getting too sweaty in the middle of my day to avoid having to stop my day to shower and dress all over again. I have naturally curly hair and once it gets wet, I have to start all over. I won't say that I miss workouts because of it though...I just plan around it.
  • nekia1
    nekia1 Posts: 6
    Options
    i used to let it get in the way, but then i decided to go natural, and fortunately, i have these nice curls coming in that i never knew about!! i cannot wait to be all natural and just wear my hair curly. I'm training for a 5k so I decided to let my hair go and I just wear it in a ponytail, once my body is looking right and i don't have to train so hard, i will be getting my hair straightened again!! Just push through it to get to your goal....what matters more: nice hair or a great body??
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    *sigh* my hair's taking a backseat to the work outs these days... i've been getting by with doing my own hair FOR now... cause i need to do this...
  • jgsims
    jgsims Posts: 11
    Options
    'To avoid this problem, I try to plan my workouts at the beginning or end of my day when my hair doesn't matter...I do try to avoid messing my hair up or getting too sweaty in the middle of my day to avoid having to stop my day to shower and dress all over again. "

This is a big reason why I quit working out at lunch. It just bugged me to have to do the whole routine twice, within about 4 or 5 hours from each other. Now I plan my workouts in the early morning or after work when it doesn't matter what my hair ends up looking like.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Nope.... I'm a hairstylist & I like to have my hair done nice all the time. But when it comes to working out, it's all about working out.

I work out at night, so my hair doesn't matter then. Or I work out in the morning and then i do my hair after the workout... but never do I work out in the middle of the day.
  • QBee73
    QBee73 Posts: 53
    Options
    I use to be guilty of this but now I wear wigs or get sew-ins.