Real Talk: Are you choosing Hair over Health?

Options

Replies

• alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am guily of this but my solution is to wear a ponytail but that look gets old after a while.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I do not have hair issues that others have - and I thank God for that because.........I have hair that HAS to be washed everyday --- has to be so obviously, I don't have the issue of going to the salon and getting my hair done and then sweat messing it all up. BUT! I still skip workouts during lunch because I don't want to go back to work all frizzy and yucky. I know this is NOTHING compared to what others sacrifice by going to the gym so I'm really feeling guilty right now........really guilty........no more using that excuse ever again.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I was washing my hair after each workout as I always work up a sweat....but it's really dried out my hair, I don't even use a hairdryer or tongs but it's taken it's toll. So now I wash it every other day and if it looks greasy then so be it, even though I don't like it, it's better than having straw hair!!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A lot of guys think ponytails are sexy, so I could put my hair up and the sweat won't make it look TOO bad....and maybe I'll even get a look or two from someone as I walk on by.
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    yup....I opted for a weave - but before I wore a ponytail because I usually workout in the am before work - but I think the weave fixed this problem for now......
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    GUILTY!!! I used to use my hair as an excuse not to workout, not to cook, not to have sex, etc, etc. LOL.
    I had to stop with the excuses and get serious about my health. I workout regularly and when I do, I just whip it up into a ponytail now. And with weaves, wigs and braids options we (African-Americans) really don't have any excuses anymore when it comes to keeping our hair looking good. :flowerforyou:
  • gigi1959
    gigi1959 Posts: 17
    Options
    No, I wear a poneytail to exercice and keep it up with clips until I wash them, twice a week, I have normal hair not dry not greasy easy to maintain.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't but the girls I worked with last summer were an eye opener when it comes to black girls hair care. It is so drastically different. From the texture, to the oil, to the weaves. I am under the impression that doing your hair when your black takes more talent and effort than white girls hair. I simply wash mine and run a comb through it, not really an option with their texture.
  • Sho_Rowell
    Sho_Rowell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged! For the past 6 months though, I have kept my hair braided or a sew-in. I just took micros out 2 weeks ago, and i"m trying to let my hair breathe. It's so flat and bland right now... Gotta get another sew-in soon!
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! If straighten my EXTREMELY curly hair... ESPECIALLY at the salon, I'm not working out for at least a few days. I haven't gone to the salon since last winter I think, but I'm getting that "fresh from the salon itch" so, I guess I will be putting my workouts on hold soon enough. Trying to wait out the blazing sun, and severe rains too!!! lol.

On a side note, this is obviously more of a problem for ethnic (particularly black/african american/etc) females, which is evidenced by the different responses on this topic. Being mixed I guess I'm blessed and cursed.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I used to but I keep my haird braided now. I still have to rinse after every workout because I sweat in the roots a lot but it has been a lifesaver for me!
  • pffssas
    pffssas Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I cut my hair down to an inch all over on july 5th...and decided to go natural. hands down best decision i've ever made!!! its full, healthy and growing like a weed.
  • CurlyVonda
    CurlyVonda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I went natural about 5 years ago, so this is not a problem for me. I just smooth my hair back in a pony puff. When I do my Aqua Jogging I have to pull it up into a high puff so that it doesn't get wet....only because I don't want the chlorine in my hair.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I would not have understood why this would even be an issue if I hadn't watched the documentary, "Good Hair" and realized what some women go through to have "good hair".
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Huh? Foreign concept here. Hair goes up in a ponytail to keep it out of my face. Other than that, who gives a flying monkey?

edit to add: After reading all of the other comments, I can appreciate the difficulty folks with more difficult hair types have. But for me... honestly... if it takes prep time, that hair style is going to change. It must be wash and wear hair for me.
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I would not have understood why this would even be an issue if I hadn't watched the documentary, "Good Hair" and realized what some women go through to have "good hair".

And I appreciate that you know the background on it lol
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So, I was going to post an answer here, but then I kind went off about the whole thing. I posted it in my blog instead (not trying to offend anyone.) If you'd like to read my take: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/glittermouse/view/real-talk-are-you-choosing-hair-over-health-142586

Also, wanted to say that I appreciated these two comments.
    I do not have hair issues that others have - and I thank God for that because.........I have hair that HAS to be washed everyday --- has to be so obviously, I don't have the issue of going to the salon and getting my hair done and then sweat messing it all up. BUT! I still skip workouts during lunch because I don't want to go back to work all frizzy and yucky. I know this is NOTHING compared to what others sacrifice by going to the gym so I'm really feeling guilty right now........really guilty........no more using that excuse ever again.
    I don't but the girls I worked with last summer were an eye opener when it comes to black girls hair care. It is so drastically different. From the texture, to the oil, to the weaves. I am under the impression that doing your hair when your black takes more talent and effort than white girls hair. I simply wash mine and run a comb through it, not really an option with their texture.
  • Khadines
    Khadines Posts: 64 Member
    Options

And I appreciate that you know the background on it lol

Ditto!!!!!!!!!
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm black but not American. The first time I heard of this concept was a few years ago. So my answer is no I've never let my hair stop me from working out. I don't see the point of being overweight, run the risk of getting diabetes or high blood pressure (which run in my family), but have really nice hair
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Huh? Foreign concept here. Hair goes up in a ponytail to keep it out of my face. Other than that, who gives a flying monkey?

Check out the article. It explains a lot.