Real Talk: Are you choosing Hair over Health?

Options

Replies

• Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've got locs so its not so much of a problem but its the washing...so often and it takes awhile to dry.:smile:
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. My hair stays in a ponytail, but im tired of it now. Looking to get braids real soon here....
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. Now I've decided to keep my hair in the shower drain and the sink.
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This used to be a problem for me at times. If I'd just spent $45-60 @ the salon getting my hair done I would absolutely NOT go to the gym for a few days b/c I'd sweat it right out and be back to square one.

Since I decided to go natural last year and cut off my chemically treated ends last month, this has been a non-issue for me. That said, I wear my hair in it's natural kinky/curly state 99% of the time because if I wore it straight I would absolutely not be able to work out. I prefer working hard @ the gym over straight hair so I've learned how to do my natural hair in cute styles w/o having to worry about it affecting my workouts!
    :-)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I would not have understood why this would even be an issue if I hadn't watched the documentary, "Good Hair" and realized what some women go through to have "good hair".

Same here, if not for the documentary and the Oprah special - I wouldn't know either. Which is why I feel so guilty that I've let my very easy to style hair get in the way of me exercising before!
  • sherismb
    sherismb Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Everyday I come to work looking crazy because I exercise in the morning. I sweat in my hair badly and it curls up as soon as I think about sweating. My co worker talks about me but I would prefer to lose weight over having decent hair. My last workout is on Saturday morning before I go to the salon, so I have cute hair Saturday and Sunday for church and back to looking ridiculous on Monday. I'm thinking about getting braids, but I don't feel like sitting that long. I don't know I'll think of something.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I would not have understood why this would even be an issue if I hadn't watched the documentary, "Good Hair" and realized what some women go through to have "good hair".

Right there with ya on that one! The amount of time, effort and money that is spent to maintain "good hair" blew me away! And, to the previous commenter who chose to write a blog topic...the socio-economic-political aspect of the whole thing is certainly a topic worthy of discussion.
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    No! Health is first! I keep my hair short because it is easier to take care of during workouts!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am gulity of this. As a African American women without a relaxer this time of year is tough. I don't wanna sweat out my freshly pressed hair after just getting it done.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This won't work for everyone, but there are some spray and mousse "dry" shampoos out there that work pretty well after a work-out (not super intense workout) in case you need to get somewhere and don't want to wash your hair
  • DanyelePalmer
    Options
    yes- very much so lol. i HATE that i have to shower afterwards because my hair is crap if i sweat at all- its naturally curly and will be crap after a workout so alot of the time i don't workout because of this. Glad i know im not the only one lol.
  • rv88
    rv88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! If straighten my EXTREMELY curly hair... ESPECIALLY at the salon, I'm not working out for at least a few days. I haven't gone to the salon since last winter I think, but I'm getting that "fresh from the salon itch" so, I guess I will be putting my workouts on hold soon enough. Trying to wait out the blazing sun, and severe rains too!!! lol.

On a side note, this is obviously more of a problem for ethnic (particularly black/african american/etc) females, which is evidenced by the different responses on this topic. Being mixed I guess I'm blessed and cursed.

yes it is
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    I sure don't. Hell, i don't even wash my hair that often because it's really not good to strip the oils from it. I just do my hair in different ways so you can't tell that it ain't exactly clean, lol.
  • transylvaniaxx
    Options
    My hair creases like a mofo, and since I straighten it a lot, I hate the hassle of working out and then ruining it.... So I'm totally with you! I learned a new trick, tie it into a really loose ponytail and then use a GIANT clip to clip it up. I have a lot of REALLY thick hair, so that's the only thing that's worked for me, although I'm having trouble finding a clip big enough to keep my hair controlled while I'm running.
  • Leola2011
    Leola2011 Posts: 192
    Options
    I understand the question completely!!!! Some hair is easier to manage than others and some people flat out can't wash their hair everyday or even every other day. And for some, once a style is gone, it's GONE until the next time you're able to get to the hairdresser.

So I "get" why a lot of women don't feel that it's worth the time or effort to workout...because it's considered a waste of some serious hair time and energy (and MONEY, to be honest). I've been guilty of choosing hair over health in the past.

Having said all of that, I will say that I'd rather look good all over than just about the head. And, for me, part of that meant going natural, figuring out how to "work it", and focusing on gettin' dynamite all around. The psychology of getting past hair issues can be a beast and a stronghold.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Heck yes! I have really curly hair that takes me an hour to round brush dry and straighten.. so if i'll do my hair, go to the gym get a big fat kink in it and then have to continue wearing a ponytail.. bah!

When I wear my hair curly it looks so gross after I work out, so straight hair it is even tho it gets ruined..
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Huh? Foreign concept here. Hair goes up in a ponytail to keep it out of my face. Other than that, who gives a flying monkey?

edit to add: After reading all of the other comments, I can appreciate the difficulty folks with more difficult hair types have. But for me... honestly... if it takes prep time, that hair style is going to change. It must be wash and wear hair for me.

Please go watch "good hair"
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    My hair care routine generally involves, erm, brushing it a bit, so I can't say I've ever really worried about how it looks in gym. It's usually just dragged into a pony.....
  • jacksonde24
    Options
    Like some have posted on here, I sweat from my roots. By the time I am done with my workout, my hair is soaking wet. I need to talk to my hairdresser about getting some braids.
  • KDGODSUNLIMITED
    Options
    LOL :-) VERY FUNNY!!:bigsmile: