Confession of a former (almost) 500lbs guy

Options
They say Confession is good for the soul... use this thread to post of an old habit of yours from your heaviest days..

For me, the one the strikes me as the most bizarre, was the daily ritual of 3 Dinners...

Id stop by thepizza shop/fast food joint on the way home from work, eat on the way home, toss the evidence in the trash outside the house. then proceed to have whatever was being cooked for dinner, a full sized portion, then going back for seconds and sometimes even thirds..

I look back and cant even fathom what went thru my head to even do this, but Its no wonder I weighed almost 500lbs.

Replies

• bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, sounds just like me. I wouldnt stop on the way home, but when I did get home it was an all night eat-o-rama!
  • zooflute
    zooflute Posts: 50
    Options
    Good for you for figuring out how to stop!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    It's hard sometimes to look back at hold habits, but it's amazing you broke the cycle and that's what's important! Great job and keep it up!!
  • Amandajean1105
    Amandajean1105 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Way to change your habits! And it feels so good to do so! Congratulations on all of your progress!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Any time I would eat something that came in a package I would eat the whole package - crackers, cookies, an entire block of cheese... I would do that every day multiple times during the day.

I could eat an entire $150 grocery shopping trip in 2 days without batting an eye.

I used to get a bakers dozen of Krispy Kremes on my way to work and eat them ALL.

*sigh*
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    It's great that you have been able to break the cycle.

Amazing job on your weight loss journey so far. Keep it up! :)
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Kinda like going to Mcdonalds, and eating two extra double cheeseburgers and ditching the wrappers before I got into the house. Than I'd eat my 20 pc nuggest, lg Fry, and tub o coke at home! Yep....did that many times, but they were only 99 cents at the time, so thats how I would justify it!!

Sad...but true!!

Proud to not have that "stuff" in my body anymore!
  • lrodriguez83
    Options
    You weren't alone!! I would do the same thing sometimes OR pick up dinner for the family and add extras, eat them on the way home then eat my meal at home! Then after dinner, ice cream or sweets!
  • GivingGodThisYear
    Options
    For me one breakfast became two - like I was a hobbit or something (second breakfast!), then one dessert became 3, etc. Thanks for sharing.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I would eat dinner before going to work, and then eat 2-3 slices of leftover pizza at the end of the night (I worked in a concession at an arena) - and we had free pop during each shift...
  • girlypop
    girlypop Posts: 80
    Options
    My worst habit was always hiding food. I would slip into the kitchen after a full meal and grab a bowl of ice cream to camp out in front of the tv/computer with. Than I'd go back for cookies or chips and just keep eating by myself in front of a screen. Like people wouldn't notice I was eating too much if they didn't see me eat the chocolate bar. What I've learned is that you can hide food but not weight.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I used to do the whole eat in the car thing. Especially when I was in college! I would eat in the caf at around 5pm and then at like 7 go get fast food! So shameful now that I think about it.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Oh em gee! I've done the similar behaviors. Hiding food, sneaking things, pretending to have skipped meals so no one would know of the binge earlier.

Omg. I'm so with you! I would go to McDonald's and order enough food for 2 or 3 people, then add a couple drinks so the kids at the window wouldnt think it was all going to go in my face. It's gross the things I did to myself and the things I did to hide it.

It's hard to admit, but I think admitting it is one of the first steps.

I'd get a pizza and eat the whole thing.

*sigh* I still miss it, and right now I do have the fantasy of binging on pizza and all. But right now I have something in me that is keeping me from doing it.

Oh the inner struggles of the fatness. It sucks. But we can get better and you are a great example of that! Rock on!
  • GoyaMommy13
    GoyaMommy13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Mine was similar-- eating a full dinner...then 8 or 9 would come around and i was STARVING (*rolls eyes*)-- so i would eat another full dinner.

Not at all blaming others for my obesity BUT now knowing how many calories are in meals --- HOW IS THIS LEGAL?? how can one meal at a chain restaurant have 1500 calories in it?! it's bizarre. I never realized this before MFP. The old me would eat that whole meal plus a dessert - when today i eat 1200 calories total for the day. it's amazing how many calories we consume when we're blindly eating.
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    That's an awesome story. If you can do it, I can do it!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Bigpelly8, I have done the same many times... Finally breaking the fast food habit though..
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to stop at a couple fast food places, get a burger and drink at one, fries and/or side and another burger at another, then go home and gorge. I would also get half a dozen Krispy Kremes and eat them in a day and a half. I think i was just really unhappy with my life, so I would drown that out in happy foodness. I can't even contemplate eating like that now, and I don't want to. I moved, got a new job, met someone, and just don't feel a need to do that anymore. Unfortunately it took its toll on my butt and thighs, and am working to rectify that now. Break that cycle, and keep it broken!
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    i would eat my lunch after breakfast and then have another lunch
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Your blog is AMAZING. Thank you for sharing your journey on here. I wish you continued success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!