Stay-At-Home Moms Ringing in the New Year 12/29 to 2009!!!

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Way to go Lenece on the weight loss! It sounds like this has been a really tough year for you, and I hope 2009 pans out a whole lot better! You're already doing an awesome job with your weight loss, so there you go!!!

Ladies, I have a question. How do you deal with people that you see in the "outside world" that you used to work with? One of the women I used to waitress with now works at DH's workplace. Darrell and I went in to see him today and bring him some lunch and I saw her. She and another woman were oohing and aahing over Darrell and then she looked at me and said, "Oh, I know you!" So we were chatting and she asked me where I was working now. I told her I worked at home with Darrell taking care of him and the house, to which she said, "Well, honey I do that too, what ELSE do you do?" "That's it. I just keep house and take care of Darrell." "Well, that must be nice." It wasn't the words, per se, it was the tone, like she was saying, "Well, little miss spoiled brat, you sit at home and eat bon bons all day, while I'm making an honest living." :explode: :explode: :explode: DH and I struggle so that I have the opportunity to stay at home with our son so I can watch him grow and see everything and so that he isn't holed up in a daycare for his entire childhood. It just made me so angry. When did being a SAHM turn into something to be pitied and ridiculed? It's the hardest job I've ever had. I would love to dress up every day and go to fancy lunches and have actual conversations with people who aren't 18 months old, but it's important to me to stay home. I think it's just fine if people want to work, but I don't judge them the way I'm judged sometimes for choosing to stay home. GRRRRR. Sorry for the rant, I just got really angry. I just laughed it off like, "Oh yeah, I don't do anything hahaha..." but inside I was boiling. DH noticed I was getting offended and since he's her boss, he told her to get back to work. :laugh: I just wonder sometimes if I should really stand up and say something when people say things like that, because it does happen quite a bit. Or maybe they're just jealous that they have to work so they put me down. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Loki-- yep, been there-- there is a divide, and it sometimes just CAN'T be mended. We even encountered it here on MFP a bit when we began this thread, and another one for "full-time" moms began-- the paranoia on both sides began to bubble-- both sides thinking the other side was looking down their noses.

All you need to do is answer as you did-- "I'm staying home to raise him, and I've never worked so hard in my life, nor felt so rewarded."

God bless-- and Happy New Years!!!!!!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Loki, I know what you are saying. I get annoyed with people who think we have it easy. I actually do have it pretty easy. Alex is an easy kid.
    I'll be honest and say I feel like crap today. I am SOO tired. I just want to sleep for a week. I have a bad headache and I still have all these stupid pregnancy symptoms! I wish the body could just shut it down when there's no baby instead of having to regulate itself. Maybe today will be a bad day and tomorrow will be better.
    Congrats lenece on your weight loss! I'm jealous.
    I eat because I feel bad, then I feel bad because I eat. I'm too tired to work it off. I haven't even started packing yet. I have no motivation and it's so unlike me. I'm usually so excited to see my family. I hate this feeling.
    I'm done complaining for now. I just can't believe how tired I am. :yawn: I need to get busy packing. No body bother me tonight at midnight okay? :tongue:
    MM
  • Marla64
    Options
    God bless you, MM-- hormones are freaking out-- hang in there.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Okay so about five minutes after I posted my crappy post, DH came home with a rose in hand and said I had one hour to get ready. What? He said he was taking me out. Okay I did not feel like going out at all but I did as I was told since he seemed to have made an effort and got a babysitter too. It was kind of depressing trying to find clothes I could fit into but I managed. DH wouldn't tell me where we were going but on the way to Dallas I had an idea because we never go to Dallas. lol He took me to Medieval Times which is a pricey place to eat with your hands while you watch Knights sword fight and make their horses do really cool things. It was really neat. I felt pretty bad until we were able to sit down and I got distracted for two hours. I feel better having eaten and gotten out to do something fun. If you have an Medieval Times near you, you should check it out. I'd like to go back maybe like twice a year or something. DH has been wanting to take me for over 5 years. Oh and all the guys had long hair. :love: I have always loved long hair on guys as long as it's as pretty as mine. lol
    Now I have about 45 minutes to pack and get to bed so we can get up early in the morning and get on the road. Have a good time tonight! Happy New year!:drinker: (water!)
    MM
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I did the medieval times thing back in high school on a band trip. It was really fun! Glad that you were distracted and had a good time. Good luck getting everything packed! I'm sure it won't be a problem.
  • Marla64
    Options
    too cool-- I've always thought the Medieval Times experience would be fun-- so glad you had a nice time. Your husband sounds like a real keeper!
  • msvallon
    msvallon Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello Mommies!

I am new to myfitnesspal and sort of a new mommy. My daughter is 9 months old and I currently stay at home while attending classes online. I appreciate the posts in this thread. Happy New Year everyone!
  • supermom1114
    Options
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! WOO-HOO BRING IT ON 2009!!!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Hello Mommies!

I am new to myfitnesspal and sort of a new mommy. My daughter is 9 months old and I currently stay at home while attending classes online. I appreciate the posts in this thread. Happy New Year everyone!

Hi msvallon!!!!!! Welcome, welcome, welcome-- you're going to love it here. The support, fun and friendship here is so special and so helpful. Jump on in, don't be shy-- we'll help all we can.

Your baby is adorable!!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Loki - "Don't pay any mind to the man behind the curtain". She's in dream land if they think they're life is more "fulfilling" than yours. When her kids are grown, what will they remember about her? My mom stopped working full-time when I was about 13, but in all honesty, it was pretty much too late for us by then. I was already independent of her. These are the best years for you and your son and you're doing awesome. When people ask what I do for a living, I tell them my career is a full time mother and a full time wife. My job is a medical transcriptionist, but that can change with the wind. But my career never will. Hey, I even put it on credit applications. Be proud of your decision. You made the right one.

MM - Your husband sounds so sweet. And you're awesome for following through with him. It takes a special woman to set her own thoughts and feelings aside to see the effort that someone else makes. Actually, it's usually a mommy that can do that. They've been practicing. Glad you got out. Hope you have great fun with your family. And don't worry about church too much. God isn't going anywhere.

msvallon - Welcome. What courses are you taking? Other than an awesome mom, what else do you want to be when you grow up?

Good morning to all. Working here this morning on my "job", then the rest of the day is devoted to my "career". Gym for two hours with my wonderful hubby. Then slumber party for my eight year old daughter and six year old son here at my house. Individually made pizzas and sundaes. I already have my healthy dinner set aside to resist the temptation. Hope everyone was safe last night.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Way to go Lenece on the weight loss! It sounds like this has been a really tough year for you, and I hope 2009 pans out a whole lot better! You're already doing an awesome job with your weight loss, so there you go!!!

Ladies, I have a question. How do you deal with people that you see in the "outside world" that you used to work with? One of the women I used to waitress with now works at DH's workplace. Darrell and I went in to see him today and bring him some lunch and I saw her. She and another woman were oohing and aahing over Darrell and then she looked at me and said, "Oh, I know you!" So we were chatting and she asked me where I was working now. I told her I worked at home with Darrell taking care of him and the house, to which she said, "Well, honey I do that too, what ELSE do you do?" "That's it. I just keep house and take care of Darrell." "Well, that must be nice." It wasn't the words, per se, it was the tone, like she was saying, "Well, little miss spoiled brat, you sit at home and eat bon bons all day, while I'm making an honest living." :explode: :explode: :explode: DH and I struggle so that I have the opportunity to stay at home with our son so I can watch him grow and see everything and so that he isn't holed up in a daycare for his entire childhood. It just made me so angry. When did being a SAHM turn into something to be pitied and ridiculed? It's the hardest job I've ever had. I would love to dress up every day and go to fancy lunches and have actual conversations with people who aren't 18 months old, but it's important to me to stay home. I think it's just fine if people want to work, but I don't judge them the way I'm judged sometimes for choosing to stay home. GRRRRR. Sorry for the rant, I just got really angry. I just laughed it off like, "Oh yeah, I don't do anything hahaha..." but inside I was boiling. DH noticed I was getting offended and since he's her boss, he told her to get back to work. :laugh: I just wonder sometimes if I should really stand up and say something when people say things like that, because it does happen quite a bit. Or maybe they're just jealous that they have to work so they put me down. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Hi gals!! I am a 47 year old mother of 21,23, and soon to be 26 year old (and a 45 yr old if you count the biggest kid-DH!)

My mother watched my kids from birth while I worked waiting tables 9-3pm. She loved them, I paid her, we were both very happy. Then she passed away. I was left with a 1, 3, 5 yr old that I did NOT want to put with strangers. After much deliberation, my husband and I decided I should raise them.

So DH took a 2nd job, and I picked up a night or 2 at the same restaurant. It was really hard on our relationship, and my friends were always a bit jealous that I was home while they had to drop their kids off at 6 am and pick them up at 6 pm each day, missing their entire lives.

Nothing like a stranger telling you your baby girl cut her first tooth while you were making $6 an hour.

When someone would ask me what I 'did' for a living I would respond that I was in Investments, and worked from home.

Usually this would appease the nosy bitc...person, but when they pressed further I would advise them
    "I am investing in my childrens future". This shut them up REAL quick.

I decided to post with you all because I want to tell you I have NEVER regretted putting my career on hold to raise my own children. They have all turned out to be honest, loving, had working human beings, which is all I really ever wanted.

I began my career in my early 30's after they were all in school. I worked my way from file clerk to 2 steps from managment (we have grades 2-15...started as a 2 and am now a 13) without going into what I do....just say I love it.

There were times I was the 35 yr old file clerk, with a 25 year old making twice what I was, and her kids were in a daycare center and she was sad.

You cant have it all at this moment, but you can have what YOU want. Dont worry about other ppl, this is about your baby!!

God Bless all you mommies who chose to sacrifice to stay home with your children.
    And God Bless the mommies who have no choice and must work.
    :heart: Jeannie
  • loreeb18
    Options
    Happy New Years, Mommies! Last night I did pretty well. The only "cheat" was a 300-calorie fudge round when I was making supper. But for supper we had whole wheat spaghetti (not that bad) and turkey sausage meatballs. We got a big veggie tray and a fruit bowl so I picked at carrotrs and tomatoes all night. And I didn't drink at all - I just didn't feel like it I guess.

We had some people over and we hung out and played video games. (Harley and I were the only girls.) Harley went to bed around 10:30pm. People hung out until a little before 2am when Dave kicked them out. :laugh: He really did. We're sitting here and he goes, "Okay, dudes, I'm kicking you out." :laugh: That's my hubby!

We went to bed and passed out! Dave got up around 8 and Harley was still sleeping so he snagged her out of her crib so she wouldn't wake me up. (awww!) I got up around 9:30am.

Last night when I made the meatballs for supper, I spilled a little olive oil in the oven. This morning, we made cookies to take to Dave's parents for supper. (Better they eat them then me eating them at home!) Well, the smoke alarm went off. It's hooked to our alarm system so it will call the fire department in case of a fire. Dave hurried downstairs and put the code in to stop it. Well, we got a call a few minutes later from the alarm people. Dave told her to cancel the alarm. We live 6 houses down from the volunteer fire department and we heard the siren go off. A few minutes later the fire dept. guy showed up. Dave apologized and said he thought the call was cancelled in time. Luckily the guy was nice about it.

So we're starting off the new year well. :laugh:
  • guntherma
    guntherma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, the smoke alarm thing made me laugh. I had a police officer at my door a couple years ago. I was scared to answer the door but did, only to find out that after my one year (at the time) dialed 9-1-1 he left the phone off the hook so they were obligated to come and investigate and tell me to hang up the phone as we were tying up the 9-1-1 lines. That was embarrassing.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I mistakenly called 911 from an Atlanta hotel room when I was 16 & trying to order a pizza. That was mortifying.

I'll be back later to check in with everyone. I have a baby biting me right now. OW!
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Never done that one 3BB...I am glad to say that I order Jullian Micheals 30 Day Shred n it shoudl be here by Thursday....I cant wait...I love Amzon.com I got it off there NEW for $10.12 thats including shipping n handling..I'm ready to do this I have to tone up this flabby stomach n legs..Its gross:sick: I cant believe how well I'm doin..only 68 more pounds to lose and I will be happy..When I see 120 pounds I will be so pleased..Still aways off but I know I can do this..Have a great night ladies..:flowerforyou:
  • jawaria
    jawaria Posts: 86
    Options
    Happy New Year Ladies!
    MM -i'm sorry and you are in my prayers. I hope you feel better

Marla- Your family is in my prayers.

3BB- I hope your puppy gets better

Loki- My Y did the same thing...closed the daycare last year...hate it when they do it! It's been hard to workout at home...Good Luck!
    and yes there always those 'oh so perfect' moms who work and look down upon us...my family thinks i'm nuts for staying home..but i see a diff in my kids and those that go o daycare...i know it's the hardest job and if some one else sees diff..that's their problem..

Supermom- It will get better...as 3BB mentioned Gripe Water works miraculously. It's not really a medicine so that way it's safe for even lil babies...Also give Ayden to ur hubby and run out the door and come back home after 8 hours! He'll know exactly what u do!

All's well here! I'm done eating junk and am starting fresh! Sayf will be done with his therapy soon! sooo excited but kinda sad...i love his therapist..she's my frida morning visitor...and she always brings me gifts like pens, extra lotions, toys for the kids...i love her!
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hey where are all the moms this morning??:ohwell: I know Ive read though all the posts, but I feel like Im missing something lol. Did you guys move and not tell me??:wink:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Hey where are all the moms this morning??:ohwell: I know Ive read though all the posts, but I feel like Im missing something lol. Did you guys move and not tell me??:wink:

I'm here, I'm just laying low. I am posting on the black team thread & the proud thread & once I get here, I feel like I'm telling you all stuff you already know. LOL

I do want to catch up, but I'm so far behind, it's gonna take me awhile. :happy:
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Wow have I been a slacker lately. I've been reading everyone's posts but not responding. I also have been slackin in the healthy dept. I did really good Christmas week but this week WOWZERS, no self control. I think part of it is lack of structure and schedule. Hubby has been home all week and of course my DS is outta school. We've been runnin around doing family get togethers and errands and eating out and all those kinds of things. Monday will be back to normal and I'm planning on getting my eating back in check. I've been exercising regulary (except for yesterday) but a few pounds have found their way back on.

Lenece-I got the 30 day shred for Christmas and I'm planning on starting on Monday. Or if you want a "buddy" I will wait until you get yours and then we can do it together.

I'm going to take a selfish moment because I'm feeling left out in a sense. You know how as kids EVERYONE asks you what Santa brought you....well I kind miss being asked that question. Especially this year when I got so many wonderful things. So if you don't mind I'm going to tell you what I got for Christmas. Santa brought me-100 calorie snack paks in my stocking, a new Crest Spin Pro toothbrush (my old one was dying), and a 9" digital picture frame. My hubby got me the new Christina Aguilera CD, Taylor Swift's new CD and help pay for the HRM my SIL bought me. My son bought me the Sugarland CD and he made a reindeer picture at school using his handprints for antlers (love the school project gifts). My mom and dad bought me Jillian's 30 day Shred and gave me money so I could order some new Turbo Jam DVDs. My brother bought me the Hungry Girl cookbook and Eat this Not That. Is that everything??? Oh my hubby also got me my new Samsung Rant cellphone that I've been wanting for months. And my SILs boyfriend gave me a $50 gift card to Best Buy and I bought Guitar Hero Aerosmith for the PS2 :love: It was a wonderful Christmas. The few things I didn't get I can go pick up at after Christmas sales (free weights and a digital food scale). So.....What did you get for Christmas????
  • loreeb18
    Options
    Man, d's mom! You must have been good this year!

Dave got me a heart rate moniter. (Yea!) Oh, and a Sham-Wow! (My husband is a goof.) And we got gift cards from his parents.