Need some advice. ..concerning my 2 year old...

Options

Replies

• kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was like that when I was little. All I ever ate was hot dogs and peanut butter and jelly, until I realized other food was good too.
    Maybe start by telling her she can only have her chicken nuggets once a day, because they're bad for her, and give her other healthy meals that are delicious. From then, you can cut down on them until she's hardly ever eating them.
    Maybe, you should just not buy them. If you don't have them, she can't eat them no matter how much she whines.

Cutting them into cute shapes helps too. Like, you can slice a strawberry and cut it into flower shapes. It's time-consuming, but worth it. Also, try giving her some chocolate milk. it's sweet, but it has the nutrients of normal milk too.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You seem to be the only person that gets this!

What people don't seem to remember is that she's 2. After reading the initial post I talked to a few actual educators I know who have not only had to take the psychology part that comes with being an educator, but the nutritional part as well. They are DISAGREE with the "eat or go to bed hungry" method. If she were older, yes... but again, she's TWO!
  • CatchMom11
    Options
    Again, she's TWO! She's incapable of being manipulative.
  • CatchMom11
    Options
    Couldn't agree more! It's a phase and it will pass.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    "broken record" works quite well with small children:

I want chicken nuggets!!!

No chicken nuggets tonight. Would you rather have peanut butter/jelly or ravioli?

Chicken nuggets!!

Nope. Now, how about some ravioli or would you rather have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

Don't want that. Gimme Chicken nuggets.

Peanut butter and jelly or ravioli??

Etc...

Don't debate it, don't discuss or try to rationalize it. There ARE no chicken nuggets tonight. If you're hungry you can have A or B.

The end.

Ps...I have three children and have given a home to several others. The oldest is 28 and the youngest is 6. We don't have mealtime battles because I choose not to engage. Here is the food, take it or leave it.
  • suzibrew
    suzibrew Posts: 23
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions! She is only 2 so I wouldn't do anything too drastic, but I have a friend who has a son who is now 14. All of his life she has catered to his special food quirks. To this day he is a horrible eater he will not eat chicken breast or drumsticks only nuggets he won't eat beef unless it is a hamburger patty. He has countless other weird eating "things" and she has to cook separately for him all the time. He doesn't seem to eat fruits and veggies at all. Just way too picky and his mom fully believes she has created this "monster".

I have three boys all very different personalities and have all been thru their different phases. I have always tried to make fruit available for snacks, it is easy to get them hooked on fruit!

I like the idea someone had that when she is hungry at bedtime she gets a plate of the dinner that was served to the family. I often leave my littlest ones dinner (he is 7) when he won't eat it and eventually he comes back to it. He says I'm hungry and I say your dinner is on the table!!!!

Good luck! Don't lose sleep over it! Enjoy your sweet 2 year old girl.....for one day she will be a teenager : )
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Again, she's TWO! She's incapable of being manipulative.

Then you haven't met my son. Babies are not capable of being manipulative, toddlers are. He totally manipulates his baby sitter. He knows he's not supposed to eat on the couch, but when he's with her the first thing he does when she says "breakfast" is climb up on the couch and point at the spot next to him. Toddlers are manipulative.
    Fodd conversations with my son go like this, "B it's time for dinner." If he doesn't want what's for dinner he gets another vegetable option and another lean meat option. He knows what to expect, she needs to know to expect something different. I'm not an "eat everything on your plate mom" I'm an "eat as much as you want of what I give you mom."
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    I didn't read many of the replies, but in my experience kids go through so many phases and this is just one of them, let her eat her nuggets, I have 3 kids and they have all went through this with some type of food, if your worried about her nutrition you can supplement it with pediasure, I had to do this when my daughter wouldn't eat anything but cantalope and some days she wouldn't eat at all pediasure became a life saver, now that she is 5 she will at least try everything set in front of her which I think is great and if she doesn't like it I know she doesn't like it, and I think not forcing her to eat things when she really only had a taste for cantalope helped. my boys which are 9 and 13 yrs old still go through these phases but they last for about a week or two at a time and since they are older I allow it to be one meal now that they are in school it'll be as an after school snack. sorry this got so dragged out.

I completely forgot with my boys I used to get them to try new foods by pretending we were on the show fear factor do you remember this show they use to eat disgusting things and my boys would say " their wimps I could eat that" so I would name the food gross things like "come eat your maggots and sheep brains". They loved it.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I like the 'options' option. Let her help choose what goes on her plate, and try to always have at least one choice that she will most likely eat.

If she asks for nuggets scoop her up and give her a kiss and tell her I am sorry baby but there are no nuggets tonight, and then let it go, tell her the options again. etc.

If you serve up the nuggets it should be on your own terms - on a fresh day.

I don't make my kids eat, but I tell them that I expect them to be polite and sit with the family at the table until dinner is over. Then they get to see me and hubby eat our dinners as well as have the family time that is so hard to get. We also have a rule that they are not allowed to say "I don't like XYZ" cause if one kids says it the other kids tries to live it. So if they don't like something they are allowed to just leave it on their plate.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my 2 year old son. Unfortunately she knows you're going to give into her. I know it's hard for you but you need to let her go to bed with a sore belly. I had to let my son go to bed without dinner 3 nights in a row. I did offer him milk and water though as I didn't want to starve the kid. After a few days he understood. His thing is peanut butter sandwiches. Now he get's them maybe twice a week and he knows that no matter what I won't budge.
  • laura2501
    laura2501 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    what are u people on, she is only 2 let her eat nuggets she will get bored of them in the end she is eating and she is healthy NEVER send a child to bed :HuNGERY she will be fine mine lived on sausages for over 6 months took him to the doctor and he said not to worry i didnt and now he is 14 eats like a pig and wont touch a sausage ,she will be fine dont worry
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and in my experience small children really stick to what they know and whats safe. Apparently they need to try new food something like 16 times before they will trust it enough to eat it.
    A two year old is too small to reason with particularly (at 3 nearly 4 I can ask my child to make an effort to at least eat some of whats on offer and then give her a little of what she likes).
    I believe in always offering choice - when we get up I ask do you want weet bix or crispies for breakfast and she varies, but I know if she were a two year old and I just told her she was having weet bix she could possibly make a fuss.

i don't believe in making a fuss about food either as this can make meal times which should be fun into a war zone. I'd give one chicken nugget on a plate with other child friendly food - potato mash, spagetti, baked beans....and not say a word just let her eat what she wants. No dialogue about what she has or has not eaten.
    If she's hungry later because she hasn't eaten enough give her a banana or some yoghurt or a plain biscuit, but the nuggets limit them to only one only at a main meal, they are not something to snack on anyway.
    You need to be firm and she'll soon get the hang of it.
    I don't think it should be allowed to go on that she only eats nuggets, mainly becuase she is manipulating you and you need her to learn that you're not a short order cook - she eats what dinner is doesn't put an order in!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, what a nightmare. Good luck to you :)

I am not a mom, but I am a former chef and do have a sugesstion.... perhaps getting her involved in the meal preperation would help. My experience with kids is that sometimes they can be scared of something becaue they don't understand it. I wonder if making it 'fun' somehow would help.

I just thought of that scene from "A Christmas Story" ..... "Show mummy how the piggys eat!"

LOL, good luck.

This sounds like a great idea. My kids love it when they help cook something and we all sit down and say how delicious it is. A toddler can stir, spread stuff on bread or even mould balls or patties.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    One of my brothers lived on potato waffles, chips and roast potatoes for almost 20 years. Now he's 25 and he lives on chicken nuggets, chicken burgers, chicken dippers and cheese and tomato pizza. My mum tried refusing to allow him the things he'd eat. He simply didn't eat and made himself seriously ill. She tried rewarding him for trying new things. He'd put something new in his mouth and promptly throw up. She tried tricking him by making one food look like something else. Same result, as soon as he tasted it he was sick. He was at the hospital regularly as a kid because of his eating problems.

They say he has a food phobia stemming from a terrible stomach upset he had while being weaned, everything he ate then came straight back up. As he's gotten older he's said it doesn't matter how much he wants to try something he physically can't do so without being sick.
  • Robyn4444
    Robyn4444 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've got a 13 year old & 15 year old, so I've had my share of food battles! Oh, they don't stop...hello potato gems.

My suggestion would be to stop bringing the chicken nuggets into the house. She can look in the freezer all she likes, but if they're not there, they're not there.

Also, and I've done this, when you are making your dinner, sit her up at the bench and as you chop up the carrots "for your dinner", put them on a plate in front of you. Do the same with some beans. Chat away to her as you are preparing dinner, and she'll probably start picking at some of the veggies you are preparing. You could even put out a small pot of dip out (avocado or cream cheese) As long as she doesn't think it's for her, she might just pinch a couple of things off the plate. If she does fall for this, even if she refuses to eat anything else, she won't go to bed hungry.

I agree with the post about it being a battle of wills.

Good luck.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm still getting over the idea of being a 2 year old in a house with fish sticks, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, cheese-its etc. as dining options. I did not have such an experience. Nor did I, as far as I know, have the experience of dictating to my parents what I was going to eat, I think it was the other way round. I definitely went through the I *won't* eat it phase (known as my entire childhood, I believe) but maybe that was because I didn't have the option of living on french fries which I'm sure I would have eaten 24-7 had someone introduced this as a possibliity. Those things were known as occasional treats. Like at a fair. Like every several months, if that.

Stop feeding your kids junk. Stop eating junk. There will be tons of other things to fight about, but at least everyone will be healthier and without lifelong weight issues.
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have two opinions on this...

1) let her have an empty achy belly.. she will eventually eat what you give her.

2) bribe her with cash. kids love cash.. :D
  • furrina
    Options
    she did let me know that what I didn't eat for breakfast would be served to me again, this time cold from the refrigerator, when I returned home for lunch. Occasionally, I went back to school after a lunch of cold cream of wheat. It didn't happen often, but there were no surprises -- my mother was very clear about what would happen if I didn't eat my breakfast, and she stuck to it.

This would be my mom...
  • sfalk1977
    sfalk1977 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I worked in childcare for over 10 years, and I can tell you truthfully what is going on here is a battle of wills. She's learned that if she waits long enough you will cave and give her what she wants.

No doubt that when she looks at you with big sad eyes saying her belly hurts that you must feel like the worst mom in the world....but you need to tell yourself you are NOT hurting her by wanting her to eat healthy foods. Her belly is hurting because she is being stubborn by not eating what you have put in front of her - not because you're a bad mom. You have to remind yourself of this, because those sad eyes can reduce you to mush.

I promise you this...when she gets hungry enough, she WILL eat something besides chicken nuggets (so long as the nuggets aren't being offered.) If you took them totally out of the house and didn't buy any more for at least a month, she will eventually start to discover other foods that she likes.

Also, this may take a while, so you have to be strong and determined. Children sometimes need to try something new up to 20 times before they will accept it. So its a tough road but very very worth it.

You would be doing her a huge favour to NOT serve her chicken nuggets again. She's at an age where she is learning habits that will last a life time. Instilling good eating habits now will definitely help her through her whole life - even if she doesn't like it right now.

Stay strong girl. :flowerforyou:

I agree - I have a 4 year old and 2 1/2 year old. Both have been through this phase. It is tough emotionally but you will be helping her in the long run.
  • furrina
    Options
    Tell her too many chicken nuggets will turn her into a chicken???

this would be my dad...