Obligatory "what do you look for in a spouse/partner" thread

Replies

• candb
    candb Posts: 238
    I'll preface this by saying that this list would only matter if anything were to happen to my husband. And sadly, a lot of the things on my list are characteristics he does not possess (some he does). But that's how it goes, right? You don't know what you need until you don't have it.

1. Loves God.
    2. Loves my children as His own.
    3. Would possibly want more children (depending on my age at the time and if he had any of his own from before me).
    4. Patience
    5. Good sense of humor.
    6. Understands that my children (any he has woudl be included) must be my top priority.... at least until they're adults.
    7. A willingness to be involved in church.
    8. A forgiving heart.
    9. Likes to cuddle
    10. Physically active. And if he doesn't care to participate in the same types of workouts as me, he can at least cheer me on (and me him).
    11. Family-oriented. Wants to play with our kids instead of just coming home from work, turning on the tv, and zoning out.
    12. Someone who would be willing to seek counseling if either one feels it is necessary at any point in time.
    13. Non-judgemental
    14. DDF.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    By the way ---- the guy that posted "no gag reflex" reminded me that good sex & "size matters" are part of my criteria ;)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Must not pee the bed or on me.

I should have put that on my list!

You'd be shocked. Seriously.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    By the way ---- the guy that posted "no gag reflex" reminded me that good sex & "size matters" are part of my criteria ;)

Darlin you always used to crack me up! I take my women penis free personally! lol
  • JaydeSkye
    I'll preface this by saying that this list would only matter if anything were to happen to my husband. And sadly, a lot of the things on my list are characteristics he does not possess (some he does). But that's how it goes, right? You don't know what you need until you don't have it.

1. Loves God.
    2. Loves my children as His own.
    3. Would possibly want more children (depending on my age at the time and if he had any of his own from before me).
    4. Patience
    5. Good sense of humor.
    6. Understands that my children (any he has woudl be included) must be my top priority.... at least until they're adults.
    7. A willingness to be involved in church.
    8. A forgiving heart.
    9. Likes to cuddle
    10. Physically active. And if he doesn't care to participate in the same types of workouts as me, he can at least cheer me on (and me him).
    11. Family-oriented. Wants to play with our kids instead of just coming home from work, turning on the tv, and zoning out.
    12. Someone who would be willing to seek counseling if either one feels it is necessary at any point in time.
    13. Non-judgemental
    14. DDF.

Awwww, I want to give you a hug. Your list seems very realistic and I'm assuming your children are with your husband.. You mention lots of "family" stuff in your criteria and say that he lacks lots of your criteria. Just wanted to say that sometimes it takes some guys awhile to settle into Daddy/Husband mode. I'm hoping that this changes for you, soon. ((hugs))
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Yeah, now that I think about it, I'd give up everything else on my list for one thing.

Hockey Player. <3
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    I can't believe I left "knit me a sweater" off my list!

I wondered if you'd finally given up on that! :-) Good to know all my efforts haven't been in vain! Whew!

Taping random scraps of cloth together IS NOT knitting a sweater!

Hey! Have you been spying on me?!
  • SoldierDad

Well I have been with some, um, out there women but thankful none pissed on me or my bed. Now one time my dog climbed into the bed and pissed on a woman I was seeing but that wasn't any of my doing!
  • JaydeSkye

LMAO I hope that was an "I'm too drunk to wake up" wetting the bed and not something that happened all the time. haha
  • kmb9522
    kmb9522 Posts: 2
    No gag reflex.

That's what RSI is for.
  • SoldierDad

I wondered if you'd finally given up on that! :-) Good to know all my efforts haven't been in vain! Whew!

Look... just buy some dang yarn!
  • JaydeSkye
    Yeah, now that I think about it, I'd give up everything else on my list for one thing.

Hockey Player. <3

I married one, becareful what you wish for.. when you playfight, they throw hipchecks that'll knock you into the next room. Seriously, I've been flown through drywall. hahaaa
  • SoldierDad

LMAO I hope that was an "I'm too drunk to wake up" wetting the bed and not something that happened all the time. haha

I agree with you there darlin!!!
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Actually.....just some one willing to stick it out. My wife and I couldn't be more different on EVERYTHING. But some how it works. But not without work. If there is one thing I know about human beings, very few of us actually know what we want. So lists are great and all, but don't disqaulify what could be the love of your life just because she's not into country music or cowboys.

^I like this post. If I had made a list around the time I met my husband, he would not have made the cut. I would never have imagined we would be together and married 10 years later. As our relationship has gone on, we have dealt with so much and argued a ton, but we've also grown and changed for each other and are now a perfect fit. It's not 100% easy every day, but our good times far outweigh the bad these days.
  • Must not pee the bed or on me.

Haha I would hope so!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    OK, On pissing the bed...

Story 1: 6 people - one hotel room - concert - all Marines & their Significant Others. 3 of us in one bed. I wake up soaked. Marine in the middle of myself and another girl pissed the bed. I'm soaked... In hot Marine piss. Guess what?? That's not hot.

Story 2: Dating someone my age. About 3 months in, wake up soaked. Do you see a theme here?

Story 3: First Date. After dinner drinks. Conversation leads to "you into anything weird?" To me, this means... is the foot of the bed OK? No. He admits he gets a power trip off a golden shower. Date... Over.

Seriously, I'm lowering my standards to: Does not wet the bed or piss on me.
  • SoldierDad

Ed avoids the golden showers at all time!

Haha I would hope so!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member

Look... just buy some dang yarn!

So you're saying you want ME to knit you a sweater? All you had to do was ask! But you're supposed to make me one first or I won't know you're really committed!
  • SoldierDad
    OK, On pissing the bed...

Story 1: 6 people - one hotel room - concert - all Marines & their Significant Others. 3 of us in one bed. I wake up soaked. Marine in the middle of myself and another girl pissed the bed. I'm soaked... In hot Marine piss. Guess what?? That's not hot.

Story 2: Dating someone my age. About 3 months in, wake up soaked. Do you see a theme here?

Story 3: First Date. After dinner drinks. Conversation leads to "you into anything weird?" To me, this means... is the foot of the bed OK? No. He admits he gets a power trip off a golden shower. Date... Over.

Jeez I thought I was kinly cause I like to use ropes and I am very rough. No peepee for me please!
  • OK, On pissing the bed...

I kinda see the theme, that all those guys needs depends..