Who does not eat back exercise calories???

Options
12345679»

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i dont exercise enough where I feel there is any need. xD plus, working out doesn't make me hungry so...no point in eating extra calories when its tough enough to eat 1,200 (healthily) sometimes ^.^
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Don't be frustrated. People will do what they like, it's always good to give a different perspective.

As for me, I dunno... I'm using a heart rate monitor and I'm only burning barely 50 cals during the weight lifting so... even if I decided to eat it back that'd be like an apple. ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Don't be frustrated. People will do what they like, it's always good to give a different perspective.

As for me, I dunno... I'm using a heart rate monitor and I'm only burning barely 50 cals during the weight lifting so... even if I decided to eat it back that'd be like an apple. ;)

The only thing that frustrates me is the same people that push not to eat exercise calories come back once they plateau and can't figure it out. So you explain the science behind weihgt loss, and provide the supporting data (this is what I do at least) and then they ignore the recommendations.

The problem comes into play because people don't want to respond anymore to these request for that reason. Hell, in fact, I worked with someone for 2 months, but in the end she never upped her calories and she made 3 other threads about how she can't lose weight and she was frustrated. It drove me to a point, where i refused to help anymore.

I understand everyone has to approach this differently and not everyone has the same goal but just don't complain if you aren't willing to try anything different.
  • penrbrown
    Options

The only thing that frustrates me is the same people that push not to eat exercise calories come back once they plateau and can't figure it out. So you explain the science behind weihgt loss, and provide the supporting data (this is what I do at least) and then they ignore the recommendations.

The problem comes into play because people don't want to respond anymore to these request for that reason. Hell, in fact, I worked with someone for 2 months, but in the end she never upped her calories and she made 3 other threads about how she can't lose weight and she was frustrated. It drove me to a point, where i refused to help anymore.

I understand everyone has to approach this differently and not everyone has the same goal but just don't complain if you aren't willing to try anything different.

Some people are the ones who want the diet pills and the quick fix and others realize that they're making a life change.

You can help the latter, you can't help the former.

The latter shouldn't be punished for the short sightedness of the former...

What I'm saying is, give your advice, fill every frustrating thread with bits of wisdom. You never know who will come along, read your post and go: Oh... that sounds reasonable!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Wow! I wear my HRM during lifting too. Everyone says its not accurate for lifting (and they may be right), but I've stayed exactly on track in terms of fat loss while using my HRM to determine cal burn for lifting. Either way, for a 30-45 minute lifting session, I'll burn 450-600 cals. But I also lift HARD to failure on each set.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Wow! I wear my HRM during lifting too. Everyone says its not accurate for lifting (and they may be right), but I've stayed exactly on track in terms of fat loss while using my HRM to determine cal burn for lifting. Either way, for a 30-45 minute lifting session, I'll burn 450-600 cals. But I also lift HARD to failure on each set.

I work to failure too... but I'm a weakling and I just started. :) So in 15-30 minutes I end up so sore I can barely move BUT I burn very little. Maybe, eventually, I'll hit the point where you are but as a beginner I'm no where near that. Also, I'm doing the form of lifting where you move from one body part to the other without breaks, because I heard it's better... so it's not like I'm sitting around or anything... I'm just such a weakling that my best effort doesn't create a huge burn yet.

You should see me squeaking my push ups out. HAHAHA. It's pathetically funny.
  • LaneAndKent
    LaneAndKent Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hate making a point to eat back my "exercise calories." What if I decide at the last minute to go on a late-night walk? Do I need to then come back home and cram an extra 500 calories down right before bed so I won't go into "starvation mode"?

Admittedly, it's confusing, and I'm certainly no expert. I lost 40 pounds in 3 months eating 1200-1400 calories per day and burning 500 on average. (In other words, I didn't eat them back.)Then I plateaued. I haven't quite figured out the cause, because it's hard to believe I'm in "starvation mode" when I was still obese at 212 pounds and never really felt hungry. Still, I lowered the carbs and upped the calories for a few days. Seemed to help. (I managed to fiddle away another 8 pounds since then, so no harm done, I guess.)

However, the plateau also coincided with a time frame where I unintentionally quit doing Tae Bo, which is the most challenging workout I do. I still did a lot of walking and Body Electric and bicycling, but I couldn't seem to fit in Tae Bo and didn't worry about it, at first. Then it hit me that despite burning calories, my body wasn't getting enough of a challenge.

So who knows why I plateaued? I'm not asking anyone to tell me, because honestly, no one but God knows. All I know is I should do what is healthy, to some extent following my instincts and doing what works for me. I did Tae Bo yesterday and was down a full pound today. I'm also eating the way I was in the beginning—1200-1400 healthy calories (very little sugar or white flour or artificial flavors).

Take care of your metabolism, but don't be bullied into "eating back all your exercise calories" if you're eating adequate calories to start with (unless you just want to eat them and it's working). Based on the logic of some here, if you're losing more than 2 pounds a week, you're literally killing yourself. Granted, 2 pounds a week is safe, but there are plenty of safe ways to lose a little faster.
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I run about 70 miles a week and go to the gym. I would not survive on the 1200 MFP gives me!
    I think MFP over estimates exercise so I have adjusted it down based on other formulas from other places
    After logging mh exercise I usually have a few hundred spare calories which accounts for under recording!

On a rare rest day, like the day before a marathon I will allow myself to go over knowing that I will be way under the next day, eg last weekend I was over by about 400 on sat but under by over 1000 on Sunday after a 37 mile race, I was then also a bit over on Monday. So sometimes I might borrow calories from another day!

I would really struggle to survive on 1200 a day. I think in order to get the nutrients you require on 1200 every single mouthful must have go be good quality, no room for junk, I would really struggle with that !
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I work to failure too... but I'm a weakling and I just started. :) So in 15-30 minutes I end up so sore I can barely move BUT I burn very little. Maybe, eventually, I'll hit the point where you are but as a beginner I'm no where near that. Also, I'm doing the form of lifting where you move from one body part to the other without breaks, because I heard it's better... so it's not like I'm sitting around or anything... I'm just such a weakling that my best effort doesn't create a huge burn yet.

You should see me squeaking my push ups out. HAHAHA. It's pathetically funny.

OK.... sorry, I re-read my post and didn't mean to come off like I was saying you weren't working hard or anything like that. I do pretty good w/ the weights now, but I'm still pathetic on the bench. Guys walk by and say "you need to slap another couple plates on that bar". Then the girls walk by and laugh (ok, that doesn't happen, but it would be kinda funny). :)
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat them, but only because I rarely feel hungry when eating healthily. I have my three meals a day, and feel full after dinner, so it just doesn't seem to make sense to stuff myself with more food. If I get hungry I'll eat :)
  • penrbrown
    Options
    OK.... sorry, I re-read my post and didn't mean to come off like I was saying you weren't working hard or anything like that. I do pretty good w/ the weights now, but I'm still pathetic on the bench. Guys walk by and say "you need to slap another couple plates on that bar". Then the girls walk by and laugh (ok, that doesn't happen, but it would be kinda funny). :)

:) I'm sure the girls walk by and check you out, not laugh.

I know when I went to the gym (have a gym in my basement now so don't need to go!) I was usually checking the guys out. SHHH... I was working out TOO but it was nice to have some eye candy while I was. Hee.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I don't. I eat high-fat, which keeps me feeling very filled during the day. I'd have to force feed myself in order to eat back my exercise calories.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I like this discussion none the less..everyone has different opinions and everyone has different approaches..but what ever works, works, that's all I can say....

I just try to deal with my daily routine..and add more healthy stuff than not.. its hard to get those exercise cals up..especially if you work out at night..so, I just try and get a recovery mini meal in after or snack..and that seems to work for me..but its a slow process..but I put this weight on over the years...so I figure its going to come off slowly, and I gotta be patient....tried the quick fix nonsense..and it back fired many times...So now am here just to get healthy and do it the right way.. Cause everyone has a different lifestyle and can be rough! :wink: