"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Injury update: Sleep last night was hard to come by, and this morning I was definitely moving around like an old man, uber stiff and low-to-moderate pain. I've been keeping up on ibuprofen and microwave heating pads, and now early afternoon I'm walking around without a limp and only minimal stiffness, so despite the morning's discomfort I think I avoided any actual injury. But while part of me can't wait to get back in the gym, including deadlifts, another part of me is asking me to reexamine the "Do I NEED to deadlift" thread, start taking into account my age, since this is twice I've gotten hurt doing a deadlift in the last 8 months, the first time costing me several months of lifting, and this time to be determined. Doesn't matter if I enjoy it, if it has a higher chance of injury, pain and missed time. *grump*

Food: After the commute home last night, was far too stiff to stand in the kitchen and cook, so we ordered Pizza Hut, with pizza, wings and cinnamon sticks.
    Consider rack deadlifts
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy weekend! Leg day!!! I bought a front squat harness so they are easier to control. Trying it today.

Cardio: Walk/jog- 260 calories

Strength: Quads- leg press, front squats, hack squats, walking lunges. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Bonchon Korean fried chicken for dinner.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Full schedule today. Laundry and grocery shopping.

Cardio Walking/jog- 30min (260 calories)

Strength: Hamstrings- lying leg curls, seated leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Sushi and fruit for dinner.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Full schedule and kickboxing class tonight.

Strength: shoulders- shoulder press, dumbbell side laterals, high elbow rear pulls, facepulls, cable side laterals 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Panera for dinner. Strawberry poppyseed salad with chicken.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    Weights: Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Chest-Supported Machine Row 5x5
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 5x5
    Seated Smith OHP <superset> BB Shrugs 3x8
    Cable Pushdown <superset> Preacher Curl 3x8

Analysis: Think I dodged any major injury bullet. Hurt my lower back doing deadlifts Thursday, Friday was stiff without pain, Saturday was frankly miserable, but Sunday was almost like the injury never occurred. Felt good enough to hit the gym today, though I did make a couple accommodations to remove any lower-back strain by swapping the cable row for chest-supported machine row, and the DB OHP with a seated Smith version. Now to think how I'll change up tomorrow's leg day, starting with nixing the deadlifts, but per your advice, @ninerbuff, maybe including rack pulls, or maybe saving that for next week. Will depend in part on how my back feels after a day spent at my work desk sandwiched between a pair of long commutes.

Food: Dinner was roasted hotdogs and s'mores over a backyard burn pit. Low in protein, low in taste and satisfaction, but high in laughs and quality time with family.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang

Happy Tuesday! Full schedule and kickboxing class this morning.

Cardio: Walking/jog- 260 calories

Strength: chest- incline chest press, machine flat bench, dips, machine flyes, cable crossovers. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Popeye's chicken sandwich and fries
  • nossmf
    Options
    Weights: Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 3x5
    One-Leg Press 3x8
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Calf Extension 4x12
    Cable Crunch 3x10

Analysis: Per your suggestion, @ninerbuff, I swapped out deadlifts for rack pulls. Since this is my first day trying them out, plus wanting to ease my lower back into lifting, I went light for most of my sets, only the final set getting up to within 10% of what I was pulling on deadlift. A couple observations: one, this is a short range of motion, and two, it felt really, really light, even on the final set. I've long known that my weak point in deadlifts was the first few inches off the ground, and that if I could get it to knee height then lockout was assured, but I hadn't realized just how much strength disparity there was. I also question whether my form was as locked in as I thought it was.

Food: Dinner last night was spaghetti with a side salad (no dressing).
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Weights: Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 3x5
    One-Leg Press 3x8
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Calf Extension 4x12
    Cable Crunch 3x10

Analysis: Per your suggestion, @ninerbuff, I swapped out deadlifts for rack pulls. Since this is my first day trying them out, plus wanting to ease my lower back into lifting, I went light for most of my sets, only the final set getting up to within 10% of what I was pulling on deadlift. A couple observations: one, this is a short range of motion, and two, it felt really, really light, even on the final set. I've long known that my weak point in deadlifts was the first few inches off the ground, and that if I could get it to knee height then lockout was assured, but I hadn't realized just how much strength disparity there was. I also question whether my form was as locked in as I thought it was.

Food: Dinner last night was spaghetti with a side salad (no dressing).
    SInce the bottom part uses more hip flexors, glutes and quads, the lift from the knees only really stimulates the lower back, hamstrings and glutes at the top of the movement. So it's not uncommon to get the loads up on this but because the motion is shorter, there's actually less strain on the low back.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy Humpday! Full schedule and my long day.

Cardio: jog/walk- 30 minutes (300 calories)

Strength: biceps- barbell curls, preacher curls, cable curls 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Homemade hamburger for dinner.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Cardio: Elliptical - one hour hills (800 calories)

Food: Dinner - spicy tomato pork chops with green beans (new recipe found online, though the reality was very bland not spicy)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang!

Happy Thursday! Full schedule and kickboxing class.

Strength: back- pulldowns, bent over barbell rows, seated cable rows, straight arm pulldowns, 4x12,10, 8, 6.

Assessment: Pizza last night.

• nossmf
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Weights: Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 4x12
    Machine Fly 3x12
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10
    Machine Lateral Raise 4x12
    Machine Curl <superset> Machine Pushdown 3x10
    Perloff Press 3x15sec

Analysis: Back's recovered enough I did my entire normal workout, and it came through with flying colors! My pulldown weight is almost equal to my body weight, so am thinking of swapping out pullUPs for the current pullDOWNs. Used to use pullups to START a back workout, swapped in pulldowns when I moved the movement pattern to the middle, but should be good to revert back now.

Food: Dinner - French dip sandwiches with baked fries last night
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy TGIF! Full schedule. Lost one client and obtained 4 more this week.

Cardio: jog/walk- 3 miles (350 calories)

Strength: triceps- pressdowns, lying tricep extensions, cable kickbacks, machine dips 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment Taco Bell for dinner.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Leg day!!! Just some yard work and cleaning today.

Strength: Quads- leg press, safety squats, hack squats, walking lunges. 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Panda Express for dinner.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Weights: Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    BB RDL 4x10
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Seated Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend 4x12
    Suitcase Carry 3x40s

Food: Dinner - baked salmon with rice and broccoli last night
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Strength: doing Stronglifts 5x5, today was barbell squats, bench press, rows, all 5x5

Cardio: focusing on heat rate zone 2 training. Did half hour on the treadmill.

Assessment: stayed within calorie limit. Lots of veggies and protein.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy weekend! Full schedule today. Laundry and grocery shopping.

Cardio Walking/jog- 30min (260 calories)

Strength: Hamstrings- lying leg curls, seated leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6.

Assessment: Popeye's chicken sandwich for dinner.

• nossmf
    Options
    Welcome to the thread, @coderdan82! Hope you feel free to continue posting here. Lots of people have posted over the years, only @ninerbuff and myself have remained consistent. Maybe you'll make 3!
  • nossmf
    Options
    For myself, no training today, have to return to pulling shift rotation for the next couple months due to losing several people in the last couple months. Hopefully the new peeps will be fully trained and certified crew ready by mid-October, but until then, my gym time will need to adapt based upon my work schedule. Next session will likely be Wednesday, as I hate working out after a full day of work, I much prefer going before.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey gang,

Happy Monday! Full schedule and kickboxing class tonight. Go by the school today to confirm my yard duty statis.

Strength: shoulders- shoulder press, dumbbell side laterals, high elbow rear pulls, facepulls, cable side laterals 4x12,10,8,6

Assessment: Sushi last night for dinner.