12 years old and 272 pounds!!!

Options

Replies

• 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I was around that weight when I was twelve. This is kind of offensive to me. :/

Is it offensive because you empathize with the child in question, or because you feel that people blaming the mother feels like your own mother is being attacked? or something else? (just curious)

anyway, nowadays, there is so much more information and help available. CLEARLY the mother must know this is unhealthy.
    even 10 years ago, people would probably brush it off thinking there was a thyroid problem, or it was just "baby fat" they would "thin out" during their next growth spurt...
  • shadysyrup313
    shadysyrup313 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The parents are at fault. Not the schools, not society, not fast food,
  • AParker1974
    AParker1974 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's hard to really point the finger and blame just one person here. As a mom, I know its my responsibility to bring in the house good, wholesome, healthy foods for my family to eat, and I haven't always done that. I myself have a 15 year old son who is overweight, my two other sons are at a normal weight for their age. Some may look at me and say I am to blame for my older son's weight gain for not making good food choices for him. But how is it that my other two sons don't have a weight issue? My son's problem, and the thing we are struggling with now, is to eat in moderation. He just doesn't realize his consent "snacking" is a problem for him. I am trying to bring home snacks that would be better for him to eat. But you have to eat the "good stuff" in moderation as well. I am trying my best to teach him the right way to eat but its hard because I myself am just learning that same thing.
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of 3 & my youngest is 11 years old & is very overweight, I do control what she eats & how much, she was born weighing in at 9 lbs. 8 oz. obesity runs in the family which is what this childs life could be like but that amount of weight is just WAY too much
  • ai965
    ai965 Posts: 118
    Options
    What seems strange to me is that so many choose to judge children who are obese and their families, yet rarely talk about childhood anorexia or bulimia (which, as I may remind you, can be even MORE damaging). Whose fault is that? I admit that it may not be as frequent as childhood obesity, but just because one disease/disorder is more rare than the other doesn't make it any less of an issue.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    The mom buys the food, of course it's the moms fault. A no-brainer there <.<
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    What seems strange to me is that so many choose to judge children who are obese and their families, yet rarely talk about childhood anorexia or bulimia (which, as I may remind you, can be even MORE damaging). Whose fault is that? I admit that it may not be as frequent as childhood obesity, but just because one disease/disorder is more rare than the other doesn't make it any less of an issue.

People don't talk about it BECAUSE it's not as common. Childhood obesity can be seen nearly everywhere, so of course it would receive more attention.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Now, what do you do when you have a child like mine who sneaks food?? Let's see, I caught her today sneaking some 100 calorie pack cookies.....I have found pudding cups in the chair and granola wrappers in her bed. I have caught her about to sneak food out of the fridge. She pretends to eat veggies....My husband has caught her sneaking food in the middle of the night. We are at our wits end and are about to buy locks for the cabinets and the fridge. She hates it because I make her walk and jog on the treadmill and make her ride her bike. She's eight yrs old and the sneaking food has caused her to gain quite a bit of weight. I try to model healthy eating and exercise, but she doesn't care, and the doctor doesn't seem concerned. We talked to her about diabetes (her dad developed that last year) and it didn't phase her, the doctor isn't concerned, all he says is don't let her gain any more weight. Something drastic needs to happen but I'm not sure what to do anymore. Yes, she goes outside, but I found out she's just sitting around out there and that's when I started making her ride her bike. She is almost 5' and 114lbs...I'm pulling my hair out!
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    I have two girls 3rd and 1st grade. Both teachers require healthy snacks. But the cafeteria food? You've got to be kidding me. I do not allow my children to eat that garbage.

As for those who are posting that it may be a medical reason, or an underlying reason: I wonder: at what point in time is it the parents' responsibility to take their child to the doctor to find out what's wrong? If either of my children were gaining weight on the healthy foods I feed them, I'd get them into the doctor ASAP to find out WHAT was going on. To let one's child reach almost 300 pounds is clearly neglect. If one's child developed a high fever and severe cough, one would take that child to the doctor, correct? How is this any different?

:drinker: agreed, very well-put!
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    Now, what do you do when you have a child like mine who sneaks food?? Let's see, I caught her today sneaking some 100 calorie pack cookies.....I have found pudding cups in the chair and granola wrappers in her bed. I have caught her about to sneak food out of the fridge. She pretends to eat veggies....My husband has caught her sneaking food in the middle of the night. We are at our wits end and are about to buy locks for the cabinets and the fridge. She hates it because I make her walk and jog on the treadmill and make her ride her bike. She's eight yrs old and the sneaking food has caused her to gain quite a bit of weight. I try to model healthy eating and exercise, but she doesn't care, and the doctor doesn't seem concerned. We talked to her about diabetes (her dad developed that last year) and it didn't phase her, the doctor isn't concerned, all he says is don't let her gain any more weight. Something drastic needs to happen but I'm not sure what to do anymore. Yes, she goes outside, but I found out she's just sitting around out there and that's when I started making her ride her bike. She is almost 5' and 114lbs...I'm pulling my hair out!

Not trying to be rude, but if you didnt leave that stuff around your house, there wouldnt be a problem. Your daughter is eight years old, she doesn't know any better...if you want to keep pudding in the house, then buy the locks. :/

ps: I'm 21, 4'10", and 114 pounds is too much for me! I can't imagine on an eight year old. ^.^;;;
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    I BLAME THE MOM MOST BECAUSE SHE BUYS THE FOOD IN THE HOUSEHOLD. LONG BEFORE NOW SHE SHOULD STOP BUYING ALL SNACKS AS WELL AS CHANGE THE WAY FOOD IS BEING PREPARED IN THE HOME. SHE SHOULD ALSO GET THE CHILD INVOLVED IN SOME FORM OF EXERCISE. IF IT WERE MY CHILD I WOULD GET OUT AND EXERCISE WITH HER. IT IS VERRY UNHEALTHY FOR THE CHILD TO WEIGH THAT MUCH.
  • CindiBryce
    Options

Not trying to be rude, but if you didnt leave that stuff around your house, there wouldnt be a problem. Your daughter is eight years old, she doesn't know any better...if you want to keep pudding in the house, then buy the locks. :/

ps: I'm 21, 4'10", and 114 pounds is too much for me! I can't imagine on an eight year old. ^.^;;;
    I agree. Eliminate the unhealthy food and condition the child to like healthy food. When children are at this age, it is crucial to help them distinguish which foods to eat, and which ones not to eat.
  • mamax5
    Options
    I told her what the pudding was for and how long it was to last and how many she was allowed to have a day...1 pudding cup after school and was in the high cabinet. I have things like rice cake snacks, and baby carrots. She is sneaking things that are "healthy" but a person can over eat on stuff like that as well. I just wished I could get through to her and make her understand what she is doing when she sneaks food.....I do think there might be something medical, but the doctor thinks nothing is wrong and la dee da's his way through appointments. I 've tried all kinds of things with her. She started gaining weight when she was 2 and after she got in school she really gained weight fast! I don't want to put a lot of blame on school, but I think there needs to be more PE in her school and I really don't know what to do about it.

I guess it's time for the locks on the cabinets and the fridge. sigh. I do want to be clear, she's not sneaking junk food.....I haven't had chips in the house in a very long time...or cookies. I may have eaten them, but I've had to hide them from her....I have self control over those kinds of foods, she does not have any at all. Like I've said before, I'm at my witts end.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    I told her what the pudding was for and how long it was to last and how many she was allowed to have a day...1 pudding cup after school and was in the high cabinet. I have things like rice cake snacks, and baby carrots. She is sneaking things that are "healthy" but a person can over eat on stuff like that as well. I just wished I could get through to her and make her understand what she is doing when she sneaks food.....I do think there might be something medical, but the doctor thinks nothing is wrong and la dee da's his way through appointments. I 've tried all kinds of things with her. She started gaining weight when she was 2 and after she got in school she really gained weight fast! I don't want to put a lot of blame on school, but I think there needs to be more PE in her school and I really don't know what to do about it.

I guess it's time for the locks on the cabinets and the fridge. sigh. I do want to be clear, she's not sneaking junk food.....I haven't had chips in the house in a very long time...or cookies. I may have eaten them, but I've had to hide them from her....I have self control over those kinds of foods, she does not have any at all. Like I've said before, I'm at my witts end.

ummm...She doesn't have self control because she's a little kid. ^^;;; If you want to teach her self-control, maybe tell her, "If I find out you snuck pudding then no tv for a week!" or something. And follow through, so she knows you mean it. If she doesn't sneak food for 2 weeks, then buy her a toy or something. ^^ I don't think self-control is innate, but rather taught.
  • amberwaves74
    Options
    Therapist answer: I would want to rule out a medical condition first. Then I would wonder about the family dynamics, as generally eating disorders are a family issue. Finally, I wonder if the little girl has gone through some type of serious trauma that makes her want to hide from the world.
    Personal answer: I feel for her. I bet things are really difficult for her.
  • livnlite
    Options
    Yes, you read that correctly! I just had a co-worker of mine tell me about her friend who's 12 year old daughter is 272 pounds! I could not pick my jaw up from the floor! :noway:

Some are pointing the finger at the mom, some the child. What do you think?

This is a no brainer .. Given that there is no medical conditions that would control the body's ability to burn calories ... A 12 yr old child has no sense or ability to make informed choices. She doesn't do the grocery shopping either .. so if what is provided to her by her parent (s) has created a high carb and fat dependant 'monster' .. It is not the child's fault. She has become an 'addict' and she can't control what she doesn't understand.
  • livnlite
    Options

Seek counselling from a nutritionist. There are foods that you can offer her to help her sustain a little more control over cravings. If she is only 8, you have to understand that she does not have the mature mental capacity to use logic or reasoning to it's full potential quite yet.

You can lecture her all you want .. but you have to remember she is only a CHILD .. She can not quite comprehend the importance of how this affects her health. What does an 8 yr old care about health? She could be caught up in the catch 22 of over eating because she gets teased at school about her weight then looks for refuge in immediate gratification (children do that well) .. like high sugary foods. Thus the cycle of self destruction...and she has no clue as to the damage she is causing.

If you do not have high sugar or high fat type foods in the house .. she will not be able to 'sneak' them. Don't buy pudding cups .. buy yogurt .. don't buy granola bars .... offer her fruit roll ups. Have fresh fruit, melons and veggies around all the time. Provide her with healthy meals and snacks during the day .. these don't only offer her nutrition but they regulate cravings for high sugar/fat foods. She may just very well be an addict and you have to treat an addict like an addict. You can't quit cold turkey .. or you will have the fight of your life on your hands.., You have to slowly reduce that type of intake. Then she won't even realize it's happening. Also be very cautious when offering a child low cal foods that contain artificial sweeteners. THAT opens up a whole different level of damaging effects...especially for children.

You can make exercise fun .. go to the pool or the beach more often so she can romp with kids. She will never know THAT is exercise. Get her involved in some sort of sport activity .. She will never know THAT is exercise. Take her for a walk to keep YOU company .. She will never know THAT is exercise. Kids like doing things that are fun .. Make it fun for her and you will all reap the benefits.
  • gabriellsotero
    gabriellsotero Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Being a obese child myself I just don't agree with most opinions here.

When I was 12 I was not 272 but at least 220. I was in 7th grade.

Everything started when I was around 3... My mother tells me that I used to eat everything, and I do remember some sparse scenes of me eating fruits and veggies. And all of a sudden I started to refuse everything, even though she tried to give me and teach me what was healthy eating. She eats healthly.

So then, she couldn't leave me myself with nothing to eat... The thing is, I just ate like 5 different things. Literally. I could not eat... cake, cheeseburger (which are unhealthy enough), pizza, french fries (these two i don't eat until now).

Everything started to get worse when I started going to 5th grade and walking alone at the streets. I was 10 at the moment. My hours in school increased a bit so she gave me money to drink something during a break. Then, I started eating sweet and soda...

I was 12 in the 7th grade and I was obese. My mom always tried to stop buying the things, giving me less money, but it wasn't a choice. I just don't eat vegetables (until now).

I went to doctors, psychologists and nothing works.

In one sunny day of August, I decided to eat less, eat less candy, replace some food and start exercising (forgot to mention that I just exercised as a children, I swam, played volleyball, basketball, soccer). And this is it. One month, -6kg (-15 pounds). I still don't eat fruit (just drink juice) and vegetables, and I'm not ashamed of that.

Please, don't judge me, my mom, or any other mother. Nobody knows if the kid has a problem or how is their life.

MFP is helping me in many senses!

PS1: At least in Brazil everyone have a pocket money when 12.
    PS2: Sometimes there is something I see in people a little older... We, humans, have short memory. So we don't remember how was our life long time ago. I think that, when I'm 30 I'll have forgotten how as my life when I was 12 aswell.
  • janecl
    janecl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that being overweight all my life didn't make me a good example for my children. One is of normal size and the other overweight. Also, when losing weight, I tried to get the overweight child to work on his at the same time. I do know from my house, they hide the food or bring in food that none of the family needs. Also, I can't control what they eat away from me. I have always tried to help our overweight child so that he wouldn't have to suffer like I did growing up but he doesn't see that he has a problem yet. I am so thankful I am on the right track now and so wish I'd have cared more when I was younger. I can't go back and change things now but can only do the best I can to change it now. Just wanted to give some honest perspective on how this might happen. Of course, it doesn't include whether the 12 year old has some medical problems or is taking medicine that can add to the weight. I just hope that they are trying to do something about it and working with professionals on it.
  • mamax5
    Options

Seek counselling from a nutritionist. There are foods that you can offer her to help her sustain a little more control over cravings. If she is only 8, you have to understand that she does not have the mature mental capacity to use logic or reasoning to it's full potential quite yet.

You can lecture her all you want .. but you have to remember she is only a CHILD .. She can not quite comprehend the importance of how this affects her health. What does an 8 yr old care about health? She could be caught up in the catch 22 of over eating because she gets teased at school about her weight then looks for refuge in immediate gratification (children do that well) .. like high sugary foods. Thus the cycle of self destruction...and she has no clue as to the damage she is causing.

If you do not have high sugar or high fat type foods in the house .. she will not be able to 'sneak' them. Don't buy pudding cups .. buy yogurt .. don't buy granola bars .... offer her fruit roll ups. Have fresh fruit, melons and veggies around all the time. Provide her with healthy meals and snacks during the day .. these don't only offer her nutrition but they regulate cravings for high sugar/fat foods. She may just very well be an addict and you have to treat an addict like an addict. You can't quit cold turkey .. or you will have the fight of your life on your hands.., You have to slowly reduce that type of intake. Then she won't even realize it's happening. Also be very cautious when offering a child low cal foods that contain artificial sweeteners. THAT opens up a whole different level of damaging effects...especially for children.

You can make exercise fun .. go to the pool or the beach more often so she can romp with kids. She will never know THAT is exercise. Get her involved in some sort of sport activity .. She will never know THAT is exercise. Take her for a walk to keep YOU company .. She will never know THAT is exercise. Kids like doing things that are fun .. Make it fun for her and you will all reap the benefits.

I am getting her enrolled in a healthy eating program for kids this week.....I have some issues with the the whole sugar free thing with kids, I go back on forth on it.

As for the exercise, I took her to the park to play with other kids. What does she do? Sits down in the sand box and plays there for 5 minutes. Then she starts complaining and whining to go home. Took her to another park...one we don't get to go to since it's 3 hrs away by her nana and papaw's house and she just sat there...or hid from us and just stood there....I could see her feet. I don't know how to get her playing other than making her ride her bike. It's just agravating. I can play with her to a point, but I can't go down the slides....one reason I want to get my own weight off so I can play with them(I have a 3yr old son as well who is a normal, healthy weight) more.