if you know your going to go over-do you log?

Options

Replies

• Bluestar083
    Options
    I used to only log when I behaved. And then I went on vacation to laughlin for a weekend and I didn't log at all, I came back and had lost 2.5 lbs. So now I log everything that way if you see you have lost you know what you can do the next time to not mess with the scale!

Oh great point! So if I see thats I am 500 over once a fortnight and still losing weight it will be an incentive to keep the diet and allow a treat meal here and there. But if I don't lose weight then I can try not having treat meal and see if that makes a difference?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes, i generally log all the time, except if i am away for a weekend or something, and its not practical! i am off to an all you can eat buffet on saturday, so will be logging that as roughly 1000 cals for my dinner! Maybe 1500, as they have a dessert section.....
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Definitely log. I will usually write in the notes why the overage and then move on. If you end up being over, try to compensate with a little exercise. Head to the gym before your celebrating begins or after a large meal, head outside for a walk.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    The purpose of keeping a food log, is to track what you eat. Even if you are going to go over, it helps you see what you have consumed, and you can use it for reference in the future.

I saw a helpful little hint on someones post " If you BITE it, you WRITE it".

i'm going to have to remember that.

i always log, even if i go over, or if i don't know something exactly i over-guesstimate it. helps you keep track. and going over once in a while, isn't bad. it's when you do it very very often that will affect you.

last week i went over by 1000 calories because i was at a bbq. i didn't really care because it was mostly healthy-ish food and the first time that it happened in three weeks.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a busy day or a vacation day makes it more difficult to log, but If I have time I log no matter how much I consumed. It has helped me to actually see how calories add up and to be accountable for exactly why I did or didn't lose weight that week. Being accountable has encouraged me do an extra work out or eat a little less on the days around the big splurge. If I know I have an event coming up where I want to splurge I go in and log ahead. That way I go in knowing exactly what to expect regarding calories. This has actually helped me stay closer to goal for holidays and parties and enjoy my treats.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    i do log when i go over!! and i feel **** about it!!! but thats what keeps me from eating crap the day after....
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I try to, but I was at 3 parties sun/mon/tues and I KNOW I didn't track all the alcohol

On the upside, I only gained 1.4 lbs and could only work out once briefly.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I like to know what my weekly average is (even if it includes a 4000+ day), then I know exactly why I am NOT losing (and I don't have to ask the board :wink: ).

This ^ for me as well. I can keep an average for the week and can usually tweak with exercise and being slightly under other days then still average out at the end of the week. Lost 80 lbs doing this so if you're diligent it does work :) Enjoy your day!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything. I don't always succeed, but if I want a perfect food journal, then it's up to me to eat that way.

I don't feel guilty about days when I go over, though. Tuesday, for example, I was over by something like 800 calories. The *ONLY* thing that bothers me about being over by that much is the reason that I planned on going over my calories (I was in a really crappy mood all day and completely used food/drink to medicate. Not exactly a healthy frame of mind, that.)
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Always! I log everything. It's expected to have bad days, so don't beat yourself up about it, but be honest.
  • morriusmfp
    morriusmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Log everything. You'll be shocked at how much you eat when you let yourself go crazy. I was at a party recently at my Grandparents and managed to eat over 1100 calories in a single buffet meal. And I was holding back!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I log everything! =)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me it depends. If I know what I ate then I usually log it. But if someone else prepared the food and I really have no idea of the exact ingredients or calories I don't see the point in guessing.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    For me it depends. If I know what I ate then I usually log it. But if someone else prepared the food and I really have no idea of the exact ingredients or calories I don't see the point in guessing.

Yes this was a concern too. I will be eating a variety of finger foods, prepared by lots of guests. So while I know roughly how many calories a scone with jam and cream is, a lot of the things I will have no idea.
  • NicolaJane1313
    Options
    Log it!! You never know, you may still be within your calorie intake for the day! Knowledge is Power!
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I have to stay accountable. As someone on my MFP friends list pointed out the other day, your body is going to keep an accurate log whether or not you do!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I log everything. My motto is, "you bite it, you write it!" Keeps me honest and sometimes it helps me make better choices.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I log everything - one of your friends might be in the same circumstances as you and using your diary as a rough guide.
  • lp0007
    lp0007 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Sometimes I am under my daily goal so I eat more on the weekends lol! I always try to get to my weekly goal and don't worry about going over. My body needs it's calories!:happy:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Of course.