Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The weather is conspiring against me this morning. Was up, dressed, and ready to run, and it starts to downpour. It's way too cold for a rain run today. Fortunately, my job allows me to take off any time, and exercise (or whatever) so if it looks like there's going to be a break, I'll run. Training plan calls for 3.5 miles today.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hay all, I just found this group, I am running my first half October 2nd. I'm super pumped and ready to rock it!! When I get time to sit for a while Im excited to read thru all your success stories :) good luck all!

Hi!
    I will run the half-marathon Rock'n'Roll on Oct 2nd. Are you too? You said that you are gonna rock it, so I assumed that yes. If not, good luck anyway!

Actually I am running the Wineglass half in Corning NY. It's supposed to be a beautiful course and relatively flat (which is good). Some of my runner friends have run it in the past and said its a great race for a marathon newbie like myself. :)
  • slb106
    Options
    Hay all, I just found this group, I am running my first half October 2nd. I'm super pumped and ready to rock it!! When I get time to sit for a while Im excited to read thru all your success stories :) good luck all!

Hi!
    I will run the half-marathon Rock'n'Roll on Oct 2nd. Are you too? You said that you are gonna rock it, so I assumed that yes. If not, good luck anyway!

Actually I am running the Wineglass half in Corning NY. It's supposed to be a beautiful course and relatively flat (which is good). Some of my runner friends have run it in the past and said its a great race for a marathon newbie like myself. :)

My first half is also on Oct. 2nd, but in Maryland. It's the first annual race for the organization, so I have no idea how the course will be. Hopefully it's flat! Good luck to the both of you!
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The weather is conspiring against me this morning. Was up, dressed, and ready to run, and it starts to downpour. It's way too cold for a rain run today. Fortunately, my job allows me to take off any time, and exercise (or whatever) so if it looks like there's going to be a break, I'll run. Training plan calls for 3.5 miles today.

Cold rain is my least favorite...

I would encourage you to give it a try once in a while. If nothing else, you really get a sense of what you need to wear in case the weather's nasty on race day.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Cold rain is my least favorite...

I would encourage you to give it a try once in a while. If nothing else, you really get a sense of what you need to wear in case the weather's nasty on race day.

I'll add, no matter how prepared you may think you are, you can't prepare enough. My first marathon, was horrible, downpour, cold, windy, and huge puddles. I ended up with blisters on my arches of my feet and felt like hypothermia, it took days to feel warm again. I used to not mind the rain, but 26.2 miles of it was horrible.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I think I'd need to buy some rain gear to go when it's cold out. I have run in the rain in the past, but only in warm temperatures. I don't have a suitable rain coat, and I'd have been freezing today. I gave some consideration to dragging out my Disney World Mickey Mouse poncho, but decided I'd look too ridiculous :)

I did an hour on the elliptical, and will try to run this evening if I can. I'd hate to miss a training day.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Ran 4 miles today. Also some weight lifting.

I am thinking I will run another 4 Thursday and then I have my 10k Sunday!
  • shellybarbal
    Options
    I am definitely interested. Right now I am running 4-5 miles at a time. I would love to be part of a group and follow a formal training program.

9984819.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Linnea ~ I also like Hal Higdon's training program, I'm loosely following it for my full :) Keep up your mileage over the winter, you can repeat a long run each week if you wish...we did for this half that I just completed, and I never felt better!

FunRun~ Good luck on your upcoming half!! Do you get wine and a glass after?? That would be awesome!

Bprague ~ I hope your ankles start feeling better, I would def see the doctor about it!

Paladeac ~ So sorry about your injury!

27strange ~ Sorry abotu your knee acting up, I hardly ever run two days in a row...but probably because I'm so busy getting other forms of exercise in, I just don't have time for it LOL

Urbanhippie ~ Good luck on your 10k!

Shelly ~ Have you signed up for anything yet?

Ran 8 miles yesterday, but let my husband use the garmin so I couldn't keep track of pace. (it was supposed to be a race pace run) Instead I based it off of my HR and what I think I could sustain for 4.5 hours, and I actually managed 9:50/mile, which is better than what I want my race pace to be :) Physically this run wasn't hard, mentally though it was. It was my first solo run in weeks! I have really come to depend on my band of girls from half marathon training, makes me worry about my long lonely full LOL
  • katapple
    Options
    PS: Half Marathon Pictures!

79033-1965-003f.jpg
    79033-050-021f.jpg

this is my friend Megan, who I was helping push to the end, we did all of our training runs together as well is this half!
    79033-050-020f.jpg

right at the finish:
    79033-1965-005f.jpg
  • lp0007
    lp0007 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    Was wondering if I could drop into this thread. I have run half marathons since I was 18 (am 28 now) so have had 10yrs of running fun :happy: I have always used Hal higdon's plans and did so when I was running marathons too. Sadly I got injured a couple of years ago and that scared me so much that I stopped running completely. But luckily I have just got a really cool new doctor who has given me the confidence to start running again, yay! So far I have been running 3 x a week and am slowly building up to run the Brighton half marathon in feb 2012. Fingers crossed I don't get injured..... Nice to meet you all in this thread :smile:
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Ran 4 miles today. Also some weight lifting.

I am thinking I will run another 4 Thursday and then I have my 10k Sunday!

Good deal! Foot's doing well then? Best of luck with the 10k Sunday!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Ran 8 miles yesterday, but let my husband use the garmin so I couldn't keep track of pace. (it was supposed to be a race pace run) Instead I based it off of my HR and what I think I could sustain for 4.5 hours, and I actually managed 9:50/mile, which is better than what I want my race pace to be :) Physically this run wasn't hard, mentally though it was. It was my first solo run in weeks! I have really come to depend on my band of girls from half marathon training, makes me worry about my long lonely full LOL

That's a great training pace! Best of luck with the mental game, its tough to run solo long distances if you aren't accustomed to it. Good luck with the continued training :-)
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Although I am a big proponent of having a running group for training (helps keep you motivated and commited), you do need to throw in some solo long runs in your marathon training (and probably 1/2 training too) to work on the mental toughness. You have to know that you can dig deep and pull through it on your own when the going gets tough.
  • rcvinluan
    Options
    im interested to join the group... im planning to run a full marathon next year...
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I have been bad at posting here. Ooops.

I was suppose to run my last real long(ish) run before my half this past Saturday.
    After an evening of margaritas and fried appetizers running is tough! What was suppose to be 8 miles turned into only 5. But oh well.
    This week I have:
    Mon - 4 miles
    Tues - rest, moving new furniture!ha
    Weds - 5 miles w/2 mile tempo
    Thurs - not sure yet!
    Fri - usually a rest day, but considering a speed workout
    Sat - 6 miles
    Sun - 3 miles

next week is my week before my half marathon. I have not decided exactly my plan. I want my legs as fresh as I can have them for my race. Suprisingly I am not nervous yet. I was a bundle of nerves before my first half. I hope i can keep the nerves at bay before this next one.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    PS: Half Marathon Pictures!

Awesome pics! Cant wait for my first half!! Congrats!!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Today is rest day on running, Gonna get some strength on for my upper body tho!!

Happy Hump day everyone!! :drinker:
  • katapple
    Options

Although I am a big proponent of having a running group for training (helps keep you motivated and commited), you do need to throw in some solo long runs in your marathon training (and probably 1/2 training too) to work on the mental toughness. You have to know that you can dig deep and pull through it on your own when the going gets tough.

Thanks for that! I know I should probably do some of my runs alone....doesn't make me happy, but I know it needs to be done ;-P A lot of the girls are joining me halfway through my long runs, so I will be running the first part alone, and the last part alone...hopefully that will be enough to toughen my mind :)
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Today is supposed to be a cross-training day, but I need to double up since I didn't get to run yesterday. Did an hour speed walk with a friend this morning, but still need to get in a 3.5 mile run to stay on track with my plan.