September Cycling Challenge - 150 + Miles, 1 month

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    In my group ride tonight I pulled a paceline for .5 miles at 23 mph. And then of course got dropped off the back of the line! But hey, I felt pretty hardcore for about 2 minutes there.

I'm with carbonboy on this one, unless your real name is Fabian Cancellara or Tony Martin, dragging the bunch along for half a mile at a time is always going to be a killer. I do agree, it's great fun to hear all the wheels rumbling along behind you, but in a chain-gang, it's all about through-and-off, not through and off-the-back :laugh:
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    In my group ride tonight I pulled a paceline for .5 miles at 23 mph. And then of course got dropped off the back of the line! But hey, I felt pretty hardcore for about 2 minutes there.

Half mile is a long pull. Pull off sooner and you'll have enough left to tuck back in at the back of the pack. But I know it can be fun to sit at the front for a while.

Those were actually short pulls! Earlier in the ride people were pulling for miles at a time. I think I even pulled for about 3 miles on a particularly busy stretch of road, but I was only going 19-20 mph and we were only about 10 miles into the whole ride so I still had the energy. 23 mph is just really out of my pace range, particularly if I'm not drafting. But it's nice to know I can do it at least for a decent length interval. As they say: the only way to get faster is to go faster.
  • mattellis2
    Options
    you guys and gals blow me away. i ride alone, and have never been with a group. i thought i was doing ok, running about 17.5 mph or so. >20 mph for a sustained amount of time would kill me!
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    09/10 - Participated in Day 1 - Missouri MS150, Century Bike Ride 102 mi. in 5 hours, averaged 19.8 mph
    09/11 - Participated in Day 2 - Missouri MS150 Bike Ride, 75 mile route (actual mileage was 83), avg pace was 18.6 -- the day had a lot more hills to climb

If I can lose another 10 pounds maybe I'll treat myself to a sweet new light-weight bike. I want to eventually average > 20 mph for a century ride.

exercise.png
  • zornig
    Options
    09/10 - Participated in Day 1 - Missouri MS150, Century Bike Ride 102 mi. in 5 hours, averaged 19.8 mph
    09/11 - Participated in Day 2 - Missouri MS150 Bike Ride, 75 mile route (actual mileage was 83), avg pace was 18.6 -- the day had a lot more hills to climb

If I can lose another 10 pounds maybe I'll treat myself to a sweet new light-weight bike. I want to eventually average > 20 mph for a century ride.

That's great! Although I hate to be the one to tell you that if you rode 102 mile in 5 hours then you already beat a 20 mph pace!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It rained in the afternoon so I was not sure I get out but did 7 miles after dinner bringing my total to 114 :)
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    week 1 42.2

week 2:143.4
    september:185.6

week 3: 25.8// 15.2//
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Should get my goal tomorrow. And a good thing. I have been craving rest and tater tot casserole!

Kidding of course. Except the tater tot casserole part.
  • DurdenCycles
    DurdenCycles Posts: 27 Member
    Options

LOL !! I know that feeling oh too well. Keep trying. The more you chase the less you'll get dropped.
  • DurdenCycles
    Options
    I GOT A BIKE!!!! IM STARTING TOMORROW!!!! YIPPEEE!!:tongue:

Yeah!! You will love it!
  • DurdenCycles
    Options

Half mile is a long pull. Pull off sooner and you'll have enough left to tuck back in at the back of the pack. But I know it can be fun to sit at the front for a while.

Those were actually short pulls! Earlier in the ride people were pulling for miles at a time. I think I even pulled for about 3 miles on a particularly busy stretch of road, but I was only going 19-20 mph and we were only about 10 miles into the whole ride so I still had the energy. 23 mph is just really out of my pace range, particularly if I'm not drafting. But it's nice to know I can do it at least for a decent length interval. As they say: the only way to get faster is to go faster.

I'm definitely with the others that shorter pulls are ideal. However, I am also of the opinion that taking the front at your pace is acceptable as long as the others understand their responsibility to pull through if you begin to slow or their momentum outpaces you. But keep in mind that anybody who pulls for miles is being inconsiderate of the other riders. I would definitely holler our “Rotate!” or even push through and sweep them off the front. It is great to hear your stories. Go get me some more!
  • DurdenCycles
    Options
    After 38 today I'm at 396 for the month. See yall soon I hope.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I GOT A BIKE!!!! IM STARTING TOMORROW!!!! YIPPEEE!!:tongue:

Yeah!! You will love it!

That's really GREAT!!
    I got my bike about 2 months ago and it was one of the best things I ever ever did
    I lurrrrrrrrve it!
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    And in other news it was another 12km of commuting for me today. Sailing past cars is really just the best
  • colnagoman
    colnagoman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will join this and aim for 200.:smile:
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    [1st] = 6miles - work commute
    [2nd] = 9miles - work commute plus cycle around town at lunchtime
    [3rd] = 0 - ill
    [4th] = 0 - ill
    [5th] = 0 - ill
    [6th] = 0 - ill
    [7th] = 6miles - work commute
    [8th] = 6miles - work commute
    [9th] = 9miles - work commute plus cycle around town at lunchtime
    [10th] = 22miles - cycle to nearby Abingdon for a baby shower/picnic. Cycle to pub in evening
    [11th] = 25miles - Cycletta South race
    [12th] = 0 - rest day
    [13th] = 6miles - work commute
    [14th] = 6miles - work commute
    [15th] = 6miles - work commute

=Total so far = 101miles
  • zornig
    Options
    After 38 today I'm at 396 for the month. See yall soon I hope.

Awesome! I aspire to the kind of mileage you and Carbonboy do.
  • carbonboy
    Options
    I had to take a day off the bike yesterday. My body can always tell when it's had enough and I'm overtraining. So this morning I felt spry again and made one of my fastest commutes to work. It pays to rest every now and then.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    week 1 42.2

week 2:143.4
    september:185.6

week 3: 25.8// 15.2// 16.3//
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options

That's great! Although I hate to be the one to tell you that if you rode 102 mile in 5 hours then you already beat a 20 mph pace!

LOL, I know, I just want an excuse to get a new bike...I caught a bad case of bike envy that weekend. ;-) I rounded down to 5 hours, I actually crossed the finish at 5:12