Fit For Future Families - September 2011

Options

Replies

• VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I have a question about prenatals...

My doctor prescribed prenatals because I told her we were thinking about TTC soon. I was looking at the directions and it says to take an hour before a meal or 2-3 hours after...is there a reason for this? I haven't looked at the iron content, but that is usually why I cannot take vitamins on an empty stomach so I am leery about taking these on an empty stomach as well.

Mine say the same thing, but is says that if your stomach can take it then you can take it with food. Mine specifically say not to take it with milk to dairy because it could make it less beneficial. it didn't give a "reason" for the timing as far as food goes though
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Mine says the same about dairy...which stinks because I always take my vitamins with milk. Keeps me from having an upset stomach...oh well. If it's best for a future baby I suppose I should deal :tongue:
  • meggamix
    meggamix Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    It's weird that there are so many different directions for prenatals. Obviously there are going to be some difference from brand to brand, but I would assume they're all pretty similar. Wonder what the difference really is? Mine just say take with food. So I keep them in my purse so I know I'll always have them with me and then take when whenever I think about it. :)
  • newleafbeth11
    Options
    My prenatals definitely say to take with food and nothing specific about dairy. I haven't ever taken them with food though, because they are gummies and I think that would taste weird. (I suck at swallowing big pills and every pill vitamin I've ever tried to take is HUGE). They've never given me any problems with nausea though, and that's usually why medications are supposed to be taken with food, according to my doc. It's strange that they all have such different directions though.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My prenatals definitely say to take with food and nothing specific about dairy. I haven't ever taken them with food though, because they are gummies and I think that would taste weird. (I suck at swallowing big pills and every pill vitamin I've ever tried to take is HUGE). They've never given me any problems with nausea though, and that's usually why medications are supposed to be taken with food, according to my doc. It's strange that they all have such different directions though.

Gummies??? I wish I knew about gummies.....my Materna pre-natal pills are friggin horse pills! LOL
  • MandaLee8908
    Options
    I'm with Pantera...what brand are these gummy vitamins?! Help a couple sisters out! LOL :laugh:
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Eeek I'm losing track of you ladies! LO is down for a nap and I have tons to do!

Emily- Thanks so much for the offer, but I think I'm just going to do things on my own. I appreciate it though!

Hope everyone is having a great day! Xoxo
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I've heard you all are a wonderful bunch of ladies and I was wondering if you could make room in your ranks for this chickie :) My story is that we've been TTC for 10 years and are going through IVF. We were told this week that we might have to postpone for at least another cycle and a half because my body decided to have an irregular cycle (the first in almost a year!!!). If tomorrow doesn't show ovulation in the bloodwork, she's putting me on the pill for a cycle and then we'll try again starting in November (it's 6 week process). I've been avoiding the whole healthy eating thing for about a month now and I think this is what has happened :( I'm back to it today and crossing my fingers that silly little egg decides to pop before blood work in the morning!!!!

I look forward to meeting most of you :)
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Pam- The stubborn egg needs to do it job! :grumble: Man, I'm feeling for you, but crossing all my fingers and toes for you.

As for the prenantal I used to take them right before I went to bed. I liked it because I avoid any nausea. Switching to the morning has thrown me off and I need to eat in order to take them. I will say for me consistency is the best way to avoid feeling sick. I have found the losts of meds say not to take them with dairy- nurses and dr. why is that? anything to do with the kidneys and processing the meds?

AFM- thanks for all the good wishes! I'm still hoping, but I had kinda major spotting today (still spotting, but more than just a spot) which shook my confidence that this could be the month. The school year is going well. I have a very hard second period class, but so far they are being surprisingly well behaved- I;m just waiting for the honeymoon period to end and for them to act like themselves. I'm hoping the honeymoon period lasts all year :wink:
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    totally side note- I wish pregnancy and maternity ads would stop coming up on myfitnesspal ad pannels- it is driving me nuts!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I've heard you all are a wonderful bunch of ladies and I was wondering if you could make room in your ranks for this chickie :) My story is that we've been TTC for 10 years and are going through IVF. We were told this week that we might have to postpone for at least another cycle and a half because my body decided to have an irregular cycle (the first in almost a year!!!). If tomorrow doesn't show ovulation in the bloodwork, she's putting me on the pill for a cycle and then we'll try again starting in November (it's 6 week process). I've been avoiding the whole healthy eating thing for about a month now and I think this is what has happened :( I'm back to it today and crossing my fingers that silly little egg decides to pop before blood work in the morning!!!!

Hmmm... Gee, I don't know....you seem a little sktchy...:noway:
  • 9Honey16
    9Honey16 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Promised I would at least check in on here Mondays to keep up with goals and what not, but had a bit of a rough weekend. Reading up on all your posts though it seems I'm in the same boat as a few of you-- unfortunately doc just confirmed chemical pregnancy aka early miscarriage :( Basically AF was 7 days late, temps had all stayed elevated, got BFP on Saturday morning- got excited--then late afternoon same day was driving and got such severe cramps I had to pull over. When I got home I was spotting and my head started swirling- google went into overdrive, implantation? Spotting? Miscarriage? That night woke up at 2am to the worst cramps I've felt in my life, and the bleeding was crazy heavy and abnormal and I knew it was game over. Last few days have been painful...I know this is very common, and it's weird because my emotion is more frustrated, angry and a sort of gnawing fear. I had one miscarriage over 5 years ago but we were almost 12 weeks along then and that was pure sadness that took a long time to get over. But today I've accepted it and ready for this next cycle--it's only month 3, but I do fear that my luteal phase is too short.
    So question---I know a lot of you are on fertility meds, but has anyone ventured down the natural remedy path? Accupunture? Have you read Making Babies or The Infertility Cure? Just curious about anyone's experiences...I just know that we could never afford fertility treatment, so I'm just seeking out other possibilities (if it comes to that). I appreciate any input you may have, thanks guys! :)
  • Smores18
    Smores18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, it's been a busy week, I know I just joined then disappeared. Sorry. I will try to answer some of the questions on here though, sorry if I don't remember who posted them.

Cupcake- Check out the opk's on amazon.com, they are cheap and effective. As for having PCOS, I think you should still use opk's but also temp. The opk will tell you when your LH is surging and the temps will confirm whether or not you are actually O'ing.

As for the pregnancy tests, also check out the ones on amazon.com (Internet Cheapies, or IC's), they are cheap and very surprisingly sensitive! If you don't get those then get the ones from Family Dollar, those are the only regular ones worth the money. If you are looking for an extra sensitive test then buy First Response Early Result (FRER's). They are very good tests, most hpt's pick up 25miu of hcg, including amazon tests and $ store tests, FRER's pick up 6.5 miu of hcg. Considering that anything under 5 miu is considered not pregnant that's pretty sensitive! Pretty much every other test is either just as accurate as the IC's or $ stores or they are blue dye, and the rule is NEVER BUY BLUE DYE PREGNANCY TESTS! They give out a TON of false positives, not worth it, ever. Always buy the ones with pink lines. With my last miscarriage I had a faint line on a FRER, a faint line on an IC and a negative on a $store test, just to give you an example, I was on 11dpo, I had tested in the AM with a negative, the BFP was in the evening.

For the topic of prenatals. If any of you have been pregnant before you know that often prenatals can make you sick, that's why they say to take with food. If they make you sick you can just take them with 2 children's chewable/gummy vitamins, it works great! Also you can buy the gummy prenatals at walmart, I don't recommend them just cause they are a bit expensive and buying children's vitamins with your prenatals works great and is much cheaper.

AFM- After my second m/c on Aug 28 DH and I were planning on taking a cycle off so we could talk to my doctor about the reason for my miscarriages. But I O'd only 12 days after I started bleeding from the m/c (!) and DH and I weren't preventing yet. So here I am in my 2WW, currently at 6dpo. Since I have a good chance of being pregnant right now I decided that trying to lose weight or changing my diet is a bad idea at the moment until I know if I'm pregnant or not. I plan on testing this Friday (8dpo) then again on Monday (11dpo) cause I doubt I will get a + on Friday. I need to know ASAP so I can let my doctor know in case he wants me to start progesterone so I'm testing early. I'm not planning on testing over the weekend cause the doctor office isn't open anyway.
    So on Tues I have my doctor appt to discuss my miscarriages, I'm hoping to get a progesterone and hcg blood draw that day, then right after the doctor visit we are leaving to go on vacation to visit DH's family. 10 days of fun and relaxation!!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    totally side note- I wish pregnancy and maternity ads would stop coming up on myfitnesspal ad pannels- it is driving me nuts!

TOTALLY AGREE! I couldn't agree more!
  • MandaLee8908
    Options

Me too. Even though hubby and I aren't TTC just yet, it drives me nuts!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Me too. Even though hubby and I aren't TTC just yet, it drives me nuts!

Agreed.....I m super sensitive to seeing pregnancy all around me too...it seems like every time I turn the TV on....there is a preggo commercial... or something....the ads on MFP don't help cuz I spend alot of time here!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    It makes me want to start buying maternity clothes lol
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I have been so BUSY this week at work. But I did get a random reprieve today so that's good.
    Today is day 14 of my cycle and I still have not gotten a positive on my OPK's. I'm starting to wonder if I have and the test isn't working. I keep thinking it will happen but nothing yet. It's funny, I feel every little twinge and I think, ooh was that implantation, ooh ooh was that me ovulating? I feel a little crazy but the hubs and I are having a good time together none the less. ;)
    Hope everyone is having a good week. It's Wednesday, HUMP day. lol
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options

Hmmm... Gee, I don't know....you seem a little sktchy...:noway:

Oh I am..... LOL

Thanks Karen for the fingers crossed, but I didn't have high hopes for it and I was right not to........Went in, did my bloodwork this morning. Hubs and I went for breakfast then back to the clinic for counselling session and then results. I'm going in on Saturday for a pregnancy test (how is that likely when we were told to protect for any BDing) and then on to Provera, so in 2 weeks I'll be starting Day 1 and a cycle with BC. Theoretically, that means we could be starting again with these tests in November, right before my vow reaffirmation and potentially looking at the retrieval, etc early Dec....

As for the counselling session, we spent a lot of time discussing the donor sperm piece. We've decided that we won't be able to do it as a secret (just not good for anyone if it's found out), but won't be telling our families, etc. We've each chosen one person to act as our support and will be telling our child so that they don't feel lied to at any point - plus obviously you guys. It's a little like the psychology of adoption, which we were completely fine with. As the counsellor put it, it's not a secret, but it's private.

Since we have another 3 months of waiting for the retrieval, etc., we're planning on going away for our 10th, spending a little bit of money on anniversary photos of us plus finishing up some renovations instead. All of these were so we didn't feel like we're losing out, but that we've gained in other ways......
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Sorry it wasn't the best news Pam but it sounds like you've made some excellent plans for the next few months and that's such a great attitude to it all. Glad to have you back:flowerforyou: