Fit For Future Families - September 2011

Options
Welcome everyone!

This group is being started to lend support and motivation to those who are TTC, or plan to TTC.

Fit For Families is NOT for pregnant women, I would ask that you join one of our sister groups, (they're really great there!!). For people looking for general pregnancy support and not wanting to gain too much: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332516-pregnancy-september-2011. For people who are VERY active and want to maintain that level while pregnant: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332498-fit-fabulous-and-pregnant-september-2011

This group is very goal-oriented (no matter what your goals are) and I hope will be a place for you to come share your story and track your progress.
Check in is each Monday to keep us accountable over the weekend. Each week we set our own fitness or health goals, and the more suggestions the better!

Link to our last thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305495-fit-for-future-families-august-2011

If you are new and want to join us, please give us some background on yourself. You can find all of ours on the August 2011 thread.

Job:
Length of time on the board:
Marital Status:
Length of time you've been with SO:
Do you have kids:
Length of time TTC:
Diagnosis:
Do you chart your BBT:
Do you use OPKs:
Are you on any meds for TTC:
Height:
Weight:
Goal Weight:
Strange fact about yourself:

Look forward to getting to know you!

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    And here are the basics!

:flowerforyou: First of all, Google is your friend! But be sure you take it with a grain of salt. We'll happily help you sort through it all!
    :flowerforyou: Best way to know your cycle is to track your Basal Body Temperature (BBT). Best website for this is www.fertilityfriends.com.
    :flowerforyou: Best place to get OPKs and HPTs (in bulk) and for cheap: www.early-pregnancy-tests.com or Amazon - buying in the store is too expensive! :grumble:
    :flowerforyou: And finally, because TTC has a secret language (okay, not really, but we're too lazy to write everything out), here's the basic abbreviations for you!

2WW - Two-week wait until time to take pregnancy test (approximately 14 days after ovulation)
    AF - Aunt Flo (menstruation)
    ART - Assisted Reproductive Technology
    AW- Attention *kitten*
    BCP - Birth Control Pills
    BBT - Basal Body Temperature
    BD - Big Deed (baby making sex)
    BFN - Big Fat Negative (home pregnancy test result)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (home pregnancy test result)
    BIL - Brother-in-Law
    BRU - Babies R Us Store
    BW or B/W - Blood Work
    CD - Cycle day
    CM - Cervical Mucus
    D&C - Dilation & Curettage
    DD - Dear/Darling Daughter or Designated Driver
    DC - Dear/Darling Child
    DH - Dear/Darling Husband
    DPO - Days past ovulation
    DS - Dear/Darling Son
    EDD - Estimated Due Date
    ENDO - Endometriosis
    ER - Emergency Room
    ET - Embryo Transfer
    ETA- Edited to add
    EWCM - Egg White Cervical Mucus
    FET - Frozen Embryo Transfer
    FMU - First morning urine
    FRER - First Response Early Response
    FSH - Follicle Stimulating Hormone
    F/U - Follow-up
    FWIW- For What It’s Worth
    HCG - Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    ICSI - Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection
    IF - Infertility
    IMO- In My Opinion
    IMHO- In My Humble Opinion
    IRL- In Real Life
    IUI - Intra-uterine Insemination
    IVF - In Vitro Fertilization
    KU- Knocked Up
    LAP - Laparoscopy
    LH - Luteinizing Hormone
    LMP - Last Menstrual Period
    LO - Little one
    LP - Luteal phase
    LPD - Luteal Phase Defect
    M/C - Miscarriage
    MFI - Male Factor Infertility
    MS - Morning Sickness
    O - Ovulation
    OB - Obstetrician
    OB/GYN - Obstetrician/Gynecologist
    OHSS - Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome
    OP - Original Poster
    OPK - Ovulation Predictor Kit
    OTC - Over-the-counter
    PCOS (POS) - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
    PID - Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
    PMS - Premenstrual Syndrome
    PNV - Prenatal vitamin
    POAS - Pee On A Stick
    PP- PostPartum or Previous Poster
    RE - Reproductive Endocrinologist
    S/A - Sperm/semen analysis
    SAHM - Stay At Home Mom
    SO- Significant Other
    TCOYF - Taking Charge of Your Fertility (book)
    TIA - Thanks in Advance
    TMI - Too Much Information
    TSH - Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
    TTA - Trying to Avoid
    TTC - Trying To Conceive
    US or u/s - Ultrasound
    UTI - Urinary Tract Infection
    VBAC - Vaginal birth after caesarian
    WBC - White Blood Cells
    WWYD- What Would You Do
    YI - Yeast infection
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    love the definitions
  • beckyobsm
    beckyobsm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I saw this group and just had to say hello and stick with this!

I had a difficult time getting pregnant and staying pregnant. I was diagnosed with PCOS and was prescribed metformin. Instead of taking the medication, I chose to take control of my life, follow a diet designed for diabetics and start to exercise. The result
    the best mental, physical, and emotional shape of my life.

Long story short
    IT WORKS! I am now on this site to try to lose the baby weight from TWO consecutive pregnancies.

Stay with it! The rewards are immeasurable!

Best of luck!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    bumping to my topics.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jalara for re-posting the definitions. I could never remember them all!!

Hey Ladies!!! I'm on Day 38 of my cycle, still no AF. I usually have an average of 36 day cycle give or take a couple days. So I'm not worried I took a test this morning and it was negative so I guess I will just have to wait and see. Its probably cuz of all the stress from removing my stupid wisdom teeth and not eating for over a week.

Thats my quick update! Hope everyone is well~
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jalara!!!

Just a quick check-in.... Doing good on my goals so far and interesting enough I have lost about 1 lb in the last few days... I think it has a lot to do with being super bloated and it is finally starting to go down.
    TTFN!
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Bump! So i can stalk your progress! Baby dust to all!
  • jalara
    Options
    Hey ladies,

So I apologize for not keeping up with everyone's posts. I've been a little self-involved lately, and I hope you can all understand and forgive me.

So at my last update we had just found out we were going to be moving directly to in vitro. Well, that was Monday. From Monday night until last night I have been completely numb. And then last night all heck broke out - like seriously - we have to shell out $10,000.00 EACH time and it may very well not work the first one or two times. AND I'm finishing my last year of school, AND I won't have mat leave benefits. We can live on DH's salary easily, and afford things fine but at this time our savings went to our wedding (we had to pay for it 100%) and our vacation and we have no savings at the moment so the first attempt has to go on our line of credit. But it's tax deductible in Canada (you get 25% returned) plus I have more coming back because I'm a student, plus DH is teaching a class at the university the first semester so that's extra money. But when do we start, before the end of the tax year? And then how long do we have to wait to try again? 6 months? Do we try once a year for the next few years? Are we sure we don't want to push to try IUI first despite what the doc recommends? Why do we have to pay for what most people get for free? This isn't fair! DH deserves a better wife. What if it works and I have another miscarriage? What if it works and it's stillborn? What if it's twins? The doc doesn't think I should do twins because of my uterus but they run naturally in the family. They said the max the transfer is 3 but would prefer only 1 for me, but what if 1 doesn't take? Is 2 a better chance? How do we know the actual risks? How can I pay $10,000.00 for only 1 embryo? This is too much for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there you have it, my head space. Help wanted.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Jalara- Sorry to hear all of what is happening.....but I'm about to give you ****.....please don't you ever think that DH deserves a better wife!!!! You are a great wife and if you weren't he wouldn't still be here!!!!! You are not only a great wife, you are a great friend...you are one of the most supportive people I have met here and for you I am thankful as your DH is as well! XOXOXO I'm glad that you could vent to us!!! You are faced with a lot of questions now.....how does DH feel about all of this....is he opening up about it?

And don't apologize for not keeping up with posts...you've got a lot on your plate!! And this is what we are all here for!!! xo
  • e_amanda
    Options
    Jalara - First of all,

(((HUGS))

Take a deep breath! It is so much to process and it sounds like it's just hit you like a mack truck!

I think a lot of the questions/issues you mentioned will happen one a time, like you won't have to decide how many embies to transfer until after you've decided exactly when you're going to cycle, right?

I can tell you that with the medical tax deductions, you can choose the 12 months you want covered, even if they don't fall into the actual tax year. For example, we started treatment in November 2010 so in 2012 when we file our 2011 taxes we will file for medical expenses from Nov 2010 to Nov 2011. You don't have to wait until January to start just so your medical expenses all fall into 2012. Now there may be other reasons for you to wait, to save money or until you're finished school. That's something you and DH will have to work out together. Some clinics also have wait lists of 3-6 months for IVF. If you do wait either by choice or on a waiting list I know a few people who chose to do IUI in the meantime, just to feel like they're doing something. Sometimes it's successful and IVF is cancelled, sometimes it's not. Hindsight is a b*tch when TTC! You're looking at about $1000 per monitored IUI cycle.

As for having to pay for what others get for free, I am so with you there. I know so many people who have had "accidents" since we've been TTC #2, not that they don't love their children regardless but when I hear them complain about their kids being too close together because their second was an oops I just want to smack them!

AFM, at first I was enjoying our little TTC holiday. Now I just want to get the laparoscopy over with and get back to it!!! What I don't know is how soon after we can try. Lap will be on CD4, and I've read online anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months before TTC again! WTF!?!? I do have an online buddy who was told 3 months before TTC after lap to remove endo and misunderstood, thought it was 3 weeks. Sure enough that resulted in a BFP, LOL!

I have been feeling like I'm actually accomplishing something with my workouts lately. Mostly on the Wii Fit as the only time I have to work out is when DS is sleeping and I can't leave the house. About once a week I get out jogging which I love, wish I could do more but the Wii Fit is lots of fun and once I'm in a bit better shape I want to get the Wii Zumba, too.

Hi to EOE!
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    GBOH- Great goal this week! I'll have to google the bikram yoga but it sounds intense!

Meggamix- Good luck at your doctor appointment! Hopefully you'll get some answers!

Mrssavvy- Welcome!!

Luki- Good luck with the progesterone (and the gym ;))

Pixie- **hugs** feel better~!

Jalara- First of all, I completely agree about those facebook games. I never do them. Thanks for the new thread and the definitions. You're awesome! Okay, I wish that I could give you some really good advice or boatloads of money. But all I can give you is a great big virtual ***HUG**** Don't sell yourself short though. You're an awesome person and your hubby is lucky to have you!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I'm not ttc yet. I won't until I lose at least 30-40 pounds, Do you know of any threads that are like this? Or is this thread the one?? Thanks
  • jalara
    Options
    I'm not ttc yet. I won't until I lose at least 30-40 pounds, Do you know of any threads that are like this? Or is this thread the one?? Thanks
    You found it! Not everyone here is TTC - for some it's still the waiting game!
  • jalara
    Options
    Thank you for the support ladies, I appreciate it. I'm a mess right now and suddenly find myself reaching out to every IVF forum I can find. Thankfully there is a Canadian one that has some people who have used my clinic, and even my doctor (yay!) so that helps.

You ladies are amazing. We are going to maul over things for the next couple of weeks and then make a couple of solid decisions for the immediate time. I'm still waiting on AF since my m/c so, as frustrating as it is, it is giving us some time to work through some things, and I really want my body to take whatever time it needs.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Mandy :-)

Where you live: Indiana
    Job: Medical laboratory scientist, volunteer firefighter/EMT
    Length of time on the board: Just found it!
    Marital Status: Married
    Length of time you've been with SO: together 9.5 years, married for 3 years
    Do you have kids: No
    Length of time TTC: Not trying yet
    Diagnosis: Don't have one yet...
    Do you chart your BBT: Not yet
    Do you use OPKs: Not yet
    Are you on any meds for TTC: No
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 177
    Goal Weight: 135
    Strange fact about yourself: I'm a female firefighter on a department with all males. I think that makes me crazy :-P
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Howdy!!!! Checking in for Sept!!!! Hopefully this is my second to last month on the forum :) Not that I don't love you guys but enough is enough :)
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

So I apologize for not keeping up with everyone's posts. I've been a little self-involved lately, and I hope you can all understand and forgive me.

So at my last update we had just found out we were going to be moving directly to in vitro. Well, that was Monday. From Monday night until last night I have been completely numb. And then last night all heck broke out - like seriously - we have to shell out $10,000.00 EACH time and it may very well not work the first one or two times. AND I'm finishing my last year of school, AND I won't have mat leave benefits. We can live on DH's salary easily, and afford things fine but at this time our savings went to our wedding (we had to pay for it 100%) and our vacation and we have no savings at the moment so the first attempt has to go on our line of credit. But it's tax deductible in Canada (you get 25% returned) plus I have more coming back because I'm a student, plus DH is teaching a class at the university the first semester so that's extra money. But when do we start, before the end of the tax year? And then how long do we have to wait to try again? 6 months? Do we try once a year for the next few years? Are we sure we don't want to push to try IUI first despite what the doc recommends? Why do we have to pay for what most people get for free? This isn't fair! DH deserves a better wife. What if it works and I have another miscarriage? What if it works and it's stillborn? What if it's twins? The doc doesn't think I should do twins because of my uterus but they run naturally in the family. They said the max the transfer is 3 but would prefer only 1 for me, but what if 1 doesn't take? Is 2 a better chance? How do we know the actual risks? How can I pay $10,000.00 for only 1 embryo? This is too much for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there you have it, my head space. Help wanted.

Hey :) I want to come home and address this :) First off it's 10K for the actual procedure. If you get a good number of embryos, they can freeze ($200/year) and each subsequent transfer is only $1500....not 10K. I was thinking we were going to try 2, but my doctor might actually have me convinced that a single embryo would be better for me and baby - less risky pregnancy. If it doesn't work for us, we're trying again in 3 months....The rest will have to wait, cause I have to run :)
  • thinthought
    thinthought Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Jalara-- don't think at all that your conception problems are indicative of your abilities or value as a wife. health issues are health issues-- if your husband got ill (God forbid) and was not able to work or do something as he used to, I am sure you wouldn't relate it to his abilities as a husband. I believe it is the same for you. From what I see in this forum, you are totally committed, considerate, caring, dedicated... and and and... I believe your husband feels like there is no other person he would rather be going through these trials with. I am wishing you nothing but the best!
    ps- thanks, I will check out fertility friend. as for the luteal phase thoughts. I will have to read more, but I just wondered if it could be connected since my cycle has been getting gradually longer every month, and cycles are different. Darker, more painful for the first day... I don't know like I said I need to read more.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! Month #2 on the forum!

Jalara- you are not a bad wife at all, I am certain that your husband loves you regardless of any physical problems you have. I wish I had more to say or that I could make it all better but I know that I cant. I have been praying for you and I do send my hugs! Good luck with everything and hang in there! I hope Pam is right and that it's no as expensive if you need to try more than once (but I REALLY hope that isn't necessary!) I also have heard of clinics that are more like 20,000 for the first try but they have a guarantee and will keep trying until you get pregnant you might want to look into that. Also, thanks for all the abbreviations I LOVE AW hehehehe

Peace out all! I'll post more later.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    ps- thanks, I will check out fertility friend. as for the luteal phase thoughts. I will have to read more, but I just wondered if it could be connected since my cycle has been getting gradually longer every month, and cycles are different. Darker, more painful for the first day... I don't know like I said I need to read more.

Mine has been doing the same thing except that it is lighter the first day, then I think it's gone then I get slammed with major cramps and heavy flow! It's all so confusing...do you think part of it might be because you haven't really paid attention to your cycle before? I'm wondering it this is actually "normal" for me but I just haven't cared to pay attention