How to talk to guys!?

Options

Replies

• thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Casual and confident...

and those who said BE YOURSELF..this cannot be stressed enough. Men hate pretense most of the time.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Great question. Though I'd say that being myself has never worked for me. Yes, I'm very aware of what that says about me. It sucks, but some of us have to be boring and uninteresting so the rest of you can seem witty and clever! Good luck!

p.s. I love how the ladder theory is footnoted with "stupidness.com."
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a hook up, then be flirty, act interested in everything he says, and just be approachable.

If you are looking for a relationship , talk about non-hot button issues first, music, TV, movies, stuff like that. Show him attention, be honest, but all don't make yourself too available. Hard to get really does work.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Meh. I wouldn't sweat it. It's not like most of them will be listening anyway. :tongue:

Did you say something?
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    Haha u think ur above the system u are going to get used and abused by guys who game girls like u

I am entirely too strong and smart to be played- but thanks for the advice :) I've been around enough jerks to know whose a player, and whose honest.

I also put up walls like no other- kind of comes hand in hand with shyness, you know? Please, don't act like you know me when you obviously don't. I don't appreciate being belittled.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    Wow I have just the opposite problem...talking to women freaks me out...men are easy to talk to cuz you can totally be yourself and there's no judgment(usually),just walk up and say hi that's usually all it takes lol gl hun.

I'm not afraid of women like I am men. I don't see other women as people I have to impress, ahah. I feel like if they are going to be good friends they'll like me for who I am :)

I guess I could apply that to men as well... hmmm
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    just say, "Yo you want a beer?" that works everytime :wink:
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Be yourself. I hooked mine on the first date telling dirty jokes, I LOVE dirty jokes. You want someone who will like you for you!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, I have my first date in 5 years this weekend. Tonight he tells me that he is nervous and strangely, I'm not at all. Just be yourself! What's the worst that can happen? I don't recommend trying to play games. Usually end up in confusion or heartache.

By the way, ignore the little pricks. Apparently out in full force tonight.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Do all guys intimidate u or just ones you think r above u?
    Go after guys that are just under your level - and practice on them.

Work ur way up the ladder as ladder theory permits.

For more info on ladder theory check out this link.

http://www.laddertheory.com/

I'm going to venture out here and guess that about 90% of people on this site are going to call the ladder theory bully****. Most people are not that shallow.
  • rungurlrun
    Options
    i know this feeling. i was in a relationship for nearly 3 years and my ex was extremely paranoid and possessive :/

Now my social skills aren't that great. I've always had social anxiety, but i had overcome it when I met my ex. :/

What helped me last time was moving to another country, so I am doing that again. I know this isn't possible for some, and some probably wouldn't want to make such a drastic change, but I think even if you are awkward guys will still like u ^.^

Even when i have been very awkward, I've had guys approach me. ^.^ So...you look like a pretty girl, so um...i think even if u r very awkward u will have no problems getting guys attention :)

This post made me laugh, because my 2 year relationship just ended and he was a bit possessive too, so I was reading and waiting for some good advice.....and leave the country, aw shucks, a bit too extreme for me...lol. If it helps, I completely relate with this topic, I am sorta shy and intimidated at first so I never find conversation or flirting easy or natural. I need to work on it again...haha. Thanks for posting the topic.
  • ukriley
    Options
    You just need to remember one thing, despite what a man says or thinks, if a woman doesn't want it, the man doesn't get it! You have all the power! So with that said, eye contact, smile, be kind and funny (but not too giggly) be yourself. You can make anything happen for you!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've never really had an issue with talking to guys... they are just people you know? Walk up and say hi... see where it goes from there.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    funny a attractive woman has this issue, its usually the guy that is not sure of themselves.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options

I'm going to venture out here and guess that about 90% of people on this site are going to call the ladder theory bully****. Most people are not that shallow.

oh yes. pop stats, gotta love those. you think being shallow is below you? how about this recent little gem (see article below).
    the sad truth my friends, is that everyone has a magical little number floating above their heads. so you go ahead and be naive - but we both know thats why you're not dating the cream of the crop. or is it because they're too shallow to realize how sweet and kind you are? haha

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/opinion/sunday/ugly-you-may-have-a-case.html

Ugly? You May Have a CaseBy DANIEL S. HAMERMESH
    Published: August 27, 2011
    Recommend
    Twitter
    Sign In to E-Mail

Print

Reprints

Close
    LinkedinDiggMySpacePermalink. Daniel S. Hamermesh, a professor of economics at the University of Texas, Austin, is the author of "Beauty Pays," published this month.

Enlarge This Image

Mark Pernice
    BEING good-looking is useful in so many ways.

In addition to whatever personal pleasure it gives you, being attractive also helps you earn more money, find a higher-earning spouse (and one who looks better, too!) and get better deals on mortgages. Each of these facts has been demonstrated over the past 20 years by many economists and other researchers. The effects are not small: one study showed that an American worker who was among the bottom one-seventh in looks, as assessed by randomly chosen observers, earned 10 to 15 percent less per year than a similar worker whose looks were assessed in the top one-third — a lifetime difference, in a typical case, of about $230,000.

Beauty is as much an issue for men as for women. While extensive research shows that women’s looks have bigger impacts in the market for mates, another large group of studies demonstrates that men’s looks have bigger impacts on the job.

Why this disparate treatment of looks in so many areas of life? It’s a matter of simple prejudice. Most of us, regardless of our professed attitudes, prefer as customers to buy from better-looking salespeople, as jurors to listen to better-looking attorneys, as voters to be led by better-looking politicians, as students to learn from better-looking professors. This is not a matter of evil employers’ refusing to hire the ugly: in our roles as workers, customers and potential lovers we are all responsible for these effects.

How could we remedy this injustice? With all the gains to being good-looking, you would think that more people would get plastic surgery or makeovers to improve their looks. Many of us do all those things, but as studies have shown, such refinements make only small differences in our beauty. All that spending may make us feel better, but it doesn’t help us much in getting a better job or a more desirable mate.

A more radical solution may be needed: why not offer legal protections to the ugly, as we do with racial, ethnic and religious minorities, women and handicapped individuals?

We actually already do offer such protections in a few places, including in some jurisdictions in California, and in the District of Columbia, where discriminatory treatment based on looks in hiring, promotions, housing and other areas is prohibited. Ugliness could be protected generally in the United States by small extensions of the Americans With Disabilities Act. Ugly people could be allowed to seek help from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and other agencies in overcoming the effects of discrimination. We could even have affirmative-action programs for the ugly.

The mechanics of legislating this kind of protection are not as difficult as you might think. You might argue that people can’t be classified by their looks — that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That aphorism is correct in one sense: if asked who is the most beautiful person in a group of beautiful people, you and I might well have different answers. But when it comes to differentiating classes of attractiveness, we all view beauty similarly: someone whom you consider good-looking will be viewed similarly by most others; someone you consider ugly will be viewed as ugly by most others. In one study, more than half of a group of people were assessed identically by each of two observers using a five-point scale; and very few assessments differed by more than one point.

For purposes of administering a law, we surely could agree on who is truly ugly, perhaps the worst-looking 1 or 2 percent of the population. The difficulties in classification are little greater than those faced in deciding who qualifies for protection on grounds of disabilities that limit the activities of daily life, as shown by conflicting decisions in numerous legal cases involving obesity.

There are other possible objections. “Ugliness” is not a personal trait that many people choose to embrace; those whom we classify as protected might not be willing to admit that they are ugly. But with the chance of obtaining extra pay and promotions amounting to $230,000 in lost lifetime earnings, there’s a large enough incentive to do so. Bringing anti-discrimination lawsuits is also costly, and few potential plaintiffs could afford to do so. But many attorneys would be willing to organize classes of plaintiffs to overcome these costs, just as they now do in racial-discrimination and other lawsuits.

Economic arguments for protecting the ugly are as strong as those for protecting some groups currently covered by legislation. So why not go ahead and expand protection to the looks-challenged? There’s one legitimate concern. With increasingly tight limits on government resources, expanding rights to yet another protected group would reduce protection for groups that have commanded our legislative and other attention for over 50 years.

We face a trade-off: ignore a deserving group of citizens, or help them but limit help available for other groups. Even though I myself have demonstrated the disadvantages of ugliness in 20 years of research, I nonetheless would hate to see anything that might reduce assistance to groups now aided by protective legislation.

You might reasonably disagree and argue for protecting all deserving groups. Either way, you shouldn’t be surprised to see the United States heading toward this new legal frontier.
  • fbmandy55
    Options

oh yes. pop stats, gotta love those. you think being shallow is below you? how about this recent little gem (see article below).
    the sad truth my friends, is that everyone has a magical little number floating above their heads. so you go ahead and be naive - but we both know thats why you're not dating the cream of the crop. or is it because they're too shallow to realize how sweet and kind you are? haha

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/opinion/sunday/ugly-you-may-have-a-case.html

one study showed that an American worker who was among the bottom one-seventh in looks, as assessed by randomly chosen observers, earned 10 to 15 percent less per year than a similar worker whose looks were assessed in the top one-third —

Seems more opinionated than factual.. For example, the one stat I saw was from a study based on people's opinion of one's appearance. For as many good-looking successful people that the article implies, you can easily find just as many "ugly" successful people.

I'll stick with my theory that people DON'T have a little number floating over their head and pesonality/qualification play a bigger role.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options
    lol its OBVIOUSLY subjective. what does factual even mean? we're only talking about attractiveness as it relates to other peoples perception.

i could probably cite you several other scholarly articles - and im sure if you keep pushing the issue i will. but plz dont waste my time with this nonsense
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    just show your boobs. It'll ensure a date w/o uttering a word.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Smile at them, bat your eyelashes. They will come running.

or wear a bunny tail. It works every time
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Wow- what was the original question???????

One person can be attracted to someone. Another person may feel they aren't attracted to them. Who calls the shots as to who is attractive?
    Everyone has their own taste in who is attractive and who isn't to them.

If someone is attractive initially to someone, they start talking and right away you feel they are someone who comes across as someone you aren't attracted to mentally, the physical part doesn't stay too long.

Goes the other way too. You start talking to someone who sounds interesting and someone who you have fun with, they become more attractive naturally.

I didn't read the number thing. Everyone has their own opinion as to who is attractive.