Over 40 - Christmas Challenge (Closed)

Options

Replies

• MauiSue
    MauiSue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I did not see my post on the website so I am re-posting.....

Aloha, my MFP friend shared your Christmas Challenge and I am totally in awe of all of your posts already! I would be honored to join your wonderful "Christmas Challenge"!

I am single and going to be 60 years old in October but still feel like I am 35 years old in the core of my being. My son will be turning 37 years old on Sunday, September 4th... it truly feels like yesterday that he was 19" long and now he is 6'4"! My career demands a great deal of change/flexibility as I am a Real Estate Broker and have worked in the business since 1978. I have lived in Maui for over 15 years and enjoy the Aloha Spirit. I spend a great deal of time in front of the computer because our business model in this day and age is via email, online programs and social networking (not good for the body).... but does save time and energy “hooking up with clients”~ where I would meet them in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge, when I began my career in the Bay Area.

My intention with this challenge is to be accountable to all of you and to hopefully, make some wonderful friends along the way!

SW - 212 lbs (2006)
    MFP SW- 192 (4/4/11-MFP)
    CW- 173
    GW – 142 (Dec 25)
    Week 1 - xxx (Aug 22)
    Week 2 - xxx (Aug 29)
    Week 3 - xxx (Sep 5)
    Week 4 - xxx (Sep 12)
    Week 5 - xxx (Sep 19)
    Week 6 - xxx (Sep 26)
    Week 7 - xxx (Oct 3)
    Week 9 - xxx (Oct 10)
    Week 10 - xxx (Oct 17)
    Week 11 - xxx (Oct 24)
    Week 12 - xxx (Oct 31)
    Week 13 - xxx (Nov 7)
    Week 14 - xxx (Nov 14)
    Week 15 - xxx (Nov 21)
    Week 16 - xxx (Nov 28)
    Week 17 - xxx (Dec 5)
    Week 18 - xxx (Dec 12)
    Week 19 - xxx (Dec 19)
    Final - xxx (Dec 25))
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Aloha, my MFP friend shared your Christmas Challenge and I am totally in awe of all of your posts already! I would be honored to join your wonderful "Christmas Challenge"!

My career demands a great deal of change/flexibility as I am a Real Estate Broker and have worked in the business since 1978. I have lived in Maui for over 15 years and enjoy the Aloha Spirit. I spend a great deal of time in front of the computer because our business model in this day and age is via email, online programs and social networking (not good for the body).... but does save time and energy “hooking up with clients”~ where I would meet them in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge, when I began my career in the Bay Area.

My intention with this challenge is to be accountable to all of you and to hopefully, make some wonderful friends along the way!

Welcome! from the Bay Area :-)
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well, I am feeling a little down on myself this morning. I didn't eat the greatest yesterday and I didn't get my workout in. I haven't been sleeping the greatest and I didn't feel well all day yesterday. So this morning I was up a pound! Ugh! :( Pretty sure its water weight and I will get back on the "wagon" today. Just struggling with staying motivated! :sad:

I find I keep getting in this pattern too, I get started for about a week or two, start fluctuating all over then I get frustrated and quit! I need to get over this hump and get pushing forward with my goals!

Does anyone else fluctuate alot or how often do you weigh? I am trying not to weigh everyday but its hard for me not to jump on that dang thing and check!

Help! :sick:
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! A rainy day here today in Canada and I'm in good spirits!!!..lol... I love this group! I have the little guy this week so the only excercise I have been able to get in is my walking and my lateral thigh trainer. Can't jump on the treadmill cause he comes near it too and I don't want him to injure himself. On another note... feeling good and can't wait to for weigh in day! It's a holiday weekend here in Canada, so I wish everyone a safe weekend and everyone else a great weekend!!
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Morning all.

I do good on my water intake and usually good on my calorie intake, I have been working with a trainer for a month now, and I have been doing better with my motivation because of it. Where I need help is....relaxing in stressful times or releasing stress. I have found that working out is a great way to get your aggression out. My hubby Dave has progessive MS and is losing his sight. We have a 20 ys old and a 17 yr old, they are grown, healthy and very independent, but I am still the glue that holds us all together. If anyone out there deals with a chronic health issue I would love to hear what you do to relieve stress, other than the gym, walk, hot bath or massage...these are what I do now, my biggest issue is the stress keeps coming back....haha!!
    I am learning to not use food as a comfort :)

Thanks a bunch
    Robin
  • dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I did not see my post on the website so I am re-posting.....

Hi Sue, it would be on the old board I had to start a new one when I closed the forum. :smile:
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Morning all.

I do good on my water intake and usually good on my calorie intake, I have been working with a trainer for a month now, and I have been doing better with my motivation because of it. Where I need help is....relaxing in stressful times or releasing stress. I have found that working out is a great way to get your aggression out. My hubby Dave has progessive MS and is losing his sight. We have a 20 ys old and a 17 yr old, they are grown, healthy and very independent, but I am still the glue that holds us all together. If anyone out there deals with a chronic health issue I would love to hear what you do to relieve stress, other than the gym, walk, hot bath or massage...these are what I do now, my biggest issue is the stress keeps coming back....haha!!
    I am learning to not use food as a comfort :)

Thanks a bunch
    Robin

Hi Robin

I find mediation works really well, it is the best thing I have come across.
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Well, I am feeling a little down on myself this morning. I didn't eat the greatest yesterday and I didn't get my workout in. I haven't been sleeping the greatest and I didn't feel well all day yesterday. So this morning I was up a pound! Ugh! :( Pretty sure its water weight and I will get back on the "wagon" today. Just struggling with staying motivated! :sad:

I find I keep getting in this pattern too, I get started for about a week or two, start fluctuating all over then I get frustrated and quit! I need to get over this hump and get pushing forward with my goals!

Does anyone else fluctuate alot or how often do you weigh? I am trying not to weigh everyday but its hard for me not to jump on that dang thing and check!

Help! :sick:

Hi Jenn

I am obsessive I weigh in each day, and yes I fluctuate too. There are a few things that keep my from quitting, one I can tell my body I know the blah feeling and you know the scale will reflect, but you also have the days you feel good, and I am waiting for the scale to catch up.... so I do measurements, try on clothes etc... because it is not only the scale that shows your progress.

It is psychological which is why I think small goals are important, whether it is simply to not snack that day or get in more water or get to the gym, the battle with the scale is a huge struggle and it can easily defeat us if we do not get small victories along the way.

Chin up.... we are all routing for you!!!
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Good morning everyone! A rainy day here today in Canada and I'm in good spirits!!!..lol... I love this group! I have the little guy this week so the only excercise I have been able to get in is my walking and my lateral thigh trainer. Can't jump on the treadmill cause he comes near it too and I don't want him to injure himself. On another note... feeling good and can't wait to for weigh in day! It's a holiday weekend here in Canada, so I wish everyone a safe weekend and everyone else a great weekend!!

Yep I am enjoying the holiday too... where are you from, I live in Northern Alberta?
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Made a milestone today my BMI is under 40, 39.8 first time in about 5 years - yay!!!
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Good Evening everyone,
    I hope your hoilday weekend is going great.
    I had an ok day today,
    I know christmas is coming when i start harvesting the pears and making pear and ginger chutney, its cooking now and smells sinfully good. I shall have to remember to use it lightly this year so not to waste all the hard work that happening now!!!
    Why do we save all those rich and delicous foods for just one day in the year, would plum pudding with brandy sauce taste different in july?
    Ah well that's enough of my rambling.
    xx

dfeledichuk well done on your milestone that cool.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    LHann glad you found us, sounds like a great holiday weekend for you.
    Here’s to a new profile picture for all of us Christmas 2011, Brobin
    Sherrill the cucumber and spinach do count LOL on the veggie burgers though!
    dfeledichuk I am proud of you too. You have such busy days so that must have been hard getting to the gym but afterwards satisfying. Yes and also congratulations for getting your BMI down.
    Robin you are doing an amazing job. Exercise is great for stress. I have only been dealing with my Mother who is having some medical problems. She just lost her husband this summer. The rest of my family went out of town for a wedding celebration (I couldn’t afford to go since it was in France) so I am dealing with it on my own but all will be back next week to help too.
    MauiSue my husband is from Hawaii. His Mom and Brother are there. We wish we could afford to visit more.
    Jenn – I am the queen of weight fluctuation and like dfeledichuk I weigh myself everyday. I just like information and have read this is positively related to weight loss just as logging food daily is. I think of my weight loss as starting at the top of a mountain range and making my way down and up the lower and lower mountains and valleys on my way to the low lands. I only log my lowest weight since I know I am losing or maintaining right now. Just when I hit a low I seem to immediately rise a few pounds and hover above my newest low weight for at least a few days. When I start to lose I get closer and closer to my low weight until I finally lose some more and then the next day I am back up again. I do wonder if I could drink 14 glasses of water everyday would my fluctuation be limited. I have done well at 8 but am struggling with more. It depends on your weight how much water to drink so 8 glasses is enough for those that are closer to their ideal weight than I am. It does take some adjustments to get your calorie goal right for you. That is what is hardest for me. You get it right but what works changes as you lose etc. I can also relate to your not so good day yesterday. I slept in and missed my Zumba class. Then my husband wanted to go out for gelato last night. I barely made my calorie goal. It may have been good since I spent the day straightening up the house in anticipation of my daughter starting school next week.

My husband has built up alot of vacation and he has had to schedule alot of days off or he will lose them. I am finding this and labor day weekend is throwing off my routines. He will have every other Friday off so I will have to be careful about not missing Zumba on those days. He will be able to go to my Monday Aquafit with me since he is off. He loves my teacher too. She is really great at getting a great work out from us. It is really good for the core. I am loving the results of straigtening yesterday so I think I will continue. We have a last minute family bbq tonight (my husbands side this time).
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Yep I am enjoying the holiday too... where are you from, I live in Northern Alberta?

Sault Ste.Marie, Ont. Canada
  • joyfulthanks
    Options
    Sorry for the long absence. Hubby and I just got back from a 2+ week camping vacation - the longest vacation we've ever taken! Unfortunately, I'm sure that I've gained quite a bit of weight in that time. Tomorrow, I'm getting back on the wagon, and looking forward to the challenge!
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Sorry for the long absence. Hubby and I just got back from a 2+ week camping vacation - the longest vacation we've ever taken! Unfortunately, I'm sure that I've gained quite a bit of weight in that time. Tomorrow, I'm getting back on the wagon, and looking forward to the challenge!

Sometimes we need to enjoy the little breaks, I am sure you will do awesome when you start back up tomorrow.
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Made a milestone today my BMI is under 40, 39.8 first time in about 5 years - yay!!!

That is AwEsOmE - Congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Water check - Already had my 8 x glasses today Chug Chug :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: How many have you had?
  • paxetamore
    Options

Sault Ste.Marie, Ont. Canada

My family roots are there!
  • paxetamore
    Options

Yay for you!!! That is a job well done!
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Water check in :drinker: :drinker: Just finished my 8 glasses of H2O :drinker: :drinker:

Awesome- it does get easier!

It really does get easier, I used to not drink water at all and now I can drink 8 glasses a day. I don't even have to add anything to the water now...it just doesn't taste right to me anymore. Just want plain old water and I'm enjoying it :-)