Trying to lose weight while eating Fast Food and Candy

Options
Ok folks, I run the risk of being beaten into the ground but I just don't get how anyone can think they can lose weight while eating Fast Food and Candy. I've seen some food diaries out there and I'm amazed at what some people eat. I realize that counting calories allows us to eat anything we want as long as we're within our goal, but is eating this way really realistic?

If I have a birthday party coming up or a special occasion, I'll prep and bank up some calories so I may partake in something "special", but I certainly don't do it everyday.

Personally, I try to eat low calorie foods, veggies, fruit, snacks, during the day because I can eat MORE of these low calorie selections and not be hungry. Also, personally, and this is just for me as well, if I eat something with a lot of carbs, something sugary, or bready, I find I get hungry sooner than if I had something with more protein.

Everyone is different, I know, but, learning to eat the right foods to help you lose weight and maintain your weight for the REST OF YOUR LIFE is key. Learning to exercise, finding the exercise that's right for you that you will do forever for the REST OF YOUR LIFE is key. I'm just saying the door to success here has many locks, and you have to have the right keys to unlock them.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe fried chicken, pork bellies and caramel chocolate bars are the way to go rather than salads, fruits, and lean meats. So what is everyone out there eating?

Replies

• Nichole90
    Options
    Ok folks, I run the risk of being beaten into the ground but I just don't get how anyone can think they can lose weight while eating Fast Food and Candy. I've seen some food diaries out there and I'm amazed at what some people eat. I realize that counting calories allows us to eat anything we want as long as we're within our goal, but is eating this way really realistic?

If I have a birthday party coming up or a special occasion, I'll prep and bank up some calories so I may partake in something "special", but I certainly don't do it everyday.

Personally, I try to eat low calorie foods, veggies, fruit, snacks, during the day because I can eat MORE of these low calorie selections and not be hungry. Also, personally, and this is just for me as well, if I eat something with a lot of carbs, something sugary, or bready, I find I get hungry sooner than if I had something with more protein.

Everyone is different, I know, but, learning to eat the right foods to help you lose weight and maintain your weight for the REST OF YOUR LIFE is key. Learning to exercise, finding the exercise that's right for you that you will do forever for the REST OF YOUR LIFE is key. I'm just saying the door to success here has many locks, and you have to have the right keys to unlock them.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe fried chicken, pork bellies and caramel chocolate bars are the way to go rather than salads, fruits, and lean meats. So what is everyone out there eating?
    guess it just depends on the person..i went a weekend with not watching cals and eating out and figured id gain and actually i LOST 2lbs....so really i guess it just depends....lol
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Studies have shown this is the most effective way of losing weight. It will work FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I have this very same thing filed under "Things Other People Do That Don't Affect Me."
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I think eating fast food and candy at every meal is bad, but for many people it's not realistic to cook all their meals and stuff. Besides, we all need a break from healthy eating, and there are many "healthier" choices at fast food restaurants. I eat ice cream almost every night, because if I didn't, I would feel like I'm depriving myself. But I eat a prepackaged portion and when I'm done, I am done.
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat a little of everything...I read a post the other day where everyone was talking about oatmeal and the things that they add to it for a healthy breakfast or snack. I tried it and voila I don't get those nasty mid morning munchies. my friend hunger doesn't show up till about 15-30 min. before lunch...trust me I'm liking that. I love my vegis but they don't stay with me long enough...I live in a house of beef lovers so it gets hard to be creative with my meat...
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't want to live without treats. I think I eat VERY healthy compared to some, but now and then I have to have a yummy treat. I like the weight watcher brand desserts and ice cream bars.

All veggies and no chocolate makes Catwrangler an unhappy girl :bigsmile:

For example, the other day I was filling my car with gas at a convenience store. I payed inside and also got a diet Pepsi. I almost never drink sodas, so it was a treat for me. At the checkout I noticed these small candy bars, a new product. They were some kind of Mexican chocolate bar, 110 calories each. It was pretty good! I didn't go over my cals that day, either.

It can be done. But I agree it's not the best way to live if you are going to do it every day or several times a week.
  • hoosiermama1977
    Options
    I don't think anyone says to eat ONLY fast food and candy but I sure do believe in all things in moderation. If you eat healthfully 80% of the time you will do great - just count all of it and enjoy. I've ate very healthy for months now, worked out regularly and my weight just stalled. Went out last night to eat, consumed thousands of extra calories (and felt bad about it mentally) woke up this a.m. down 3 lbs! If you were to say to me that I can't ever have candy or fast food it's allllllllllll I'm going to want. If you say to me - sure you can have it - just log it and balance it - then it loses it's control over me, it all just becomes food. I'd rather have a 200 calorie treat daily then try to eat clean 100% of the time and fail again like I have before - all or nothing thinking NEVER works for me - it makes me feel like I'm on a diet and for me dieting doesn't work!!! Healthy people don't just eat healthy all the time - they don't obsess over it.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation for me!
    I hardly eat anything chocolate or fast food anyway, when I do it's about every 2-3 months, but if I want it I'll eat it.
    Although I did notice when I ate junk food my weight loss didn't happen, but that doesn't happen for some people. They're the lucky ones!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Your talking about loosing weight. Calories in, calories out. Why does it matter what those are made up of?
    I'm pretty sure I could loose weight by eating under my goal in dog food and moldy cheese.

being healthy is different.
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    In some ways I agree with you. All calories are not created equal. However, never deny yourself something you enjoy, because you will end up over doing it later. I think planning it into your day is the best way. Sometimes, eating "junk" can help boost that metabolism a bit if you're in a plateau. It actually helped me. Everything should be done in moderation.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have found everything in moderation! If i want chocolate ill have a small piece, otherwise if i ignore the craving i am more likely to binge later on. Also i have such a high calorie allowance at this weight/activity level that if i ate "perfect" as so many ppl say is the way to go, then i will be continually eating all day long. I already eat 5-6 small meals/snacks and i stay pretty healthy on most of them but when i have 1000-1600 calories left at the end of the day what do you do? I go more along the lines of the 80-20. As many have posted before, Its gotta be something i can live with forever. As i lose more weight and my calorie allocation goes down i will cut out more of the "bad stuff" and add in more "good stuff"
  • sfalk1977
    sfalk1977 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I eat SOME chocolate (not every day, only when I've not eaten enough calories but I'm not that hungry) and probably more carbs than I need, but at this moment in time it is what is keeping me on track - a little of something you like does you no harm as long as it doesn't become a daily habit. If I indulge, I compensate by eating smaller portions than normal, load up on vegetables and cut or reduce quantites of potatoes/pasta/rice etc I pretty much always stay within goal.

Sarah
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    as long as it's in moderation I don't think it's a problem. I had fast food twice yesterday (i'm moving), and still managed to eat pretty healthy and stay in my calories. once in a while I'll have a hershys mini (0r 2), and I've still managed to lose 47 pounds. Now... if I ate a full size candy bar and had big macs instead then I'd be in trouble.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i eat candy ALL the time
  • kayleeblue
    Options
    A person has to do whats right for them..If I don't have chocolate milk in the house someone is gonna get hurt! I may only have a cup all day long, but I know it's there if I do want it. I'v tried the salads and lean foods weeks on end...I was cranky and miserable. I have something sweet and or chocolate every day. This way I won't go on a eating spree and screw up everything I've done already. I've been averaging a pound a week and I'm ok with that. I'm always running here or there with my job so fast food is easy access. I have however given up McDonalds and Burger King and am happier with Subway. Good Luck and do what works for you!
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    I"m a movie addict, and cannot go to one without having myself some popcorn. When I do this, I just count it as a meal because it's soooooo high in calories! I'm still losing weight and have a big tub of popcorn once a week. I would definitely be more effective in my weight loss and lose faster if I didn't eat the popcorn, but we can die at any moment and I don't want to be an unhappy skinny *****. I want to be a happy balanced individual!
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm with you all the way on this one. I don't eat any junk (other than a Skinny cow or fudgesicle, gotta have a treat). My diet consists of FRESH fruits and veggies, lean protein, legumes, whole grains only and low fat dairy like plain Greek yogurt. I don't eat anything made with flour and don't eat anything with sugar or God forbid high fructose corn syrup. lol My sugars come from fruits and veggies. You are right about carbs and bready stuff, they do make you want to eat more. It has to do with insulin and blood sugar highs and lows. My point with eating foods is that I won't eat empty calories. Thanks for sharing your post.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I think eating fast food and candy at every meal is bad, but for many people it's not realistic to cook all their meals and stuff. Besides, we all need a break from healthy eating, and there are many "healthier" choices at fast food restaurants. I eat ice cream almost every night, because if I didn't, I would feel like I'm depriving myself. But I eat a prepackaged portion and when I'm done, I am done.

I will not be able to never touch candy or fast food again. So in order for this lifestyle change to be a reflection of what I want the rest of my life to be like... I need to have some of that in there. And there are times where I will eat it very often and there are times when I won't eat it much at all. But what I don't need is someone telling me that I can't lose weight that way, when I am down 60lbs from where I started.

Everyone is different.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I agree with you but I think many people here aren't interested in changing their lifestyles, just looking for a quick fix and yes, if they are under their calorie goals, they'll still lose weight. Meh, it's not my problem what they do. There is always talk of not wanting to 'deprive" yourself but there is a difference in having a small bowl of ice cream a few times a week and eating pop tarts for breakfast every day. Moderation is a word that gets thrown around a lot but it obviously means different things to different people.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I remember watching a thing a wile ago about a CIO of a health food energy bar place. They followed him on his long run (like 20 miles) and he didn't eat a health bar, he stopped for a whopper.