do you log every single food you eat?

Options

Replies

• michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I've done enough research on the per-nut, per-cherry, per-grape, per-carrot, etc. calorie counts that I can see how it adds up -- especially with the sugars. Also, if I'm going to be publicly embarrassed, I'm more likely to stick to it. :-)
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Everything. This has become a hobby for me. I love logging. But I don't snack or take nibbles or bites. They DO add up. I eat meals. Love living this way :love:
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I have a little boy and I'm always taking little bites of whatever I make him and it adds up so quickly. Most of the time when I'm just taking a bite of this a bite of that I log it as quick added calories.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If you don't log it all you're only fooling yourself. You need to in order to see the full picture.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well, most of the time, I do. But I'll be honest, it's still a work in progress.

Sometimes I leave out a stick or two of sugarfree gum or a glass of crystal light. Or a few raspberries pinched from the fridge on my way by. Or the contents of the serving spoon I licked off as I put it in the sink. A nibble here, a taste there... It's not ideal, but it's the truth.

For me, having that little bit of slack keeps me sane. I'm sure it adds up over time, but it hasn't really prevented me from reaching my goals, so I guess it's ok for now to keep working at it.

EDIT: I did, however, log a single potato chip once after I ate it. I thought that was awesome!
  • undermajorconstruction
    Options
    I just decided not take any bites because I think about the time that it takes to find it in the database and with the correct cals. Since my computer is slow sometimes, I just end up getting frustated thinking abt it and stick to my plan. I do log butter and cooking oil as well as chicken broth which I use to make the brown rice.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes I log everything. You'd be surprised how calories can sneak up on you
  • I do, but if i'm making a snack for my girls and I have a tiny bite or lick the spoon or eat a chip, etc...I just do a 'quick add 10/15/20 calories' I want to be accountable for the food I put in my belly but I'm not going to search out 'licked the jam spoon' in the database. lol

I do the exact same thing! It's a bit annoying to have to look up every tiny detail like 5 m&m's, so I'll take a quick glance at the calories per serving and do a quick calorie guess than just enter it into MFP under "quick add calories" instead of having to look up every single thing. This way it keeps you honest with your calorie intake, but you don't have to worry about entering every single item you eat. =]
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Yes. Everything that goes down the hatch gets logged. Unless I announce publicly that it's not getting logged.

Either way, it's full disclosure.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    In a word, YES.
  • imcountingcalories
    Options
    Everything! I keeps me honest! :smile:
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    yes
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    yes...

and yes it's tedious.... but it keeps me accountable and make me take notice of every food/drink i put in my mouth.

can become obsessive and borderline unhealthy though... i am fully aware. lol.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The thought of having to log everything I eat helps me not want to take that one bite or a few bites. I don't feel like having to log it in. :smile:
  • trailriderdee
    Options
    Yes most definitely... if you had one almond a day it could be 365 unlogged almonds a year...add that up. :)

I do keep forgetting to log my fiber pills I recently added to the regimen, they are 10 calories a day. I will remember going forward!
  • huneydo
    huneydo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sooooo, i guess from now on i'm going to either not eat it (because i stress out about having to log "three chips" or "bite of hot delicious pretzel") or i'm going to guesstimate the calories. how you all guesstimate calories accurately is beyond me......

it's been a chore so far to log "one pecan" (which is literally what i will eat, obviously i have a problem grazing), but i know for a fact those hidden calories can add up ("three swallows of jamba juice).

*sigh*
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log just about everything especially little bites or nibbles of food. Those really sneak up on me. For me, it really often surprises me how much things that seem so small can quickly add up. logging everything is also teaching me the calorie content of foods. I dont always log medicines or some veggies that I know are negligible in calories like a slice of onion or a leaf of lettuce. I try to but sometimes I forget those.

However, I like tracking. Its a little game to me.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    I do the reverse. I eat every single food I log. I plan/log everything before I eat it. Sometimes plans change, but I almost always change the log first before I eat differently from what I had planned. This is a huge help to me in staying on track.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I log everything!!! I have to, so i can look back if ive gone over my calorie goal and ive not excercised and i can work around it!

The reason why im here today on this site with over 80lbs to loose is because i never watched and kept track of what was going in my mouth and it just shows all those little snacks here and there and late night snacking has got me here!!

Good luck to everyone :)
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    No. I don't. But, at the same time I don't log every step I take. So I figure they cancel each other out. If i go in and eat one cracker I don't record it but also make it a point not to record going grocery shopping that day.

Same here. Guess I should start recording everything cos the scales are gradually going in the wrong direction :sad: