Is a rough childhood an acceptable excuse?

Options

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I'm one of those kids with a sad childhood, although, most of it was beyond wonderful, some of it was horrific. I can't let what happened to me as child prevent me from succeeding now. Life sucks, move on.

I should add, it has taken me years of therapy to get to this point. Before therapy I refused to be held back simply because I didn't want the people who hurt me to ruin my future, I succeeded out of spite, so same goal, different attitude now.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I know a lot of people who have had less than desirable experiences in their childhood, some were downright horrible. I’ve heard many of them blame their lack of success (no high school diploma or GED for example) on the way they were brought up. Verbal and/or physical abuse, parents on drugs, abandonment…whatever the case. Do you feel that as an adult, that’s an acceptable excuse?

I think you can overcome anything in life if you work hard, have faith and choose love over bitterness. I am a perfect example.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who have had less than desirable experiences in their childhood, some were downright horrible. I’ve heard many of them blame their lack of success (no high school diploma or GED for example) on the way they were brought up. Verbal and/or physical abuse, parents on drugs, abandonment…whatever the case. Do you feel that as an adult, that’s an acceptable excuse?

like you say, its an excuse....
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    No. Once you become an adult, you also must accept responsibility. Do not use what happened to you as a "crutch" or an excuse. Instead, use it to your advantage and turn that negative into positives.

I believe, for the most part, we have had something hard happen, some of us more than others, but I chose to make a better person of myself rather than fall victim to my situations. I refuse to stay down because I was knocked down before. Regardless of what happened to me in my past is no excuse for the decisions I make today and would have no one to blame but myself. I can't say, "Well, I was raped at 17, so I can be bad for the rest of my life...." It just doesn't work that way.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi...I think someone else wrote, my exact thoughts. It can be a reason, but, can not be used as an excuse. Excuses hurt ourselves and we get stuck....when we need to move forward.
  • JayPeach
    JayPeach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what alypri and orhstay said and add that all of us have difficulties to overcome and all of us have things in our past that may contribute to our struggles to lose weight. I do think it's important to acknowledge those things and accept that they happened, but ultimately it serves no purpose to dwell on them.

Moving forward, you must accept that you alone are responsible for your health and wellness and only you have the power to change things for the better.
  • pjlm88
    Options
    It depends on what outcome you want. I agree it can be a reason - and it can be an excuse if you want people to sympathize with where you are now. But really, if you focus on what your goal is, you'll find you don't need any excuses. I wish you all the best.
  • hightopps
    Options
    Nope! I didn't have the greatest childhood, and I am happy to say I was the FIRST member of my dad's side of the family in my generation to #1 - graduate high school, #2 - graduate college, #3 - get married, & #4 - have kids IN THAT ORDER! I started being treated like the matriarch of that side of the family even BEFORE my dad's mom passed away, and still am treated that way when I'm around.

Congrats! I'm the FIRST on my mom's side in any generation to graduate college, and the first to graduate high school in my generation (second youngest).
  • boomboom011
    Options
    I could go on for days about my effed up childhood but at some point you have to move on. Its in the past and you can either play the victim FOREVER or choose to overcome it. Sadly lots of people continue to play the victim.

I am a success today because of those that hurt me. I refuse to prove them right about everything they ever said to me or the things they did to me that scarred me deep down to the bone.

As a child i was a victim but as an adult I am victorious by no one else's fault but my own with my hand in Gods once I finally woke up and realized I dont have to be unhappy forever.

So to answer your question, nope its no excuse and I personally believe that they need to get over it. Somehow or another get the help you need and be the best you that you can be.
  • lavonmaestas
    Options
    No. I had a very rough childhood. I didn't get fat until I was into middle-age. It is my own fault. Bad eating habits and pure simple laziness about exercise. All of the things I like to do these days are sedentary. I have to force myself to include exercise.
  • Jolo170
    Options
    At the time you may have lacked guidance and was definatly an excuse in my opinion. Now you know the problem and can fix it. You can get your high scool diploma or GED. If you are aware of the problem and now know what to do to fix it, there is no excuse. Make it happen, its not going to happen itself.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Things I have learned in my lifetime:

Life is what it is....

Life is what you make it....

Life isn't fair...and it never will be....
  • agetlostgirl
    Options
    I had an extreemly rough childhood I mean ROUGH but I never once made an excuse for myself however later in life I did start going to therapy and was given antidepressants it helped greatly.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    **shakes head** absolutely not!!! My childhood was less than desireable and I am going back to school now, ive lost 50+ lbs, and I am improving my life. Therapy may be warrented but the fact you childhood was terrible should only make your resolve stronger
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Nope. It is what it is, Can't change it, so make the best of it.
  • roballesteros
    Options
    I know someone who has made a life time of feeling sorry for them selves and having others feel for them because of a truamatic expirience as a child. This person has been unable to move forward, even though he has had many opportunities and incredible potential. His choice to dwell and wallow in self pity over something he had no control over 20 years ago has paralyzed him to move forward. At some pointyou must move on, a traumatic childhood should not hold you back as an adult, especially if you are now surrounded by people who love you and support you.
  • boomboom011
    Options

I seriously don't think this topic should even be discussed as it will offend others, even slightly.

how can this be interpreted as offensive? I dont see the link between the 2.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

Some of my childhood was downright deplorable.

I used that to dig deep inside and accomplish things people thought I wouldn't or couldn't.

I have to admit, that at sometimes these experiences caused depression (or added to, or left the door open for).

but knowing that I have gotten through much worse, gives me strength to carry on.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    its not necessarily and excuse but it can be a reason

I sort of agree with this. It's not a great excuse but it can still be a factor in one's life.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Wow... there are some serious hard-*kitten* on here.