Stuff you don't eat or drink anymore...

Options

Replies

• VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not so much what I won't EAT any more, but what I won't BUY anymore so I can't eat/drink it...

- Juice
    - Milk (I developed semi-lactose intolerance recently from food poisoning and haven't had the guts to try almond or soy)
    - Cereal (see above--soooo sad!)
    - Pop (unless someone brings it into the house...but even then I will only drink diet)
    - Beef (too expensive!)
    - Pork

And I've tried to fill in gaps with more fresh fruits and veggies--still an experiment, but I'm loving it!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I stopped moping around hoping life would get better. Started long walks (1+ hours), stopped drinking Cola (I now have power over it, not the other way around), same with adding sugar. Started MFP when I was unwell and unable to walk. Over 20kg down (44lb) in 26 weeks. Now life IS soooo much better. WILL power, not won't-power !!!
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Not much honestly, just eating consciously. However, I do consciously avoid (because to me it's not worth the calories):

Cakes & pastries
    Any sugared drink (I prefer to eat solid calories, not drink liquid ones)
    High-carb meals (either balanced or lean toward protein & veggies rather than the other direction)
    Creamy sauces and dressings (taste great, again, it's essentially "drinking" calories)
    Chocolate... not that I cannot eat it, but it tends to be something I eat until it's ALL gone, so....

However, I *do* still drink beer. However, I'm more of a 1-beer drinker and maybe up to 3 on a heavy day, like a special occasion, but I do consciously count the calories and lean toward lighter beer so that it has less impact on my caloric intake for the day.

13 pounds so far. It seems I'm doing the slow, but steady path, which I'm told is good.
  • seaangel082
    seaangel082 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I could never give up pizza.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not saying I never ever eat this, but for the most part I've cut out:
    -Bread of almost every kind
    -Chips, pretzels, etc.
    -Fast food
    -Muffins, cakes, pie, etc.
    -Pizza
    -Pasta
    -Cream cheese (waaaah!!!!)

I will indulge in a Coke about once a month - I never drink diet drinks - blech.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up any thing. I know from past attempts to get fit that banning things from my diet makes me resentful and binge-prone. Everything in moderation in my world, and I love it.

+1

I haven't given up anything either! I just watch my portion sizes and plan my meals to stay under my calorie goal. I decided on a very slow course of weight loss (half a pound a week) and have been able to continue eating all the normal foods I enjoy. It's worked for me - I'm down 32 pounds since April 10th. I've done better than my expected half a pound a week goal.

I still eat pepperoni pizza, cheeseburgers, french fries, cake, ice cream, candy, etc. I don't want it to sound like I'm enjoying a junk food free-for-all, but I do indulge in something every day. For example, for breakfast I might have an iced coffee and a smoothie I make with fruit and yogurt. For lunch today, I had some pulled chicken breast with spicy garlic sauce, a pretzel roll with some cheddar cheese, a tossed salad with vinaigrette and some pineapple and strawberries. Dinner will be a huge taco salad with beef taco filling, corn tortillas, salsa, sour cream and cheese on a big base of chopped romaine lettuce. I will be having dessert, too. In the end, I'll probably come out right around 2000 calories for the day.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    All sugar minus fructose which doesnt count. Gave up beer , red meat... minus the weekly bacon cheeseburger that i reward myself with.

Evdfything processed, fast food, junk food is all gone and over with.

Mayo i wont give up. Its really not that bad for you.

Damn... now im hungry
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    All sugar minus fructose which doesnt count. Gave up beer , red meat... minus the weekly bacon cheeseburger that i reward myself with.

Evdfything processed, fast food, junk food is all gone and over with.

Mayo i wont give up. Its really not that bad for you.

Damn... now im hungry
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think that a person NEEDS to give up the things they love - that being said, in my chat with a dietician recently, I told her I use butter (no margarine or fake stuff), and she was happy with that. All things in moderation.

I do not like white bread, so don't eat it.

Milk? women need calcium, and milk is a good source. So is cheese - again, in moderation.

We talked about "diet" food - sugar free and fat free - and the chemicals in them. I would rather have a LITTLE of the 'real' food than more of the chemical stuff.......so, if I want a fizzy drink, I'll have one. No fake sugars. No fake fats.

I do believe that much of our obsession with food is because we've gotten away from REAL food - unprocessed, good-for-you, healthy food! The stuff that our ancestors ate, and NEVER gained weight on (of course, they worked a lot harder than we do!)

I think what's made me fat is my love of beer, and my lack of exercise. I am remedying both of those, and have lost about 8 lbs in 6 weeks :)

OMG, we're soulmates, honey. Absolute soulmates.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    soda
    beer (not that i liked it much anyway)
    most fried things (with the exception of fried chicken... i just have to plan for it)
    trying to give up fast food altogehter

i'll think of more. but i did once hear someone say that if you don't like it, don't waste the calories... so cakes, pies, cookies, etc... if they're not FABULOUS, i'm not eating them.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    soda
    beer (not that i liked it much anyway)
    most fried things (with the exception of fried chicken... i just have to plan for it)
    trying to give up fast food altogehter

i'll think of more. but i did once hear someone say that if you don't like it, don't waste the calories... so cakes, pies, cookies, etc... if they're not FABULOUS, i'm not eating them.
    i promise you, im fabulous!! Lol
  • texancountess
    Options
    I haven't given anything up. One thing that was very important to me when I started this was that I could keep being me - just "better" than before.

So I still meet my husband at BK for lunch (he's AF and we're overseas so it's an easy place to meet up at for a quick lunch) but instead of eating a Whopper with Cheese and a medium order of fries, I eat a Jr Whopper no cheese and half an order of small fries. If I want chips? I eat chips, I just either only eat one serving or I eat a half serving depending on where I am on my calorie count for the day.

I'm a firm believer in eating a small portion of something real rather than eating a large quantity of diet or fake product. I know I'm not aiming to lose a lot of weight; but like I said it was important to me to be able to still be myself and make this a lifestyle change that I can maintain for the rest of my life.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Lots of things I eat less of but nothing I don't eat/drink any more at all.

White bread/pasta - refined carbs are bad when you have insulin resistance
    Candy, chips etc. - ditto, plus too many cals and fat and generally unhealthy
    Sugary drinks (soda, juice) - too much sugar (refined carbs) and calories
    Dairy-based ice-cream - more cals and I prefer sorbet ice cream anyway
    Most cereal - too much sugar and calories, not filling enough
    Alcohol - can potentially interact very very badly with my medication so I only drink like a glass of champagne, e.g., at a birthday party but that's it (until further notice)
    Fast food like McDonald's - never ate it much anyway, though (maybe once a month max.), and I suppose if I was craving a cheeseburger (which happens every now and then) I suppose I'd still have one
    Fatty meat - I prefer lean meat anyway so not much of a change for me, but like with fast food, when I want a bratwurst, I have one (doesn't happen often though)

But as I said, I haven't cut anything out completely. I still eat everything, just in moderation.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't given anything up. One thing that was very important to me when I started this was that I could keep being me - just "better" than before.

So I still meet my husband at BK for lunch (he's AF and we're overseas so it's an easy place to meet up at for a quick lunch) but instead of eating a Whopper with Cheese and a medium order of fries, I eat a Jr Whopper no cheese and half an order of small fries. If I want chips? I eat chips, I just either only eat one serving or I eat a half serving depending on where I am on my calorie count for the day.

I'm a firm believer in eating a small portion of something real rather than eating a large quantity of diet or fake product. I know I'm not aiming to lose a lot of weight; but like I said it was important to me to be able to still be myself and make this a lifestyle change that I can maintain for the rest of my life.

I don't mean to knock anything that works for you, but your post did strike me as amusing since BK and chips are not exactly "real" food. They're junk food just the same as processed "diet" foods are.
  • muffyjo
    Options
    While I haven't given up some of my favorities foods there are other foods I ignore.
    I still eat my favorites but in moderation and portion control!

I gave up:
    pasta- except for my Friday night pizza
    butter and condiments- except for ketchup
    most breads
    all fast food restyaurants- except for Subway
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Pizza
    Chicken Tenders
    Fries (I will have some maybe once a month)
    Ice Cream
    Fast Food Hamburgers (except Sonic Jr Burgers :wink:)
    Blizzards
    Wendy's Frostys
    Candy (I would get 2 or 3 candy bars every time I stopped at a gas station)

Geez... no wonder I got obese
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Oh I still eat eggs, milk and cheese!! They are good for you! Also nuts, yogurt, olive oil, and even the occasional potato.

I make my own pizza, from whole wheat bread flour and uncured pepperoni.

But I don't eat sugary cereals, fast food, soda, candy and junk like donuts. Basically I need more food than I can with the same calories, eating that stuff. Additionally, I won't eat anything with preservatives, artificial coloring, flavoring, sweeteners, HFCS, MSG, nitrites or bleached/enriched flour.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Still eat it all. Of course I don't gorge on them either. It's about portions and moderation for me.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell-used to eat it 2-3 times a week, I don't think I've had it in a month or two....

Mt Dew- used to cosume 64+ oz or REGULAR Dew a day, haven't had any in months!

White Bread

Ground Beef

Pizza :( only on a rare occasion.
  • kimziebaby
    kimziebaby Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    - White bread, never knew why i ate it before.. Wheat bread is much better!
    - Soda, i'll have a diet soda every once in a while though
    - McDonalds.. it disgusts me now
    - Pizza

Things i could neverr give up are: Reese cups, peter pan peanut butter, red velvet cake, chocolate cake, and so on
    (in moderation of course!)

;)