Does everyone log their food?

Options
Anyone out there that does NOT log food, just try to make better food decisions AND exercise?
If so, are you losing with this method? I find that if I work out hard I automatically make better food choices.
But I start to 'obsess' if I log....of course I want to do what is going to work for me so that I lose. I have about 60 lbs to lose!
Any suggestions??

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 without logging and 12 with logging. I like logging now because I am trying to keep an eye on my protein, since some of the weight I lost was muscle mass.
  • delcatty
    delcatty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for two weeks (on my third). I only log on weekdays, and eat "whatever I want" on the weekends. That doesn't mean I stuff my face, it means I will let myself have a donut for breakfast if I want. :p Kind of to see if I can make good choices when I don't count. I've lost 7lbs so far (with no exercising). Next week I start working out again.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i couldn't have lost any with out logging...i cheat otherwise.

getting a scale has helped me with portions (especially peanut butter...32 g is NOT a lot!)
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone doesn't log their food. For me, it works so I'll keep doing it. Over 210 days and still going strong! I also like to keep an eye of my fats and sodium. Good luck to you:):)
  • NanciKay
    NanciKay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i log EVERY THING I EAT EVERY DAY! this is, i feel, the most important tool on this site.....it keeps me focused, in control, and consciously aware of what i'm doing. :bigsmile:
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I log mine (I've lost 42 lb). The reason I came here was that my nutritionist wanted me to keep food records and recommended MFP as a good online tool for that. That said, I don't obsess about it, nor have I logged every single thing I've consumed. I try to be consistent, and I don't miss much. But it's pretty easy, because I'm going to be logging in here at least a couple of times a day anyway so I can see what's going on with my MFP buddies. That's MFP's real "hook" ... it's a social network, as much as it is anything else! :-)
  • delcatty
    delcatty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    getting a scale has helped me with portions (especially peanut butter...32 g is NOT a lot!)

It's not! After measuring food and figuring out portions, I've realized how much I used to eat, and how much I DON'T need.

For example, cheese. I love cheese. It is my downfall. Yet, 30g of shredded light cheddar has over 100 calories, and is actually almost too much when I put it on my bagel in the morning. So, I have 15g of cheese and it works!

So I would recommend a good scale and good measuring cups and spoons; you'll be using them!
  • kk0223
    kk0223 Posts: 179
    Options
    I log. I know if I don't log I will cheat. I will guesstimate my calories and I'm sure I'll go over. It helps me not eat as much, also.

If I put it in my mouth it gets logged. Sometimes I don't want to go through the hassle of logging those 3 chips. So, I don't eat them.

I've been logging on MFP for 6 days and have lost 2 lbs with no exercise.
  • Cassius2106
    Cassius2106 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Log every day and have done for the past 20 something days..... enjoying it too!! but also cos I have a new phone and like showing off... LOL
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If so, are you losing with this method? I find that if I work out hard I automatically make better food choices.

I find this works for me, but I need to log my food too to feel the full effect. If you feel logging your food isn't working for you, why not try a week or two without it, and see how you get on?
  • aim2lose
    aim2lose Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I log everything! I find that logging makes me more accountable with my choices. Logging on this site is much better than just writing down what I eat. I like to see that running total of calories, sodium, fat, etc.
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Finds i have to log, that in its self, as become an obsession. It allows me...to... see where i am, and change habits... and these are long term habits.
  • texancountess
    Options
    I log when I'm at home and can. I went on vacation about 2 weeks after starting here and didn't log, but still lost a pound while there - so the smart portion habits that I've started at home are clearly carrying with me when I go on vacation. I leave the country again next week and won't be able to log for two weeks, but I still plan on eating smart.

I recommend logging just to start realizing what appropriate portion sizes are. I was eating close to twice what I should, just because I wasn't paying attention. It was eye opening to start paying attention to the caloric content of items.
  • jpiper1921
    jpiper1921 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Why would MFP members not log their food? Why be on MFP if you didn't use the power of logging food... I'm missing something.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I log all week long, even if I end up over my calorie limit for the day. In addition I also add everything I eat, even if it is not a so wise choice. This allows me to see exactly what I am eating and holds me accountable for it.
  • allybub
    Options
    either i log or i dont the days i do log i log everything i eat and other days i dont log at all, sometimes i am just too busy, I do find the days i excersize i log and the days i dont i dont. i also get a bit obsessive about it, I usually eat mostly the same things so i know i am not over as i am doing low fat diet.
  • troop1000
    Options
    Log until you achive your goal. Then you will just need to be mindful of your maintance intake.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I log usless I am out of range of the wi-fi or internet. Not unusual for the area we spend time in (Northern MN). It keeps me honest and lets me see sodium (too high) and potasium (too low). This site makes it so easy.
  • sfergie
    Options
    Wow! I appreciate all the feedback. I KNOW I need to make a change now. I'm going to be 38 in February and I am always stressing about my weight. I'm a very outgoing person, but lately I don't know who I am. Just feeling very down. It makes me mad that I have let myself get to this point. It is very hard to get motivated. Thanks again for all the suggestions!:happy:
  • chapagonzo
    Options
    We all have our opinion about what works so take this for what it is worth. Log every single bite you put in your mouth and weigh yourself daily. It will, if you go with the odds, keep you in check. Out of sight...out of mind. I just see it as being true to myself and being accountable. Good Luck!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!