Does everyone log their food?

Options

Replies

• ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    i log everything. it makes me hold myself accountable, otherwise the temptation to cheat is always there. plus there is no shame in going over calories occasionally. last sunday we celebrated 2 birthdays and i visited my grandma that loves to cook/bake... i went over by 800+ calories and it wasn't pleasant to see but I still like knowing where i'm at.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I log everything, I have found its too easy to lose track and over binge (on the weekends or whenever) if I don't log what I am consuming. I need the crutch of logging my food. If you can make good choices and eat clean without it that is great for you!!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I even pre-logged my dinner last night because of what we were going to eat. I wanted to see ahead of time what the numbers would be if I ate that whole steak and splurged on 4 glasses of wine and ate a good bit of homemade hummus and cornbread crackers. I'm glad I did. Even with all that (The ribeye was 16 oz!), I was still under my calories for the day. A bit over on Protein, but still I knew I could eat that meal with my visiting friend and not have to worry about going waaaay off my eating. The nice thing is, once I'd eaten part of the steak, I was satisfied. Instead of shoveling the rest of it down, I ziploc-ed the leftovers and will have them another time. Saved some calories.

It was really nice to know ahead of time that I could go ahead and enjoy the meal and not be blowing my plan. Another reason I love the Food and Exercise Logs
  • svetlana_vs
    Options
    I log mine religiously and missed only 1 or 2 days within 3 months almost, only during days when my dinners included "meze" type of food in restaurants and it was practically impossible to log all.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Options
    I log everything. I'm also getting to the point where I'm pretty good at eyeballing portion sizes and know what foods work together well ect.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have been logging everything since april and continue to do so. I keeps me accountable to me and also helps teach me about calories/ portions etc. I usually plan my days meals ahead to stay on track and within my calories...but I had a few days away in Toronto... and wasn't sure what I would eat. From that experience I found I CAN choose wisely without logging and that what I have learned here I can use for life. Will I still keep logging? yup... just a good habit for me to keep.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've ever logged what I've eaten and the first time I've lost a significant amount of weight. When I started this, I realized a big part of the problem was that I really had NO idea what portion sizes actually were. What I thought was a reasonable portion size was more like 2.5 servings. I will continue to log until (and maybe even after) I reach my goal.

My mom lost 50 lbs and she never tracked anything. Just ate better and worked out. So do whatever works.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    If it goes through my digestive system I log it. Unless I eat 1 chip or 1 fry then I don't log that.

I do this because what if my weight goes up one week. I can look back at the food I ate the previous week and see if that's the culprit for weight gain. When I first started I only lost 1 lb a week. So I looked back at my diary, made some adjustments and now lose 1.5-2 lbs a week. It's a great tool and anyone would be a fool to not take advantage of it :)
  • Kambriasgranny
    Options
    I lopg everything everyday....I need to see what I am putting in my body everyday. I think we fool ourselves by thinking "I don't really eat that much"...HA!! I am amazed how much I was eating just trough snacking throughout the day. I don't sit down and eat many full meals, but I do snack and it adds up VERY fast! I want to see what I have eaten and how I can improve.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You increase the chance of cheating your self out of your goal,its not hard to log everything if you are serious & committed ,if you are to lazy to log your food you will not be able to review the types of calories eaten,if you stay under your calories but all of your calories consists of high fats ,sugar,crabs,& not enough good nutrients the you will be in healthy and probably have a very hard time losing weight,as u learn more of health & nutrition and what you should be eating( logging entries helps with this ) then you will be more qualified to just wing it and not worry so much about your entries,till the you need to stick to the rules of a diet plan! & exercise,or don't do it till you are 100% committed!! Not to be offensive its just the truth,take it from some 1 who has done it. :smile:
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Calories in calories out. Why have to guess if you're on track?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If I don't log, I work out and then think, "oh, I can have whatever I want to eat because I totally worked out." It just doesn't work for me. I have to see the numbers.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I log and I don't really have anything to lose...I want to set an example and encourage my sister-in-law. Btw she is doing great.

Also, I would rather know that not know what I'm eating, if you know what I mean. It only takes a few minutes a day to put it in MFP.

Not any more time than Facebook :)
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I usually log Taso42's food. I find he makes better choices throughout the day than I do and I feel less guilty eating pizza if I log it as something healthy that he has in his diary.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    I usually log Taso42's food. I find he makes better choices throughout the day than I do and I feel less guilty eating pizza if I log it as something healthy that he has in his diary.

And now the truth comes out....

:grumble:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I just come here for the free cocaine and hookers.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If I thought too hard about eating something, but don't eat it, I still log it for the evil thought. If you're pudgy or obese or whatever you want to call it, you have an eating disorder. You have a problem with how you relate to food, whether you believe it or not. Using a calorie counting tool like MFP is one way an individual can get a handle on life and food. The majority of people, on this site, who are slim log religiously; and the ones that are fit, but don't log, already have an idea of how it all works, so they can go without logging.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    yes, everyday since Feb 17th, when I joined MFP. I weigh and measure everything - except maybe lettuce & tomatoes, though I still log them! Its made a huge difference in my life. I figure even when I hit my goal weight I will continue logging so I don't undo all my success! 65 pounds in less than 7 months makes me a believer in logging!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight before I'd ever heard of this site. I just exercised and ate right. That's still pretty much what I do because I don't ever log anything before I eat it. Sometimes I go over what this site says I should eat, sometimes under, but I'm usually pretty close. I've been eating right and exercising so long now that I know what my body needs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!