Cardio for weight loss is a waste of time??

Options
12346»

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't have the highest opinion of trainers. I joined a gym once which came with two free PT sessions. The guy I was assigned to on my first session was totally shaved. S'ok, if he likes it, who am I to care, but it was just creepy.

No, really what made this session awful was my telling him I was on a low carb diet, similar to Atkins. He started talking about Mr. Protein and Mr. Carb and totally lost me. Really? Am I five?

For my second session, I asked for someone else. Management asked why, and I was honest. I think he kind of got in trouble. I mean, he may have meant well (those anti low carb dieters are everywhere), but his approach was lackluster. The woman I got for my second session was actually quite good. But I still don't trust personal trainers completely.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I've been having issues losing the past couple months and I can't figure out why. A friend told me that I needed to weight train (which I do, she was assuming I don't) because "cardio will do nothing for weight loss."

I immeditaley pointed out that previously, I lost 34 pounds over three months with "just cardio."

It's a ridiculous thing to say. Though weight training is a good thing to do, anyway.

And how many other variables could possibly be affecting your current plateau hun? I'm guessing a substantial number. Also, I've no doubt you lost all that weight (keyword) VIA cardio. I've lost a similar amount of fat (keyword), in the same amount of time VIA strength training.

I bet you $50 I'd have looked substantially different had I done strictly cardio for that period.
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've been having issues losing the past couple months and I can't figure out why. A friend told me that I needed to weight train (which I do, she was assuming I don't) because "cardio will do nothing for weight loss."

I immeditaley pointed out that previously, I lost 34 pounds over three months with "just cardio."

It's a ridiculous thing to say. Though weight training is a good thing to do, anyway.

And how many other variables could possibly be affecting your current plateau hun? I'm guessing a substantial number. Also, I've no doubt you lost all that weight (keyword) VIA cardio. I've lost a similar amount of fat (keyword), in the same amount of time VIA strength training.

I bet you $50 I'd have looked substantially different had I done strictly cardio for that period.
    I'm actually seriously thinking I need to see a doctor at this point. My calories and exercise are good to go and I eat very clean. I should be losing better than I am and not yo-yoing. It's frustrating.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I'm actually seriously thinking I need to see a doctor at this point. My calories and exercise are good to go and I eat very clean. I should be losing better than I am and not yo-yoing. It's frustrating.

I went through a similar thing, for six weeks straight. I was eating 100% clean, logging my calories and hitting my numbers every day...it SUCKED. I tried zig zagging, upping calories, lowering calories, changing my exercise routine completely from my bodyweight routine to P90x...NOTHING worked. I finally ended up with a very, very bad stomach virus...didn't eat for two days straight...lost initial weight via being sick...and then bam...everything started going down again. I now do intermittent fasting two to three days a week to semi replicate the effects, and it's working wonderfully. I'm never hungry, eat pretty much as I please, have stupid amounts of energy for my workouts...and all around am enjoying my health WAY more than I did when I was obsessing over every minute detail. I still keep track of things...but I think without the IF...I'd have been stuck where I was for much, much longer.

Good luck hun, and if I can help you out at all, just let me know.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've never had this problem before. I am down a few pounds, but it's about nine weeks now and only 6 pounds. For me, that's a very small number. And it's up and down week to week and my waist and hips are the same size they were. I did notice today that my upper arms are smaller, though, so maybe it's not as bad as I think.