Waste of calories

Options

Replies

• BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I haven't completely stopped anything as a matter of policy, but I've very strongly cut back soda and beer.

I think I've only had 1 non-diet soda since I started MFP last month, and that was with whisky on a free day. Not a big fan of diet sodas, so maybe 3 or 4 more total of those.

Beer is MUCH harder. As a brewer, I always have it around and I was in the habit of drinking 3 or 4 over the course of an average day. Now I'm having 3 or 4 per week and I'm including them in the calorie budget.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Snacks/smaller meals. instead of eating 3x a day with snacks or 5 or 6 smaller meals i eat bigger meals, much more satisfying for me
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Tortilla chips at Mexican food Restaurants.

Cookies

Full Fat Ice Cream

Pretty much everything from Starbuck's. If I do get something, It'll be a black coffee or an unsweet green iced tea.

Cheese

Candy Bars (except Dark Chocolate with almonds)

Hmm.... pretty much everything I used to pig out on before I changed my lifestyle :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention McCoys, as that's one of the few things i consider worth the extra calories! They're much nicer, and nibbled correctly (1 ridge at a time) they last for ages! Bacon Sizzler flavour ftw! :D
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bread with dinner - often garlic bread, not tempted by that anymore.

regular ice cream... I just look at the calories for a tiny 1/2c serving and it suddenly doesn't look so tempting. LOL I'll treat myself to frozen yogurt once in awhile, just as tasty and no guilt!

orange juice
  • kateroot
    Options
    I've completely given up certain sweets. Cupcakes, donuts, cake, etc... don't appeal to me at all anymore. I'll occasionally have a slice of cake at a wedding or something.. but for the most part I've given up sweets except ice cream, which I have a couple times a week on days when I put in a super tough workout.

ETA: Also have given up all fast food. I never ate it much anyway, but I can't even stand the smell of it anymore. Makes me nauseous.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thought of another one... the low-fat cinnamon swirl coffee cake at Starbucks. I'd have that once in awhile - it's so good! I thought I was being so virtuous because it was low fat. Then when I started here I looked up the calories, it's well over 300, I don't remember exactly, but like 360. As much as a donut. Blech. Don't have that anymore!
  • nattiepeach
    nattiepeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was about to have instant noodles for lunch today, as a treat. I thought they were about 300 calories a pack, which I could deal with, but when I read the label - 450cals!! They are totally not worth that, and are nutritionally about as valuable as cardboard. Out with them!
  • twistedsista0408
    Options
    I had chocolate for the first time this morning since June 1st!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Thought of another one... the low-fat cinnamon swirl coffee cake at Starbucks. I'd have that once in awhile - it's so good! I thought I was being so virtuous because it was low fat. Then when I started here I looked up the calories, it's well over 300, I don't remember exactly, but like 360. As much as a donut. Blech. Don't have that anymore!

i use to love those cinnamon swirls......havent had one in ages!
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I haven't had Chinese food in so long, since it's so high in calories. But I might be having some soooon!

I also no longer eat: Moz. Cheese Sticks, Wendy's (Mm, I love me some Wendy's), and a bunch of other stuff. I'm sure I'll eat it sometime but not yet!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Muffins! I used to tried and convince myself it was a healthier choice but they are just loaded with calories and carbs (the real tasty ones are). When I first started MFP I went to log in a green matcha tea muffin I had from Argo Tea.....520 calories!! Omg!! That's like a whole meal! And it wasn't even one of those huge muffins....it was like 4 or 5 bites. Not worth it!
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Milk in my coffee. Because I have a lot of milk in my coffee so I worked out it'd be like 50 calories per cup. And I'd have 3 or 4 cups per day. I realised I'd rather eat an extra 200 calories than drink it so I drink it black now. (:

Yep, I do that too. Never, ever thought I could drink my coffee black, but I like it!
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    Packaged cookies, donuts, cakes, etc. If I decided to splurge on a treat once in awhile, I try to make it something worth it to me - a piece of homemade pie, brownie, etc., not a Tastykake, oreo, or the like.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Packaged cookies, donuts, cakes, etc. If I decided to splurge on a treat once in awhile, I try to make it something worth it to me - a piece of homemade pie, brownie, etc., not a Tastykake, oreo, or the like.
    Definitely! I much prefer to make my own cookies and treats. I cut the sugar in half and they still taste better. Plus, store bought cakes aren't even good to me so instead of forcing them down at parties I just politely say no thank you now.
    The calories and fat in cheddar cheese completely bums me out and I rarely grab it for a snack anymore.
    I saw some people mention garlic bread. I've actually gotten good at making my own with very little butter so I can still enjoy it.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Fast Food.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Chips & dip.. was my favorite breakfast foods. I have also gone to green teas and have cut my diet soda down ALOT! I might drink 1-2 a day, whereas I used to drink abou 5-6..
  • Niamhnovember
    Niamhnovember Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i have cut back on sweet and all that but the big thing is i have swapped beer at the week to spirits ..... i would only have one or 2 rums at the weekend instead of 6 or 8 beers !!:noway:
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm with the PP who said eating peanut butter from the container. Guilty! It was delicious, but now I only get it every few weeks - and measured out!
    Cutting out all chips/crackers during the day, and only having a bread-y carb with dinner has saved tons of calories.
  • Nelly_J
    Options
    Soda!!! I would drink 2-3 a day!!! On top of eating fast food 3x a day!!! I'm pretty sure I was consuming well over 3000+ calories a day.