WHAT GOES THROUGH YOUR MIND????

Options

Replies

• pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself that's it's ok to hate exercise :)

Listen to your favorite music while you work out, that can help. Or do it with a friend--though I find that I work out better (i.e. burn more calories) when I work out alone.

I love walking, and that's what I do most days of the week. I only count down the minutes to the end of my work out when I'm doing my kettlebells, but I always feel glad and proud that I've done it. Once you keep at it, you'll find that you feel weird if you DON'T exercise.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    I rely heavily on a kick-*kitten* playlist to get me through my cardio sessions. Rock and Pop mostly.

This is SOOO true. I pick my songs with a certain tempo and some banging beats. I run and on the extra long runs I turn it UP!!!

I get angry and I push harder. Sometimes I do a Jillian Michaels workout video and she has a good quote in it

"If your not winded, your not working hard enough" So to me, if it's not burning or I'm not sweating I'm not doing it right. :bigsmile:
  • 65kalena
    65kalena Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have found that listening to music (my 13 year olds i pod no less!) and also breathing (count to 4 inhale and release 4 exhale) plus the harder you work the less time your in the gym! It's good to mix up your workout so it doesn't get boring.
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    "Why do people type in all caps?"

I just thought they were yelling... Lol!
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the Gym I like to listen to Daft Punk Alive 2007 album and make up stories in my head that goes with the music. At home I think "GO DAMNIT GO! Just a little bit longer. We can make it!"
  • bananamac
    bananamac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I sing the national anthem in my head. Sing it through in English, then through again in French. Repeat. I don't have to think to remember the words, so it's just the repetition that gets me into that zone state other people have mentioned.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I watch TV. I have a TV right in front of my treadmill.
    I used to do this at the beginning. Now I find I stare at a spot on the wall and "zone out". I usually "wake up" near the end of a run, etc.
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Music, is always good, and keeps me going, but more often then not.. its.. dont sing to loud, you will scare the neighbors. (work out of choice for the moment is walking) The other is, if you dont feel the burn your not doing it right. :)
  • techymum
    Options
    I have a mental list of friends in my life who have real battles and struggles. Two have fought to get healthy after bad accidents. I pick one, and think awesome thoughts about them. And I say to myself that I am just running. That's all. And it is nothing compared to what they are doing just to get healthy.
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i think of all the people that ever called me fat...all the people that told me i couldnt do it...it just kind of fuels my fire, ya know? and i get all my frustration built up and just relieve it by jogging for another few minutes. and also i always think "come on you gave birth to a child, and you cant do this workout for 20 mins?" that gives me motivation too
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that "I can do this" and I keep moving no matter how slow. Slow motion is better than no motion. Eventually my body reaches a point where I can start moving faster again and I don't feel the pain quite as intensely.

This!
  • kimberly130
    Options
    TV really seems to work if you can zone out and forget your even moving. Otherwise I take a reverse approach. wherever i feel the pain, I focus on it. I take VERY slow breaths in concentrating hard and trying to control my breathing first than i focus on the muscles that are feeling the burn and i almost "will it away". Its kind of like a meditation i guess!
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Good question and a lot of good ideas here. I've tried a few of them. Today, I actually shut my eyes (on the eliptical), and tried to regulate my breathing, kind of meditating. It was hard but worked. I went to the gym with the goal of 30 minutes on eliptical and ended up managing 45 minutes. Another thing I do if I'm working out beside a friend, I can talk or listen and the time zooms by...I check my HR periodically to make sure it's where I want it to be.
    Also, I tell myself if I wasn't working out, where would I be and what would I be doing? the answer is probably doing something that isn't going to improve my health.
  • FitHitTheShan80
    Options
    great answer! :0)
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i think of all the people that ever called me fat...all the people that told me i couldnt do it...it just kind of fuels my fire, ya know? and i get all my frustration built up and just relieve it by jogging for another few minutes. and also i always think "come on you gave birth to a child, and you cant do this workout for 20 mins?" that gives me motivation too

OMG YES! I do this as well especially halfway during insanity.
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love to dance, so I put on music that moves me and picture myself dancing to it instead of running or swimming. Sometimes I pick a favorite celebrity partner and dance with him or her to great applause. Before I know it, the song ends and I've kept going for that extra 3-5 minutes, and I start a new routine with the next song. :D
  • runningmom1977
    Options
    I was at the gym on a stationary bike today, getting to the point I wanted to quit. There was a guy on a treadmill behind me that was running along at a pretty good clip- I concentrated on the rhythm of his steps and it got me through to the end of my workout.
  • tallicedlatte
    tallicedlatte Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that I'm a strong woman, that if I could survive labor, then the workout won't kill me. :tongue:
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I imagine myself walking down the aisle in my wedding dress in 6 months. It also helps to have good music on your ipod!!
  • karyngrace
    karyngrace Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i do most of my workouts on the beach, with an ipod, so i focus on the music and use my surroundings to distract me!! I find anthing to distract me from what i'm doing will make me forget about the pain!!!!