where were you at on 9-11 ?

Options

Replies

• Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    5 grade art class, when we got back to the room the teacher put the news on and we watched until school ended....
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    I was 18 and living with my sister, who is in the Army and was stationed at Fort Carson, CO at the time. She came in from PT running and yelling like a mad woman and I had no idea what she was saying. She turned on the TV and turned it up so loud, I was SO annoyed because it was only 7am and I had no clue why she was waking me up and why I should care that some damn plane crashed into WTC. It only took a few seconds of actually watching the news for it to all sink in. We watched the 2nd plane hit and we were both just so stunned. I realized right about that time what this had to be. Only terrorists would do this. We lived at the base of Cheyenne Mountain Airforce Station, right outside Colorado Springs... most people know it as NORAD. I worried that NORAD would be a target as well, I ran out the back door, still in my pajamas and just stared at the mountain, there were planes nad helicopters EVERYWHERE, the thing looked like a beehive. So much happened all at once. But it felt like it went on for hours. My sisters husband's unit was put on lockdown immediately, he didn't even come home from PT that morning.

I remember eveyr detail of that morning, the whole day really. How I felt when I saw the 2nd plane hit, when I heard about the Pentagon, and Flight 93. I have never cried so much in one day, not before that, and not since then. It's a wound that never healed, I hope it never does. Not only for me, but for the whole country. Healing is forgetting, and forgetting is accepting. And what happened is not acceptable. What happened that day did not only happen in NYC, DC, and an open field in PA. It happened to every person, in every home, in every town across this country. It still happens... every time a soldier deploys (my husband and sister included), everytime a flag draped coffin comes home, every time a soldier misses a birth or a Christmas, or any other important life event. 9/11/01 wasn't just one day. It was a lifetime. I know what my husband is fighting for. I will never forget.
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was serving on active duty as the Navy and Marine corps liaison at Walter Reed Army Hospital in DC. I was supposed to be taking a patient on a tour of the Pentagon that day, but he was too ill to go..........I was in a meeting on psych ward when the terror started and couldn't let my family know for hours that I wasn't at the pentagon. I didn't go home for 3 days. I spent day and night helping the families of active duty and retired navy & USMC member who were hurt or missing from at the Pentagon. This event changed my reality and the world we live in. It will never be the same for me and it makes me thank my GOD every day I wake up and have my family around me. I've lost too many people to count that day and in the 2 wars that have followed. Tomorrow I will celebrate that we are still one nation, under God, we live with liberty and have justice for all. Always remember, never forget, our freedom isn't free.
  • MaryK71
    Options
    I
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was in the 5th grade but I remember that my teachers never said anything about it. I remember walking through the library and seeing a group of teachers all mesmerized by what was on the TV. But I still didn't understand until I got home from school and my dad was there.. He was never home that early. But there he was watching the news. I asked him what was wrong and he tried to explain as I watched the news footage..

I don't really remember the details about that day. I know I was scared even though I wasn't totally sure what was going on. What I do know is that it still impacts me today.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I am on the west coast and woke up late that morning (8:15am PST) so everything happened already. Turned on the news and was floored by what I was seeing. I called my mom asking her what the heck was going on, then I watched all the replays of everything that went on, cried like a baby............so sad. I still get teary eyed when watching the replays around this time of year.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It was raining that morning, I heard on the radio that a "small passenger plane" had crashed into the WTC, we turned on the tv in time to see the second plane fly into the other tower, I will never forget that sick feeling and the chill that went thru my body.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    It was my senior year. We had a two hour delay for a teacher in service. I was watching Jerry Springer when they cut in to say a plane hit the tower. I kept thinking "What idiot doesn't see that tower!!??!!" Then as I was watching Dan Rather I saw live as the second plane hit. I was instantly sick to my stomach. I remember Dan Rather saying right after it happened that we were under terrorist attack. It was something you just didn't fathom at my age. You never thought something like that would happen. I just remember hurrying up and getting ready and getting to school. When I got there I hear the Pentagon had been hit. The school was just so quiet and in horror. Students were crowding around tv's. We spent the whole day watching the horror unfold. I remember sitting in my first period class right before it started when the first tower fell. The horrified gasp from a friend of mine is seared into my memory.

Last November I was lucky enough to visit the site of Ground Zero. It is humbling. To stand in a spot where THOUSANDS of people died from such a senseless horrific act shakes you to your core.

9/11/01 changed so much of what the world and my future would be like. I teach kids now that were 4-6 when it happened and its sad how much of an impact this day has on them than me. They barely remember and they just don't get it. They know its a sad important day in history but because they didn't see it happen, they didn't watch the events unfold, the magnitude is really lost on them. When visiting Ground Zero with these kids you can just see the difference in the years. All the people my age and older just stood there in silent aww. We were moved to tears. The kids came, saw, took a pic or two, then walked away loud and laughing. In a way they are almost lucky they didn't experience it. They can watch the footage without crying. As for the rest of us, its burned into our memories and hearts forever.
  • kittybitz79
    Options
    It was my second week working at directory assistance for the phone company. I watched the crash on TV and I remember calling my family just to check on them. Then I got a call from work asking me to come in early because they needed everyone there. I thought it was strange that we would be so busy til I got there. At every desk was a list of numbers for people to call that needed assistance because family/friends could be on the flights, WTC or at the pentagon. It was surreal the rest of the day, taking calls for people's numbers around NYC and having to give out that list of numbers.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I was working as a receiving clerk when the news came out on the radio. I couldn't believe it. My prayers are with victims families and friends.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was serving on active duty as the Navy and Marine corps liaison at Walter Reed Army Hospital in DC. I was supposed to be taking a patient on a tour of the Pentagon that day, but he was too ill to go..........I was in a meeting on psych ward when the terror started and couldn't let my family know for hours that I wasn't at the pentagon. I didn't go home for 3 days. I spent day and night helping the families of active duty and retired navy & USMC member who were hurt or missing from at the Pentagon. This event changed my reality and the world we live in. It will never be the same for me and it makes me thank my GOD every day I wake up and have my family around me. I've lost too many people to count that day and in the 2 wars that have followed. Tomorrow I will celebrate that we are still one nation, under God, we live with liberty and have justice for all. Always remember, never forget, our freedom isn't free.

Thank You :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was 18 and living with my sister, who is in the Army and was stationed at Fort Carson, CO at the time. She came in from PT running and yelling like a mad woman and I had no idea what she was saying. She turned on the TV and turned it up so loud, I was SO annoyed because it was only 7am and I had no clue why she was waking me up and why I should care that some damn plane crashed into WTC. It only took a few seconds of actually watching the news for it to all sink in. We watched the 2nd plane hit and we were both just so stunned. I realized right about that time what this had to be. Only terrorists would do this. We lived at the base of Cheyenne Mountain Airforce Station, right outside Colorado Springs... most people know it as NORAD. I worried that NORAD would be a target as well, I ran out the back door, still in my pajamas and just stared at the mountain, there were planes nad helicopters EVERYWHERE, the thing looked like a beehive. So much happened all at once. But it felt like it went on for hours. My sisters husband's unit was put on lockdown immediately, he didn't even come home from PT that morning.

I remember eveyr detail of that morning, the whole day really. How I felt when I saw the 2nd plane hit, when I heard about the Pentagon, and Flight 93. I have never cried so much in one day, not before that, and not since then. It's a wound that never healed, I hope it never does. Not only for me, but for the whole country. Healing is forgetting, and forgetting is accepting. And what happened is not acceptable. What happened that day did not only happen in NYC, DC, and an open field in PA. It happened to every person, in every home, in every town across this country. It still happens... every time a soldier deploys (my husband and sister included), everytime a flag draped coffin comes home, every time a soldier misses a birth or a Christmas, or any other important life event. 9/11/01 wasn't just one day. It was a lifetime. I know what my husband is fighting for. I will never forget.

Amen
  • PlumLovin
    Options
    I had just gone back to work after maternity leave and was dropping my boys off at my mom's house & she told me. I stayed there a little while & watched it in horror. I cried the entire way to work while listening to the coverage on the radio. I got to work & turned in my notice. I have been a stay at home mom since then & don't regret a day of it, no matter how hard it has been at times. I can honestly say that day changed my life b/c up until then I was a woman that loved her job, clothes & status and now I am simply a mom that loves her boys & husband and try to live everyday showing them my love.

My heart goes out to everyone that lost a loved one that day, I cannot imagine how you felt then and how you feel ten years later. I pray God gives you strength and comfort today and everyday forward.
    God Bless America!!
  • goodridges
    goodridges Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had just picked my daughter and friend up from school. When we dropped her classmate off, her mother told me that a plane had flown into the trade building in New York. I came home & put the TV on straight away.I couldn't believe what was happening but thought it was just an accident. It was while watching the live news report that I watched the second plane hit the other tower. I then knew this was an act of terrorism. I can't tell you the feeling of horror and despair I experienced as I watched the news coverage for the rest of the evening, as the towers fell- how did we know this would happen like this- as people could not possibly be rescued. Being a nurse, I felt I needed to be there to help out in these circumstances but living in the UK this was obviously impossible. God Bless all those brave men & women who worked relentlessly to save others without thinking of themselves.And God Bless and comfort those who lost their lives and their families in this appalling act of hate. I hope our children will live in a safer and more loving world in the future.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were driving in separate cars to bring my car in for service. Being in the tri-state region, I had the NY radio station and initially they reported a small plane hit the first tower. I remember meeting my husband at the service desk, saying "Hey, did you hear some crackpot flying a plane ran into the World Trade Center?" We had no idea it was a terrorist attack at that time. My husband and I drove home together and watched the entire event unfold on television. We were in shock. My daughter was in first grade at the time and I admit I drove to the school and sat in the parking lot to make sure all was ok. What a crazy thing to do, right? We had so many locally who were killed or related to those killed. It was such a tragic day and at this morning's mass at church we had a moment of silence and sang God Bless America and I still can't get through it with a dry eye after 10 years.

My sincerest thoughts and prayers for all those killed and injured during that tragic day and sincerest thanks to those who have fought to keep our freedoms.
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    I was in 6th grade in my math class, my teacher was checking her email and I guess saw it on a news site... She ran off to tell everyone else and then they brought a TV in so we could watch the news. I'm glad they didn't try to cover it up, I guess they realized how important it'd be for us to know what was going on. The town I was living in had an airport less than a mile away from the school and I remember it being so quiet when all of the airplanes stopped flying.
  • RockHardAngel_777
    Options
    I was goin to start a similar post. :) So I will just answer here.

I was in my first appartment all by myself not even realizin what was really goin on and scared to death. All I could think about is how much I wanted my Mommy. I felt so empty and couldn't believe what I was seeing on the television. It was like watchin a scarry movie where aliens take over and everyone is in a panic, but instead of world wide frantic and screaming, everything was silent.....

God bless those who have been touched in some way by the acts that took place on September 11th. I believe while so much negative and animosity may be goin on in the world, today is a day that everyone joins together in the same prayer. Lets hold hands and remember the day the world stopped turning.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I was a senior in high school....we watched the second plan hit live on a TV in the teachers lounge. Our school was closed a couple hours later and we were all sent home....
  • Brandi_Lee
    Options
    Grade 10 English class, then when I found out what was happening I left school. I walked over to pick up my younger brothers and sister from school and took them all home. My only thought was if something was going to happen her in Canada I was going to make sure we were all together, my parents arrived home shortly after us.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    Well ---- I was living in Hawaii. It was about 4 or 5am in the morning. I was laying in bed getting high off of meth. This is back when I was heavily addicted I'm 9 years clean today :) I was watching the Today show and saw the 2nd plane crash into the tower. It was incredibly insane!