Options

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    man bites dog
  • lotusblossomctf
    Options
    Hamshire "A Ghost Story" was really well done (the ending not so much, but after all the paranormal stuff we saw, the effects were really well done). Lake Mungo really got to us. You have to give it time, the build up is fantastic. Master's of Horror episodes "Cigarette Burns" was great and "Family Man" were really good. We watch LOTS of horror movies.
  • lanaholt
    Options
    Trekkies the documentary. Too much like real life. =]
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree but when I saw the Exorcist I was really young and I think that's why it scared me so bad.

I thought the same thing so I watched it again as an adult (probably around 25ish). That's still some scary ****. Couldn't watch it all the way through.
  • sparetirebegone
    sparetirebegone Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Definately the classics.....IT and The Shining freaked me out!! I am a HUGE horror film fan but sadly, nothing in the last 10 years has even come close to be scary!!!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Altered States and Body Parts

Just saw the new Fright Night, this past weekend. Was great!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    "Too Big to Fail"

If this isn't TRUE LIFE scary to you, then get ready for your kids and grandkids to be in huge debt.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Another thing that bothered me for years was an episode of X-Files, where some hillbillies had their mother (who had no legs) stashed on a wheely-board kind of thing under a bed. I was an adult when I saw it and I still spent years taking a flying leap to the bed after turning out the lights. :noway:

Oh WOW, I remember this episode! So freakin' weird!!
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cannibal Holocaust and Antichrist are the most shocking, out of the ordinary horror films I can think of... Cannibal Holocaust has a bad rep, because all the animal violence on film is real.. but Antichrist has a mix of psychological horror and outright revulsion.. I'd be interested to know what u think if u watch them.
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    I would have to say most horror movies dont scare me , but i love the original exorcist just some parts still startal me even though ive seen it so many times, and stephen kings IT is still freaky i think that was one of his most freaky movies i watched it growing up several times......love love love scary movies!!!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I think it was called Witchboard and was from the 80's. They 'awaken' something with a Ouija board - scary bad :o(

Another thing that bothered me for years was an episode of X-Files, where some hillbillies had their mother (who had no legs) stashed on a wheely-board kind of thing under a bed. I was an adult when I saw it and I still spent years taking a flying leap to the bed after turning out the lights. :noway:

Ah, crap, thanks a lot - I'm on my way to bed... :sad:

Holy Crap, that episode freaked me the hell out too!!! Definite poster child for kissing cousins!

I remember Witchboard...didn't leave a lasting impression, but I remember watching it with my best friend at the time.
  • k2quiere
    Options
    Well it's official "Stephen King's IT" has been voted best to traumatize kids with :devil:

I was so underwhelmed with "IT". I read the book when it first came out and was so excited for the movie. I found the end to be a total letdown! Now Pet Semetary and Salem's Lot...those were GREAT Stephen King books-to-movies!
  • k2quiere
    Options
    The scariest movie for me was Children of the Corn...I was so traumatized as a child watching it, especially when the whole ground rolls as the evil comes, that I still have an irrational fear (as an adult) of earthquakes. I also cringe when someone talks about anyone with the name Malachi.

I love horror, shock, gore, all of it!!! October is my favorite month of the year because haunted houses are open!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I used to love reading horror comics and books so was thrilled when I was allowed to watch Halloween.....my first and last horror film, i decided that i was not going to scare the bejeezus outta myself ever again voluntarily!!!

I was only 12 but i've stuck to it...I have never seen any of the films mentioned here
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    The Strangers with Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman. Literally, till this day, even me being 23, I covered my eyes watching 90% of the movie it was so scary- esp since it was based on a true story. I will never be able to watch it again! (Be careful with your nightmares, no lie, ha!)

Agreed! The Strangers is by far the scariest movie I have ever watched. Although I'll admit I have watched it a couple times but I do still cover my eyes during a lot of it and only watch it during daylight hours :smile: I watch a lot of horror, scary, paranormal, etc movies too and this one just freaks me to eff out.

I find most of the movies that have the (how best to describe?) rickity moving ghost characters with hair in their faces, The Ring or The Grudge for example, to be pretty freaky. There's something about the way they move around that's just creepy even if the rest of the movie isn't that scary.

Saw a preview for Paranormal Activity 3 in the theater last weekend, the scene they showed was pretty dang freaky, looks like it could be a good one.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I'm not a great one for horror films, as I'm the bigges wuss on the planet, but oddly I really like horror books - have read just abut everything Stephen King ever wrote. With his films, I've got about 5 minutes into Pet Sematary and only managed about half of Salem's Lot. Have seen The Mist (OK) and IT - got to say I thought IT was totally PANTS and the book is far scarier!

I hate even watching adverts for horror films! Don't mind sci-fi horror or comedy horror - I'm a huge fan of the original Fright Night and am looking forward to seeing the new one.
  • jsiler181
    Options
    My annual Halloween marathon includes (but is not limited to) the following:

Halloween - (John Carpenter's classic, not Rob Zombie's dreck)
    Halloween 2
    The Omen (again, the original, not the remake with Liev Schreiber)
    The Exorcist
    Suspiria
    Wrong Turn
    Pet Cemetary
    My Bloody Valentine 3D (I can't help it-I love Jensen Ackles)
    The Blob (original terrified me when I saw it in day care)
    Psycho
    The Birds
    The Orphanage (Guillermo Del Toro produced this and it's one of the best, spookiest films I've ever seen)
    The Others
    28 Days Later
    Dawn of the Dead (remake)
    Open Water (I'm terrified of sharks and this just cemented that fear)

And, not a movie, but an amazing episode of television. "Hush" in Buffy the Vampire Slayer's 4th season is an incredible mix of comedy, horror, pathos...and almost entirely silent. The Gentlemen are some of the creepiest characters ever brought to life-nig or small screen.
  • aalanclose
    aalanclose Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The Changling with George C. Scott :frown:

100% agree. a good ghost story beats all the gore and guts films by a mile. my spine went in to tingle over drive when that ball came bouncing down the stairs.

Loved lady in white and the original version of the Eye was amazing
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm really into horror so nothing really scares me much, although the new Red Riding Hood was pretty good,
  • aalanclose
    aalanclose Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Dark Water (Japanese version, the American one is good but way less scary)

I'm not sure what it is about asian horror but it is so much more effective than the standard western fare