Does Excersizing in 'Excersize' Clothes help?

Options
13»

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If you really plan to workout and sweat...why would you want to do that in your 'street clothes'?
    Seems gross to me!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    For me it's about comfort. I don't like working out in pants, therefore I workout in shorts. I sweat a lot so I usually try to avoid regular t-shirts and instead opt for tank tops or sleeveless T's. Beyond that as long as they're clothes you can move freely in and they don't add significant weight (i.e. jeans), then you should be fine wearing whatever you'd like to the gym.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    It comes down to comfort basically. If you're fine exercising in a 3 piece suit, then that's fine. If you require an exotic leopard print leotard to feel right, that is fine too.

Taso prefers the latter of the two.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It comes down to comfort basically. If you're fine exercising in a 3 piece suit, then that's fine. If you require an exotic leopard print leotard to feel right, that is fine too.

Taso prefers the latter of the two.

I really gotta start closing the blinds before I work out.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There is no way I would cycle without padded shorts. And if I'm doing more than 10 miles, I need a cycling jersey: it blocks UVA/UVB, wicks away sweat, and has elastic pockets to hold my keys/phone/food/small bottle of gatorade. Cycling without these things is uncomfortable and limiting.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I go to the gym to exercise, and really don't care what others think of what I wear. Too old to care, too young to stop doing what I want to do.

T-shirt, no holes, basketball or other longer type shorts, good shoes. Shorts were eight bucks. T-shirts were $7 and I have a dozen of them, and the shoes were $150, on sale for $50. I'm not cheap, I just won't buy stuff that doesn't matter to me. Suits for work, proper dress for other occasions, but the gym isn't a high fashion item for me.

I love the LuluLemon girls who spend more on their outfits than my membership cost for the year, but I am there to sweat, burn calories and go home.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I don't have workout clothes, and I still do all right. That being said, it has been proven that what you wear has an impact on your attitude. People who work from home making phone calls are encouraged to get dressed to the shoes every day, even though they're not reporting to an office, because being dressed in a professional manner leads to a more professional and productive attitude. So it would stand to reason that wearing workout clothes would help get you in the right frame of mind. :)
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the placebo effect!

However, that being said-for me personally, workout clothes help a lot. Only because when you find the right ones, the shorts don't fall off or ride up, the bras don't get stretchy and unsupporting, the shirts don't get in the way when you stretch or move...aaaaahhhh. My favority-favorites are champion brand sports bras (but i am queen of the itty bitty titty comittee) and Nike Combat Pro shorts.

Plus, it puts me in the mindset that ," Well, now i'm dressed for it, might as well do it!" (FYI, i am also like this when i put on eyeliner and high heels-someone better take me to dinner.)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    IMO yes. The correct clothes make it more tolerable to heat, cold or even movement. Try squatting in jeans. Or wearing sweats that don't wick off moisture. Or shorts that don't protect your inner thighs right and you end up getting a rash on your upper legs from them rubbing together.
    I say a good set of work out clothing encourages a better workout.

This from the man who was reported for teaching a class and making an old lady have impure thoughts about him. <---TEASING!! :laugh:
    Wear what you want to wear, whatever fits the activity. I prefer old red long johns with blue briefs on top and a towel around my neck like a cape. I feel like I'm Superman when I ride my bike. It really is freeing. That and people tend to leave me alone too.
    But... didn't Superman wear a blue outfit with red briefs? That would be Bizarro.

Anyway, I don't think the clothes matter as far as getting more out of your workout. But they are a great motivator. Once I'm wearing them, there's no turning back. My exercise clothes are not fancy. I usually wear mid-thigh length short or yoga pants and a sports bra and tight fitting band t-shirt. None of it is constrictive and it's very comfortable.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I know that if I am reluctant or dragging my feet I will always go change into my exercise clothes and that always pushes me. I won't necessarily exercise right away but I will at some point because I put those on those clothes.

Everytime I have tried to exercise in the past I always went for the baggy t-shirts to try to hide everything. This time I have found that I am much more comfortable when I work out in form fitting proper exercise clothes rather than baggy cotton t-shirts. I have more freedom of movement and the fabric keeps me more comfortable. Besides, no one really is paying any attention to what I look like when I work out so I don't need to wear a baggy shirt to hide myself. I personally like the Danskin line at Walmart. Nice clothes but inexpensive. That's my primary focus right now cause I have to buy new things every few weeks.