Shakeology

Options

Replies

• channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Kind of pet peeve, but don't assume people spend $4 a day at Starbucks. I certainly don't because it's not in my budget. I think Shakeology is a good product and there are enough people that stand by it, but it's not something I can afford, and I just can't stand presumptions like that. And being on a budget, I can make meals for myself that is less than $4 per meal, and often do.

Hmmm.. ok well get a good sleep tonight. Perhaps you'll wake up on the other side of the bed tomorrow...
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Apparently there is a new tropical fruit flavored shakeology. Has anyone tried it yet? And I agree it 's worth the price if you sit down and do the math, a lot of time people just don't have that extra $122/mo. to spend on it, so I can see both sides. personally, it worked for me, and it doesn't taste terrible, I'm a fan.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    my only issues after looking at the product label would be for the price i would question why they don't use a blend or micellar casein instead of whey, why they chose cheap forms of vitamins particularly B12 (usually one of the most expensive vitamins) and they underdose some of their antioxidents.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    1 - Too expensive for me. I shop at GNC and like their products
    2 - People talk about it like it's a drug, they have withdraws when they are out and that scares the hell out of me. I'm not going to take a product that is like a drug to people.

Try GNC Lean, I also don't mind Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey. I get more bang for my $40 for a 30 day supply.
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Ok I guess it isn't available for purchase yet, but on the facebook page '3 Day Shakeology Cleanse' it shows a picture of it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I can take Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Chocolate, add a little ice, a little skim milk and a banana to do just as well. Here's the main difference:

Cost per shake- Shakeology $3-$4 per shake ON- .67 cents per shake.

No brainer.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    this is just my opinion but you can do better for less money.

This. I buy whey protein powder at $16 for a 24 day supply. I can blend it with fresh fruits, milk, or water to make a great tasting shake for cheap. I often drink it just plain with water because I love the taste.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I use it every day as well. The chocolate that is. I actually prefer the greenberry one as it tastes like oatmeal in my opinion. It's so easy to throw a single scoop in the shaker cup and take to the office. Many think this is expensive at $122 for a 30 day bag but do the math. It's like $4 a meal. That's not expensive at all. Salads cost more than that. Also, it fills me up perfectly until lunch. It's only 140 and 150 cals depending on which you get. While other meal replacement shakes can probably accomplish the same, I have to admit I don't want to take a chance because $4 a meal is perfectly fine with me. Most of you probably spend more on a cup of joe at Starbucks. I am not a coach and have no reason to endorse this for personal gain, but I did my homework and really researched it before purchasing and I'm a big fan. I can't wait until the tropical one comes out.
    Sorry but I don't consider 150 calories a meal. A snack maybe. Like all "meal replacements" they are low on calories and that's why you lose weight. But if you were to just use meal replacements as meals for life, that's expensive. For $122 I can get a cart full of food.
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    To be fair it's 150 calories of you only add water to it. Add a couple of tablespoons of peanutbutter and the calroes and protein go up, add milk, or soy milk etc and then you add more. It's a good way to get a quick 200-300+calorie meal, especially at breakfast or on the go, or to boost caloric intake after the gym-especially when eating 4-6 times a day.
  • Acg67
    Options
    To be fair it's 150 calories of you only add water to it. Add a couple of tablespoons of peanutbutter and the calroes and protein go up, add milk, or soy milk etc and then you add more. It's a good way to get a quick 200-300+calorie meal, especially at breakfast or on the go, or to boost caloric intake after the gym-especially when eating 4-6 times a day.

yeah but other protein brands have more protein per scoop and much cheaper and you can add the same things. and no need to eat 4-6 times a day unless it's a personal preference, increased meal frequency =/= increased weight loss
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Nitrocore 24 is 200 calories per serving with just water. And again the cost difference is huge:

Nitrocore 24 (bodybuilding.com) .93 cents per shake for 3lb container
    Shakeology-$3-$4 per shake

Again no brainer
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Shakeology isn't meant to be a protein shake though, it's simply a nutritious way to decrease caloric intake and still get the daily nutrients needed. Comparing it to a protein shake is like comparing apples and oranges. And yes I know that calories burned need to ultimately outnumber calories in to see weightloss.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Shakeology isn't meant to be a protein shake though, it's simply a nutritious way to decrease caloric intake and still get the daily nutrients needed. Comparing it to a protein shake is like comparing apples and oranges. And yes I know that calories burned need to ultimately outnumber calories in to see weightloss.

if you look at my prior post, shakeology contains cheap forms of vitamins that are not as absorbable as better forms, and the anti oxidents are underdosed, like the green tea extract is only 50mg
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    And it all just comes down to personal opinion.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I use it every day as well. The chocolate that is. I actually prefer the greenberry one as it tastes like oatmeal in my opinion. It's so easy to throw a single scoop in the shaker cup and take to the office. Many think this is expensive at $122 for a 30 day bag but do the math. It's like $4 a meal. That's not expensive at all. Salads cost more than that. Also, it fills me up perfectly until lunch. It's only 140 and 150 cals depending on which you get. While other meal replacement shakes can probably accomplish the same, I have to admit I don't want to take a chance because $4 a meal is perfectly fine with me. Most of you probably spend more on a cup of joe at Starbucks. I am not a coach and have no reason to endorse this for personal gain, but I did my homework and really researched it before purchasing and I'm a big fan. I can't wait until the tropical one comes out.
    Sorry but I don't consider 150 calories a meal. A snack maybe. Like all "meal replacements" they are low on calories and that's why you lose weight. But if you were to just use meal replacements as meals for life, that's expensive. For $122 I can get a cart full of food.

Yes but that full cart of food won't last you very long. I went to the store the other day.. I bought Greek Yogurt, Skim Milk, Cottage Cheese, lb of banana's, 2 boxes of cereal, apples, chicken and maybe 2 or 3 other small things. My bill was almost $50!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Apparently there is a new tropical fruit flavored shakeology. Has anyone tried it yet? And I agree it 's worth the price if you sit down and do the math, a lot of time people just don't have that extra $122/mo. to spend on it, so I can see both sides. personally, it worked for me, and it doesn't taste terrible, I'm a fan.

Tropical is not available yet.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

It will be awhile yet :mad:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    But Nitrocore isn't just a protein shake. And supplies quality ingredients (Optimum Nutrition is one of the few companies that manufactures all it's products from raw material in the US and doesn't buy from China) for vitamins and minerals and essentials.

Let's talk for real here: Shakeology is expensive because of one reason.........it's an MLM. And if anyone knows anything about MLM's prices are expensive so that the person selling it, their upline, and their upline and their upline and the company owners can make big money.
  • ejohndrow
    Options

I know. I posted that right after.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yes but that full cart of food won't last you very long. I went to the store the other day.. I bought Greek Yogurt, Skim Milk, Cottage Cheese, lb of banana's, 2 boxes of cereal, apples, chicken and maybe 2 or 3 other small things. My bill was almost $50!
    Dude you must shop only organic then. $122 would pay for at 3 meals a day plus snacks for me and my family for a week! That's meat for 6 days, milk for my daughter, veggies and fruits, breads and cereals and even a box of snacks. Methinks you could do better at shopping.