Does you find it "hard" to eat your daily calories?

124»

Replies

• teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    LOL, when I'm exercising alot, I have my coffee with a donut as a morning break. Hey, I gotta learn to work it in because not ever having a donut again is just a set-up for failure for me.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    yep, drink your face off! if you can't eat your calories, drink 'em. I know when I'm weight training I have that problem, so I'll throw some almond milk in my protein shake instead of just water. But lately I haven't been having that problem lol
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    I was eating 1200 calories a day once I was diagnosed with diabetes, all low fat, no sugar and was always struggling to eat my calories as you can only eat so many cups of greens; then I got in to see the nutritionist. The first thing she had me do was stop all the low fat foods as they swap out fat for sugars and salt. The second thing she did was tell me to eat at minimum 1550 calories a day, swap out anything white for whole grains and eat more protein/fat and get my carbs from veggies and whole grains. I eat no processed foods at all, enjoy a glass of wine with dinner a few times a month and eat 3 small squares of 72% dark chocolate a week; I simply plan them with my calories. She advised protein shakes on my workout days. I've followed her advice and have lost 30 pounds and come off of 1 prescription for the diabetes in the last 3 months. My goal by the time I go back to the doctor is to have him take me off all my meds because I will no longer be classified as diabetic!

That is awesome! Congrats! I wish I could get my dad to change his ways to reverse his diabetes.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    I can easily kill 1,000 kcal of healthy food in one meal. I don't understand how people can't eat 1,200-1,500kcal/day
  • Through the week I do have to find ways to get in more calories. I have been trying to stay away from the doritos to fill that in. So instead, I opt to drink my calories. :) I'll have wine, margarita, or dr. pepper.

But as someone else mentioned, nuts are high in calories therefore a good filler.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    honestly it baffles me that people on a diet struggle to get their cals in, usually the problem is over eating, not under eating.

Yup, me too. It's like a bizarre way of boasting for some, I think.
    Does that make anorexia the ultimate form of bragging?

People struggle with diets in LOTS of different ways. I find it almost impossible to hit 3500ish calories while keeping my fat below 25%. I'm not bragging, I'm doing the same thing as everyone else, trying to find a balance that works for me.

Most anorexics try to hide it, not go round telling everyone how little they eat. It's usually only larger people who do that.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    I know I do! Especially when I do alot of exercise. I find myself well under my goal to the point sometimes I fear I am doing some damage. The thing is I eat. ALOT. Like every 3-4 hrs from wake up to near bedtime. But I eat healthy. Guess I'll drink more shakes and add milk rather than Diet V8 and eat more whole wheat PB & SFJ's. Haha

Just curious what others do to get their daily minimum nutrition in when they are low!

Can't you just eat exactly the same stuff as you eat now, with the same frequency, only increase portion size? Seems pretty simple to me, but then I am STARVING all the time, so the thought of larger portions makes me happy.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I'm not even going to get into this argument.

You can find studies to prove anything you want. Do whatever makes you happy and whatever works for you

LOL.

YOU started the whole thing. YOU. Not me. Not the OP. YOU.

I love that you are cool with coming in, saying it and then when someone says something to contradict you -- you decide you are done talking about it.

I am not basing my choice to eat every few hours off a STUDY - I am basing it off how *I* personally feel when I eat every few hours. Not a study. Not someone else saying it is true or not true.

My own personal experience - which is far more important to me than an article or someone on a website telling me otherwise.
  • I just don't believe you should eat if you are really not hungry. Messes with your appestat. Like thirst, it tells you when you need food. I find I go one day higher and the next day lower in calories. Just listen to your body unless it says "Eat the whole pizza!"
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    I do this almost every day. I'm confused on the whole factor. I'm eating healthy and about 5-6 times a day. I'm not hungry and I am already making myself eat at least 2 of the 5 times a day. I figured if my body thought it was starving it would tell me, and sometimes it does. I've worried about whether or not I'm doing damage but I'm losing the weight steadily. I guess the main questions is, DO YOU HAVE TO REACH YOUR GOAL?

Why are you eating 6 meals a day?

Is this because of the whole "it boosts your metabolism" myth?

no not at all. I'm eating more like 3 meals and two or three snacks a day. It keeps me from thinking I'M STARVING and then over eating when I get to eat. I've read all the "you should eat this many times" and I know that as long as I consume the same amount of calories it doesn't matter when or how often. It just keeps my eyes from getting bigger than my stomach.
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Days I exercise are not so good, the days I don't though are hard to stay under.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    LOL.

YOU started the whole thing. YOU. Not me. Not the OP. YOU.

I love that you are cool with coming in, saying it and then when someone says something to contradict you -- you decide you are done talking about it.

I am not basing my choice to eat every few hours off a STUDY - I am basing it off how *I* personally feel when I eat every few hours. Not a study. Not someone else saying it is true or not true.

My own personal experience - which is far more important to me than an article or someone on a website telling me otherwise.

I asked a question. PS.....I'm ignoring you from now on.

Back to the original post
    no not at all. I'm eating more like 3 meals and two or three snacks a day. It keeps me from thinking I'M STARVING and then over eating when I get to eat. I've read all the "you should eat this many times" and I know that as long as I consume the same amount of calories it doesn't matter when or how often. It just keeps my eyes from getting bigger than my stomach.

Staving off hunger is a decent enough reason to snack. If it works for you, then keep on doing it.

As long as you're not doing it because some website (which posted up information based on scientific evidence) told you to.......that would be horrible <====sarcasm.

In any case i'm glad you've actually done a little research into how you eat affects your life and health as much as WHAT you eat. All I want is for people to make INFORMED decisions. Not just do things because they heard or read something somewhere and took it as the absolute truth.
This discussion has been closed.