What's the worst nutrition or fitness myth you've heard?

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    My favorites among others:
    You can eat whatever you want as long as you're within youre calories. I knew somebody that claimed she could lose weight on a cake diet.

actually you can eat what you want as long you're within your calories for weight loss. I see no reason why a cake diet couldn't work, i'd prob throw in some protein shakes to get the required amount, but you could lose weight eating tons of cake

I don't know who you are, but I might love you.

I'm going to go buy some cake!

I was losing weight while eating 2 slices of cheesecake a day. As long as you're in a calorie deficit at the end of the day, you can have your cake and eat it too.

If you lost weight eating nothing but cake it would likely be muscle. Eating nothing but cake would keep your insulin ridiculously high and you're not going to be burning much fat that way.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

If you lost weight eating nothing but cake it would likely be muscle. Eating nothing but cake would keep your insulin ridiculously high and you're not going to be burning much fat that way.

if you were in a caloric deficit and you were just eating cake, it isn't a matter of if, you'd lose weight. And i also said that i'd prob through in some protein shakes to get an adequate amount of protein if you wanted to go on an mostly cake diet

and insulin = not evil, you do know that protein is highly insulingenic as well, right?
  • JNick77
    Options

if you were in a caloric deficit and you were just eating cake, it isn't a matter of if, you'd lose weight. And i also said that i'd prob through in some protein shakes to get an adequate amount of protein if you wanted to go on an mostly cake diet

and insulin = not evil, you do know that protein is highly insulingenic as well, right?

Did I say insulin is evil anywhere in my comment??? Insulin has great benefits but you can't have it elevated all the time. I truly want to see somebody that needs say 1,500 calories a day eat nothing BUT cake 7 days a week and see what happens.
  • Acg67
    Options

Did I say insulin is evil anywhere in my comment??? Insulin has great benefits but you can't have it elevated all the time. I truly want to see somebody that needs say 1,500 calories a day eat nothing BUT cake 7 days a week and see what happens.

if 1500 cals was a deficit for the person they'd lose weight, where would they get the energy from if they burned more then 1500?
  • JNick77
    Options

if 1500 cals was a deficit for the person they'd lose weight, where would they get the energy from if they burned more then 1500?

It's not just about calories in/out, your hormones play a big part in weight loss. No doubt they would lose weight, but is it the right wait would be a great question.
  • Acg67
    Options

It's not just about calories in/out, your hormones play a big part in weight loss. No doubt they would lose weight, but is it the right wait would be a great question.

so if you agree they'd lose weight, then this statement is silly " I knew somebody that claimed she could lose weight on a cake diet." since we both know that you could lose weight on a cake diet
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options

Other than the fact I would get sick and tired for eating cake after a day or two if that was ALL I ate, I am pretty sure it would still not all be muscle coming off. It would still be a combination of the two and if you did heavy strength training during that week, even more muscle would be spared. Your body would just recycle the protein is breaks down like it always does and use the protein in the cake (even though percentage wise it is a small amount but both wheat and eggs have protein in them) to spare muscle. I love cake, but would not want to have only cake. Yet, the point is you can eat your cake within your calorie budget and still lose weight. Even a piece a day.
  • neil3125
    neil3125 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    "have vodka and orange if you want a drink. Your body doesn't know whether to recognise the orange as food or drink so the calories aren't absorbed" :noway:

Really??? I am so upset I have never heard this before, my liquid diet starts now :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Warning: if you go on a juice fast with screwdrivers you are going to stay hammered. this is not a myth. you will be drunk.
  • JNick77
    Options

Other than the fact I would get sick and tired for eating cake after a day or two if that was ALL I ate, I am pretty sure it would still not all be muscle coming off. It would still be a combination of the two and if you did heavy strength training during that week, even more muscle would be spared. Your body would just recycle the protein is breaks down like it always does and use the protein in the cake (even though percentage wise it is a small amount but both wheat and eggs have protein in them) to spare muscle. I love cake, but would not want to have only cake. Yet, the point is you can eat your cake within your calorie budget and still lose weight. Even a piece a day.

K
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Yes hormones play a major role in weight gain and loss. But my point was that if I'm eating at a deficit, I can still eat cheesecake, cupcakes, etc. and still lose fat, of course some will be muscle also, but if I'm only at a 200-300 kcal deficit and still strength training and getting adequate protein, most of the weight loss will be fat loss.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Drinking alcoholic beverages through a straw gets you drunk faster.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want as long as you're within youre calories. I knew somebody that claimed she could lose weight on a cake diet.

actually you can eat what you want as long you're within your calories for weight loss. I see no reason why a cake diet couldn't work, i'd prob throw in some protein shakes to get the required amount, but you could lose weight eating tons of cake

Hell - I'll bake him a cake and feed it to him!!!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    "Can someone provide me with the list of magical mystery foods that burn fat?"

It's a short list.....tapeworms.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    "Fat makes you fat, fat makes you fat, fat makes you fat" ....That old Susan Powter chant of the 80's. I eliminated all fat and carbed my way up 20 pounds. Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Love me too lol, I look like this after almost three months straight of eating 80% Taco Bell (no joke):

7434194_1237.jpg

AND I lost 12lbs plus in the first month of eating like that lol...before which I'd been dieting over a month.

Now, before half the board tries to hang me...I don't recommend it...and even I was surprised. But, if you're doing the things you need to...including strength training and getting other macros in there as needed, you'll lose weight, and not necessarily lean weight either. My bodyfat percentage dropped during that time period as well, while critical muscle measurements, didn't.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Anything to do with fad diets! I cannot believe people fall for that crap! hCG, Atkins, grapefruit... none of it makes fricken sense if you have a basic understanding of nutrition!

The "don't eat after X pm" thing gets me too.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    People referring to a diet as a "fad" even though it has been around almost 40 years.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    1. consuming 24 oz of daily daily supports weight loss

2. chocolate milk is the best post workout recovery snack

Both brought to you by Dairy Management International and Milk Promotion Services of Indiana
  • Acg67
    Options
    1. consuming 24 oz of daily daily supports weight loss

2. chocolate milk is the best post workout recovery snack

Both brought to you by Dairy Management International and Milk Promotion Services of Indiana

if #1 one was supposed to be milk, it's sort of true since a calcium deficiency can hurt weight loss but not to a huge amount
    #2 there are studies to show that choc milk is a pretty good pwo drink, but not sure if any research shows that it is superior to every other pwo snack, normally when talking in absolutes like best it's untrue
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    People referring to a diet as a "fad" even though it has been around almost 40 years.
    ^^This!