Box Brownies- Applesauce instead of eggs?

Options
13»

Replies

• cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oh wow thanks for all the suggestions.

I spent way too much time on that awesome link (chocolatecoveredkatie)

I think I will just try the flax- hopefully Hyvee has something. I do plan on experimenting though with pumpkin, banana and applesauce in mini batches too see what works best.
  • weightlossdendawn
    Options
    Tried using beans for this also, agree it sucked
  • gmhvin
    gmhvin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I make them with black beans all the time. I took them to a potluck at work at nobody knew and they were all gone. Take a can of black beans, dump the entire contents of the can, liquid and all in the food processor. Process till smooth, fold into any brownie mix, bake as usual. My family really likes them. I do add walnuts.
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    someone already posted.

The black bean brownies are really good. I make them and you can't even tell there are black beans in them.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I was going to mention the black bean thing, too. I used to make them for my daughter and even used them for a birthday cake substitute with homemade coconut milk "ice cream."

The first time I tried them, though, they sucked; it took a bit of experimentation.

You have to rinse the beans very well. Puree very well and run through a strainer to get any skin pieces that weren't fully pulverized. A higher quality ie more expensive brownie mix with more/better chocolate helps a lot, too. They work better when they're thinner, and I found that I needed to increase the cooking time by about a third.

They will also always smell a bit like beans if you put your nose down close, so drizzle some raspberry glaze (can be just diluted jam) over the top after they come out to mask that. Orange marmalade works well too if you like the chocolate/orange thing.

Finally, you probably know this, but check the label carefully if you must maintain vegan. Lots of them have whey or casine or casinate.
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i would substitute pumpkin puree for the oil and just leave the eggs out. I have left the eggs out accidentially before for box mixes and I have not had enough eggs. I have never seen a difference, but that is for a box mix. I have never done this with a recipe.