Are you prejudiced against skinny or fat people?

Options
13»

Replies

• gemkw
    Options
    That was interesting, I got:
    Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Fat People compared to Thin People.
    I don't think this is because I'm prejudiced against thin people though, i think perhaps I just identify more with fat people. Having said that, the majority of my friends are slim.
  • DownSheGoes
    Options
    Interesting survey! I got interesting results too...

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Thin People compared to Fat People.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Apparently I do not prefer one over the other, I am equally critical or accepting of both thin and fat people **wipes sweat from brow** Thank goodness I was a little afraid of what the results were going to say...phew…too much of a chicken to take the other tests I think I would rather live in my world of denial and not know what my preferance is unless I am already keenly aware.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My results said I prefer thin people but I honestly don't have ant preference or prejudices based on weight.

The whole seeing someone fat eating and judging them? Never. I never even think the "fat is unhealthy" thoughts because I know there are probably lots of fat people that are healthier than I am. No matter what size someone is, as long as they are living the left they want to, they aren't hurting anyone, and they are happy, that's all that matters.

The only person I judge based on weight is myself. :tongue:
  • Quarantined
    Options
    Yeah, I am a bit. :/ I can't say that I like that part of myself, especially considering I'm being a big fatty-boom-sticks hypocrite, but when I see someone from the extreme end of either spectrum I almost always think "for Pete's sake get that person a cheeseburger!/put down the fork fatty!".
    In saying that, I have no problem talking to anyone and would never treat someone differently just because of the way they look. It's only the initial thought that pops into my head, I still treat everyone the same - I know how awkward and embarrassing it can be to have someone ignore you or be rude and dismissive to you in conversation and I don't strive to ever make someone feel that way.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have a moderate automatic preference for fat people. I wonder if that's due to all the verbal abuse I've suffered from skinny people over the years...
    I know i'm automatically wary of skinny people, because some of them can be very prone to judge me. Is that any of you on here?

And to the person who said that people were fat because they were lazy and lacked willpower, I think you don't know what is stopping them for losing weight. I have been obese for years, but I don't think anyone that knows me would say I was lazy or lacked willpower. My willpower and energy were just taken up fighting other things.
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    I am not sure how you get the test you want. When I went to the website, there was a list of different tests. I had planned to go in there and take the race test, but when I saw the weight test, I wanted to know...

It just seemed to me to be pretty interesting and, as someone who has (over a great deal of time) lost 146 pounds, I was curious what that test would say.

To be honest, I wasn't surprised that I had no real preference.

Thanks for participating. I just thought it was interesting.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Haha I did the race one... apparently I prefer (in order most to least) Asians, Hispanics, Whites, Blacks. I would desccribe myself as white. Wonder what that means?

I also have a preference for furniture to money... odd. and of values to money.

I didn't get the fat/thin one... bummer.

I did the race one also and prefer black people.
  • epoint
    Options
    Interesting. "Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Fat People compared to Thin People."

Only in the past couple of years did I put on enough weight that I would have been labelled "fat," and I was actually probably labelled "thin" until I hit age 40 or so. I wonder if that makes a difference -- the fact that I didn't grow up hearing fat prejudices since weight issues were kind of "off my radar" until fairly recently.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I won't even lie. I'm prejudiced towards fat people. But let me explain before I get nailed.

I understand people have medical problems and sometimes they can't help but be overweight. I don't judge them.
    I also understand a lot of heavy people are on their way to a healthy lifestyle. I don't judge them either.

I judge the ones who have milkshakes in their hands and wonder why they can't lose weight. They're the ones that will make up every excuse in the world to not be active. The people who won't even walk around the mall but complain about how much they weigh. I judge those people. Maybe it makes me a bad person. Whatever. Don't complain and whine about something you CAN fix, but are just too lazy. That bothers me with ANYTHING in life. I hate when people CAN do something they just WONT.

EDIT: and i realize i used to be one of those people. and if those people can change their lifestyle like i did, then i have no reason to judge them anymore. so there's that.
  • DenmanScofield
    Options
    And there is NOOOOO medical diagnosis that prevents people from losing weight. Some people need the assistance of medications to be able to cut calories without complication, but the idea that people CANT lose weight because of a medical reason is a cop-out, and a ****ty one at that. So for those of you using the excuse of "My doctor said that..." QUIT!!! were not buying that crap.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I got that I had a strong preference for thin people which doesn't surprise me at all.
    Aethetically I think skinny is beautiful, and I have more common reality with others who are trim and active (and no much automatic reality with those who are overweight. I'm not saying that I always have more in common with thin people and less in common with overweight people once I get to know them, but I am saying that I feel more instantly connected with them when I first meet/see them.
    Sorry if any of that seems insensitive, but it's my truth.

You took the words out of my mouth. I had the same outcome as well.
    I was surprised at the end though that I "have a 1% chance of sympathizing for fat people." That seems a tad harsh.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i don't take resturant advice from skinny ppl... is that prejudiced??
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    And there is NOOOOO medical diagnosis that prevents people from losing weight. Some people need the assistance of medications to be able to cut calories without complication, but the idea that people CANT lose weight because of a medical reason is a cop-out, and a ****ty one at that. So for those of you using the excuse of "My doctor said that..." QUIT!!! were not buying that crap.

I beg to differ- conditionally.

I have several family members who have been prescribed upwards of 70mg of prednisone a day. And when a person is on that amount of steroids, they eat, or you die. First, part of the excess hunger caused by steroids is part of the human body's self preservation method. Without increasing the body's output (the best way to do that is to increase input to the body), the kidneys and liver will be damaged. (And yes, my hubby at one point had NASH of the liver because he was prescribed over 100mg of prednisone a day.) Second, the emotional effects caused by prednisone will eventually cause the most conscientious dieter to binge. And if you're unlucky, that binge will be the feasting on your bones after they rip your arms from their sockets because you said the wrong thing....... (ok, that's an exaggeration, but I like the mental imagery)

Also, because of a stomach condition, I became malnourished, and my doctor recommended not working out until it resolved.

In the case of my grandmother, she needed a double knee replacement. Couldn't get one until she lost weight, because rehabbing after the surgery would have torn the knee back down again at her advanced age and weight. But because of her two bad knees, she couldn't even stand to exercise to be able to loose that weight.

They are not the majority of situations, but there are conditions that make weight loss extremely difficult if not impossible.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have a moderate automatic preference for fat people. I wonder if that's due to all the verbal abuse I've suffered from skinny people over the years...
    I know i'm automatically wary of skinny people, because some of them can be very prone to judge me. Is that any of you on here?

And to the person who said that people were fat because they were lazy and lacked willpower, I think you don't know what is stopping them for losing weight. I have been obese for years, but I don't think anyone that knows me would say I was lazy or lacked willpower. My willpower and energy were just taken up fighting other things.

I'm the opposite. I've had a lot of drama and catty comments from people of size so I have that wariness as well from larger folks.
    I totally think its bull about people being large cuz their lazy though. There so many factors out there...just as there is for being underweight.