Near or post menopausal group

Options

Replies

• VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    So I finally gave in and started taking the birth control pills my doctor prescribed for me (to replace the lost hormones). Son of a B, now I'm getting these "fake" periods! It's like my body is playing a sick joke on me. Honestly, I'd rather have the hot flashes. :mad:

It's a hard choice isn't it!!

I don't like the hot flushes, but I was soooo over having periods.... haven't had one for 10 months now (almost classed as post menopausal, yeah).... my feeling is that if I can handle it without taking anything then that has to be for the best.... I totally understand that there are those here for whom taking something is a necessity because of much more severe symptoms than I have:flowerforyou: .... and I know I am very lucky in that way.

Same here. My symptoms aren't that severe, just a few mild hot flashes during the day. My doctor recommended the BCP's because hormone loss can lead to bone loss (osteoporosis). There has got to be a better way. I don't know if calcium supplements are enough.

There are other things that will help with the hot flashes. I stayed on the pill for a long time because it helped with my PMDD symptoms and my irregular cycle. When my doctor finally said I had to go off the pill because of my age and for some reason he was concerned about stroke (don't know why don't smoke, etc). I told him fine that I could put up with the irregular cycle, cramps, etc., but he had to give me something for the mood swings and general craziness I experienced every time I went off the pill. He put me on Prozac (just 1 (20 mg I think) a day). It has helped tremendously. I only have the occasional hot flash, but they are not that bad and there is plenty of research that shows it's very helpful for women having severe ones. I prefer to take the prozac over HRT to control my symptoms. The plan is to do this until I've gone a year without TOM. At that point, I will see how it goes without them. I think it will be wonderful, I won't have periods and I won't be crazy two weeks every month.
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    So I finally gave in and started taking the birth control pills my doctor prescribed for me (to replace the lost hormones). Son of a B, now I'm getting these "fake" periods! It's like my body is playing a sick joke on me. Honestly, I'd rather have the hot flashes. :mad:

It's a hard choice isn't it!!

I don't like the hot flushes, but I was soooo over having periods.... haven't had one for 10 months now (almost classed as post menopausal, yeah).... my feeling is that if I can handle it without taking anything then that has to be for the best.... I totally understand that there are those here for whom taking something is a necessity because of much more severe symptoms than I have:flowerforyou: .... and I know I am very lucky in that way.

Same here. My symptoms aren't that severe, just a few mild hot flashes during the day. My doctor recommended the BCP's because hormone loss can lead to bone loss (osteoporosis). There has got to be a better way. I don't know if calcium supplements are enough.

There are other things that will help with the hot flashes. I stayed on the pill for a long time because it helped with my PMDD symptoms and my irregular cycle. When my doctor finally said I had to go off the pill because of my age and for some reason he was concerned about stroke (don't know why don't smoke, etc). I told him fine that I could put up with the irregular cycle, cramps, etc., but he had to give me something for the mood swings and general craziness I experienced every time I went off the pill. He put me on Prozac (just 1 (20 mg I think) a day). It has helped tremendously. I only have the occasional hot flash, but they are not that bad and there is plenty of research that shows it's very helpful for women having severe ones. I prefer to take the prozac over HRT to control my symptoms. The plan is to do this until I've gone a year without TOM. At that point, I will see how it goes without them. I think it will be wonderful, I won't have periods and I won't be crazy two weeks every month.

We can't win can we!!!!.... periods vs / hot flashes vs / osteoporosis vs / mood swings vs / sleepless nights
    :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :sad: :cry:
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to find this group. I have mood swings, tingling of skin, duh-moments, memory loss, and gone a complete year without my period. Frankly, I'm glad to be done with the 35 year curse. I have not been to the doctor in awhile, don't feel the need and will let mother nature run its course. No hot flashes yet! The weight thing sucks though, I'm determined to get it off before I reach 50, definitely on the year long plan. I just want to get through T-day and Christmas without gaining. Oh yes, I have two teenage daughters they are a handful and of course, they KNOW it all.

I drink a lot of water, try to run/walk 3-4 miles a day, weather and body permitting. Watching my sodium and carb intake. I had some gallbladder/GERD issues this past Summer. I decided I would get my bloated, bulging, blubber butt n' gut in shape and not take the easy way out by having surgery. I've lost 28 and still have at least 32 pounds to go. I DO NOT want to be overweight when I'm 50.

Anyone who wants to friend me feel free! Always looking for support and can lend a good ear and shoulder to cry on....
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I swear, the very DAY I turned 50, my body said,"Okay!" You can't lose weight any more!
  • 1960lisa
    Options
    Ugh. I swear, the very DAY I turned 50, my body said,"Okay!" You can't lose weight any more!

Mine too!!!:sad:

PS - I love your photo.... looks just like my cat!:bigsmile:
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I hope you are all having a fantastic weekend! If anyone could share their experiences on how they coped with hot flashes and sleep, I would be interested to hear them! They are interrrupting my sleep something awful! Grrrrr............
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I"m a " Peri" .....
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Well its now officially 2 months since my last period and I have been gaining and losing the same 2 lbs for the last 3 weeks. GRRRRR:grumble: I still have alot to go. The first 30 lbs came off fairly easily but now I'm in a funk and gettting frustrated. Anyone in the same boat or have been there and overcame it?
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    I was treated for endometrosis when I was in my 20's. Always expected to hit menopause early, so I was surprised when I finally went through it last year, at 51. One day I realized it had been a couple of months since my last period. The ONE thing that really surprised me was my SUGAR CRAVING. I would try to eat fruit, that wasn't satisifying, protein, veggies, all of my healthy options same effect. I CRAVED sugar.
    I'm still battling the craving. Anyone else have this happen to them?
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Don't worry! At 55, I can tell you things start moving again. I am not down to my get married weight of 30 years ago, but I have been able to lose close to 20 pounds in the past year. Walking is my best friend, be it to work, on the treadmill or the elliptical. I do notice that I am not as strong as I was when I was younger. My muscle mass is definitely shrinking.
  • SardisGrandma
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy at age 40 but since they left my ovaries I stopped having periods but still had to go through menopause as normal. Which I started at 45. Night sweats & hot flashes galore. I never got the mood swings although my now X hubby would disagree. ( His lying cheating womanizing self. And Menopause made me moody?? Lol) anyway count me in. I still have hot flashes even tho drs said would only last 5 yrs. Metabolism!! There I said it! I dont eat near as much as the younger women around me. Growing old isnt for wimps! Exercise hurts my knees, back, feet, & I cant catch my breath. But at 60 I'm trying. It gets a little easier every week. But I dont think I'll ever say I like walking. I'm walking 2 miles a day 5 times a week & going to curves 4 to 5 times a week but I hate it! I wanna lose 100 lbs & will start week 4. So far I lost 10.4 lbs in last 3 wks
  • SardisGrandma
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I hope you are all having a fantastic weekend! If anyone could share their experiences on how they coped with hot flashes and sleep, I would be interested to hear them! They are interrrupting my sleep something awful! Grrrrr............
  • SardisGrandma
    Options
    Hot flashes. I've had it all. HRT, black coash, estroven. Heres best treatment! Remote controlled pedestal fan! I have one in the den & one in the bedroom. I sleep w control in my hand & smile.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was treated for endometrosis when I was in my 20's. Always expected to hit menopause early, so I was surprised when I finally went through it last year, at 51. One day I realized it had been a couple of months since my last period. The ONE thing that really surprised me was my SUGAR CRAVING. I would try to eat fruit, that wasn't satisifying, protein, veggies, all of my healthy options same effect. I CRAVED sugar.
    I'm still battling the craving. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Candida maybe?
  • mollie05
    Options
    OMG im so pleased that other people are going through the non sleeping pattern, some days l just feel awful!! I hear that in Spain the ladies spray their sheets with cold water before they get in so it will be really cool but thats ok but after a hot flush l get cold again!!

Dont sleep, moody want to eat anything sleep why is it we women have to go through all this
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Good Morning my fellow Hot Flashers! Happy Halloween! I'm coming off my birthday/halloween weekend (I turned 53).......I consumed WAY too much cake, candy, ice cream and food in general. I have a food hangover!! lol....well, there was some instances of alcohol too over the weekend (vampire's kiss cocktails, jello shots and gummy worms soaked in vodka).....so the hangover may not just be from too much food.

I made my goal of wanting to be under 140 pounds for my birthday. I'm sure if I got on the scale today it's going to be right back up over 140...but I'm not going to subject myself to that type of negativity!! No way! Today is a new beginning! And my sluggish peri-menopausal metabolism can go to hell! I'm back an ready to kick *kitten*!! Who's with me?!?!?!??!?!
  • beckyjean10
    Options
    I just joined 5 days ago, and am really liking the app and website so far. I am SO glad to find a group of people that can relate to this menopause challenge. I turned 50, started menopause, and gained 10 pounds all in about the same month. Not to mention the newly acquired and out of character psycho-*****y-over-reacting personality trait I occasionally exhibit that my family has a good laugh about behind my back. Happy 50th birthday to me! Seriously, I am fortunate in that I am not also having hot flashes (knock on wood). So, I have been really, really good nutritionally speaking and working out daily for 5 days and I have lost a whopping 1 pound! My boyfriend started yesterday and has lost 3 pounds. I am very supportive and happy for him, but have I mentioned that menopause sucks? Despite all that, yes, I am with you lizziebeth1028! I am ready to kick some *kitten* and get into the remaining 90% of the clothes in my closet!
  • 1960lisa
    Options
    I just joined 5 days ago, and am really liking the app and website so far. I am SO glad to find a group of people that can relate to this menopause challenge. I turned 50, started menopause, and gained 10 pounds all in about the same month. Not to mention the newly acquired and out of character psycho-*****y-over-reacting personality trait I occasionally exhibit that my family has a good laugh about behind my back. Happy 50th birthday to me! Seriously, I am fortunate in that I am not also having hot flashes (knock on wood). So, I have been really, really good nutritionally speaking and working out daily for 5 days and I have lost a whopping 1 pound! My boyfriend started yesterday and has lost 3 pounds. I am very supportive and happy for him, but have I mentioned that menopause sucks? Despite all that, yes, I am with you lizziebeth1028! I am ready to kick some *kitten* and get into the remaining 90% of the clothes in my closet!
    Welcome beckyjean:flowerforyou: .... I can relate completely.... I've now been here a month and I've been (mostly) very healthy, started a running program, active every day.... and the scales are barely moving!! But I love this site and have made some wonderful, supportive friends so I really feel I am on the right track.... feel free to send me a friend request if you are after some more support... and I too have soooo many clothes.... but nothing to wear!

Lisa
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ahh, so many clothes but nothing to wear. Were you looking over my shoulder? ahhhaha :D I used to love turtleneck sweaters and have a ton of them. But with the hot flashes they are no longer an option. Yet, I hate to throw them out. :( The "fat clothes" are a bit too loose now-yay! But the "thin clothes" are still a bit tight. Do I keep wearing the "fat clothes" or do I squeeze into the "thin clothes" and feel uncomfortable...decisions, decisions. By the way, I don't remember anybody mentioning dry skin. That is new for me and I go through lotion like crazy. Itchiness becomes noticeable at unseemly moments and I have to get a grip not to scratch. Ugggh! :frown:
  • 1960lisa
    Options
    Ahh, so many clothes but nothing to wear. Were you looking over my shoulder? ahhhaha :D I used to love turtleneck sweaters and have a ton of them. But with the hot flashes they are no longer an option. Yet, I hate to throw them out. :( The "fat clothes" are a bit too loose now-yay! But the "thin clothes" are still a bit tight. Do I keep wearing the "fat clothes" or do I squeeze into the "thin clothes" and feel uncomfortable...decisions, decisions. By the way, I don't remember anybody mentioning dry skin. That is new for me and I go through lotion like crazy. Itchiness becomes noticeable at unseemly moments and I have to get a grip not to scratch. Ugggh! :frown:

I don't know about looking over your shoulder but I can relate to everything you say..... dry skin.... god I go through gallons of moisturizer and oils..... have to put really rich cream on my feet every night or my feet feel horrible and dry..... and the turtlenecks.... I'm the same.... I do have one which I wear a lot because it is sleeveless.... with a very light cardigan I can manage it.... but I have several lovely big chunky cardigans and I haven't got into them once over winter!

Oh the joys of menopause!:tongue: