Near or post menopausal group

Options

Replies

• VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I'm 48. Between the hypothyroid (since my mid-20s) and peri-M (this spring), I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I convinced my doctor to leave me on the pill for a while, but he finally said no more this past spring. I have been all over the place ever since with a cycle ranging anywhere between 20 days and 29 days, YUCK!
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi Everbody,
    Saw a mention of this group on another post and I thought I'd drop in.

I'm 51 and hopefully almost post menopausa!!! :0)
    I've been doing pretty well with losing weight, but have had a bit of a wobble over the past few weeks and not been so good.

I found since my hormone levels went haywire, I seem to be very susceptible to illness. And it's got worse and worse as the menopausal years went on. (I've been going for 8 years now).
    Nowadays, if there's a virus in a 20 mile radius, you can guarantee I'll get it and then it takes me forever to recover because I get secondary infections etc.
    It's hard to focus on eating well and exercising when you feel like crap so much of the time.

I'm sorry to say hello with a whinge, but I feel better for getting if off my chest :D

I'm not giving up and when I'm over this bout of sinusitis I'll get back on track.
    It would be great give and get some support and understanding from people that are dealing with similar problems.
    Feeling it's not just me would help lots I think ...Sue

I can relate to this.... I hadn't really connected my coming down with several bouts of chest infections, tooth/gum infection, etc with menopause.... but I've never been laid up in bed as much as this past year..... I am also 51 and hopefully almost post menopausal (last period jan).....

I am also trying to do this without taking anything..... the hot flushes drive me a bit crazy but they are bearable.... although the weather is just starting to warm up so I might suffer a bit more soon.....

Also relate to the lack of sex drive..... hmm.... would I rather turn over and read my book... yes please!

I am hoping that be getting up and moving a lot more now and trying to shed some weight that things might improve.

I feel for all of those here who have medical issues.... i count my self very lucky to only have the issues I have.... and I wish you all the best.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Lisa
  • lorimur
    lorimur Posts: 30
    Options
    <p<I visited my doctor on Monday and requested they run my bloods again...issue is that I don't think the levels they use here (i am in Spain) are consistent with those used in UK or USA.
    My last couple of tests have shown I am borderline (on Spanish levels) - but when I had my first thyroid problem they told me I was hiper (high) and rushed me for a heart monitor test..(all fine)..then I had a throat xray and doctor confirmed I had thyroditis - so they gave me tablets which I was on for six weeks...next blood test showed I was completely hipo (low)...and they immediately took me off all medication to see if my system would kick start itself back to normal.....they also mentioned Hashimoto Syndrome which I understand to be when you fluctuate between hiper and hipo.... not quite sure where to go from here...if I post results when I get them maybe someone can interprete them for me ?
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    <p<I visited my doctor on Monday and requested they run my bloods again...issue is that I don't think the levels they use here (i am in Spain) are consistent with those used in UK or USA.
    My last couple of tests have shown I am borderline (on Spanish levels) - but when I had my first thyroid problem they told me I was hiper (high) and rushed me for a heart monitor test..(all fine)..then I had a throat xray and doctor confirmed I had thyroditis - so they gave me tablets which I was on for six weeks...next blood test showed I was completely hipo (low)...and they immediately took me off all medication to see if my system would kick start itself back to normal.....they also mentioned Hashimoto Syndrome which I understand to be when you fluctuate between hiper and hipo.... not quite sure where to go from here...if I post results when I get them maybe someone can interprete them for me ?

Not sure about the how the levels are tested in Spain, but I've never hear of Hashimoto's causing fluctuations up and down. If you have Hashimoto's then your thyroid function is typically decreased. I have had hashimoto since I was in my mid 20's maybe younger. My levels have never been too high (just too low). The do fluctuate some, but I've never gone hyper. Her is a description from Mayo Clinic: Hashimoto's disease, also known as chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, your immune system attacks your thyroid gland. The resulting inflammation often leads to an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism). Hashimoto's disease is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the United States. It primarily affects middle-aged women, but also can occur in men and women of any age and in children. The link is below. You might want to check it out. I always find the Mayo Clinic information to be very good. Good Luck!
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hashimotos-disease/DS00567
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Giving us a bump!! :-)
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where I am- possibly peri because I have spells where I'm constantly having hot flashes, night sweats, sadness, mood swings etc. -

This is me too - I'll be 46 next month and still have regular TOM but I'm also experiencing all of the above! Where does that put me? I lose and gain the same three pounds every week and am still over 10lbs from my ultimate goal. Please don't tell me it'll be like this for the next 10 years!
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    Count me in! I have had hot flashes for at least 5 years! Not fun! I do not miss the monthly at all. I am really glad I found myfitnesspal.
  • lennykat
    Options
    I have a couple of questions for you ladies since you've been there done that--

I'm 39, 5'9" and weigh around 190lbs. Despite diet control and serious exercise (weights, cardio, and HIIT) I've not lost a single pound. I am noticing a bit of a difference in how I look and how my clothes fit-- but in my opinon not nearly enough since I've been at this for about 6 MONTHS!!

Now, for the last 4 months my TOM is coming every 3 weeks and lasting only about 3 days. This month is looks like it's going to last about 2. I've had some night sweats, for the last month some SERIOUS itching (I'm talking get up in the middle of the night get in the shower bad), and no libido and when I do have a libido well-- it's not comfortable.

Now, I am visiting the Dr. for my annual on the 1st of Nov. I called and told them I wanted a hormone panel done along with thyroid and whatever else.

They agreed and I'll have that done next week.

I'd like some advice from you ladies about what to ask my dr. once I see him on the first. Especially if my numbers come out normal or borderline or something.

Friend me message me, it's okay. My diary isn't up to date- I haven't had much time. My workout schedule is intense so I'm not too worried about food intake at the moment, I just know I'm not overdoing anything.

Thanks in advance-
    Kathy
  • lorimur
    lorimur Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks!....I checked out the Mayo Clinic link and it is amazing that more than half of the things I have been to the doctor for over the last three years are ALL listed on the symptoms chart !!......but I don't think my doctor has ever looked at everything together just treated each symptom as a natural progression of menopause and getting older !

The symptoms listed include:

*Fatigue and sluggishness - thought this was me just taking longer to recover from the usual nights out etc..
    *Increased sensitivity to cold - thermal pj's in August...then strip off when get a hot flush..etc..
    *Constipation - have IBS
    *Pale, dry skin - not pale but skin has got a lot drier and told again ...just a natural age progression.
    * A puffy face - thought I was just starting to age and look like my mother !
    * Hoarse voice - have completely lost my voice on 4 occasions in the last three years..
    * An elevated blood cholesterol level - nope, fine on this one.!

* Unexplained weight gain — occurring infrequently and rarely exceeding 10 to 20 pounds, most of which is fluid - attributed to IBS..

* Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness, especially in your shoulders and hips - had six months of injections in my shoulders as unable to raise my arms up sufficiently to undo my own bra..! Was told I must have strained the muscles somehow.

* Pain and stiffness in your joints and swelling in your knees or the small joints in your hands and feet
    Every morning over the last two years...have felt like walking on glass getting out of bed in the morning and told it was probably due to me wearing high heels when younger...just a natural aging process....my big toes are now getting so stiff ....finally doctor is sending me for xrays (have appointment for next week) !!*

* Muscle weakness, especially in your lower extremities - have felt loss of power in my arms..and knees get a bit sore climbing stairs (but more going down stairs).

* Excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia) - Thank you Menopause...no periods anymore !!

* Depression - not clinically diagnosed but my friends have asked on a couple of occasions if I am feeling okay...just not myself and certainly find I am interested in same activities as before....(but also put that down to not being able to sleep at night).

Without treatment, signs and symptoms gradually become more severe and your thyroid gland may become enlarged (goiter). In addition, you may become more forgetful, your thought processes may slow or you may feel depressed.

**Forgetful !!!!.....have to write everything down...and then will maybe have to ask for a telephone number two or three times as write the numbers backwards..!....and my timekeeping has really gone downhill as I just don't seem to be able to time things as well as before...

My last blood test results were:

TSH T4 Libre T3 Libre Antiperoxidasa Anti tiroglobulina
    0.40 - 4.5 0.85 - 1.8 2.5 - 4.4 0 - 60 0 - 60

0.02 2.31 6.6 Not tested Not tested
    10.46 0.87 3.5 >1300 336.9
    4.3 1.01 3.5 Not tested Not tested
    2.66 1.15 3.1 Not tested Not tested

My next blood test is on Friday and if those results are similar as last one then doctor has said that I would only need a blood test once a year to double check all still okay...

What should I do however if the doctor keeps telling me that everything is just related to the Menopause and just to accept it and get on with it!!
    (which is part of the reason I joined MFP)...??
  • loranda
    loranda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just wanted to say thanks for all the great suggestions and advice :)
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and have not started menopause yet. At least I don't think so. It is hard to tell because I am still on birth control pills for good old fashioned BIRTH control! My only symptoms are that I am heavier and that I can see a lot more chin hairs than used to be normal. I figure SOMETHING is happening. Fortunately I still have lots of energy and no mood swings yet. Hoping that losing weight will help keep me on an even keel.
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    After reading all the recent posts, I am beginning to think that menopause like most other health issues is the luck of genetics. I am one of the lucky ones. I think my hormone levels are intact. I have not had them tested in 5 or 6 years. I am 55 and post menopausal for about 5 years. I had night sweats, but few hot flashes. I noticed a bit of weight gain and yo-yoed in a 15 pounds window for a few years. I am again down to 120 pounds (5'4" tall). My biggest complaint is facial hair ( I hate it) and the lack of sex drive.

My daughter was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and told she may have trouble getting pregnant. One month later she was pregnant ( again a lucky one).

My advice to you all is to keep active. I feel so much better after a long walk or aerobic workout. I do take calcium supplements with vitamin D. I asked my husband about the mood swings (figuring I would never notice them); he did not seem to think they had been an issue - but he is pretty mellow.

To those of you with questions - PUSH YOUR DOCTOR TO ANSWER THEM. It is your body and your life to enjoy.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and perimenopausal.
    I'm trying hard to lose weight because I feel It will be so hard to lose weight after menopause.
    My period is so irregular at 1st I thought I was sick.
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    hot flashes constantly, night sweats wake me up constantly, anxiety levels up, mood is pretty positive due to the fact that I try to exercise daily.
    i am reading Between a Rock and a Hot Place by tracey jackson right now and I am seriously considering hrt because I find it soooo embarrassing (not to mention uncomfortable) to deal with people at work while turning bright pink and sweating profusely, how can anyone trust me when I look like that. I have worked with a lot of menopausal women, one of them so miserable that I almost quit my job rather than deal with her everyday, luckily she quit instead. I don't want to be that woman, I don't want to lose myself and I want to get my sexy back.
    :noway:
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Sexy will come back. The nice part about menopause is the freedom you have after everything is settled. No worries about birth control.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    January girl - try not to be embarrassed at what is happening- I actually acknowledge what is going on( to those around me as well if necessary) and try my best to continue what I am doing. If the hot flush( we use a slightly different term here in Aus) stops me from continuing what I am doing I just ask those around me to give me 3 or so minutes - by which time I am normally functional again. I will give you an example- a few years ago I was shopping for head sets for my ipod and during this process was overcome with a hot flush. I actually said to my daughter and the shop assistant that I was experiencing a hot flush and that I had to wait a few minutes before continuing. My daughter playfully teased me - and the shop assistant stepped in and gave her a dressing down - with the comments.....wait 20 years and see if you can focus in the middle of a hot flush - give your mum some space!

I have no qualms in telling this to male of females around me - they can see me going red- they can see me sweating - why not break the barriers and tell them what is happening. In a way this will help inform others and open up this whole menopausal issue so that it is not a public no go area. I have had to say this to young men in stores etc and surprisingly they often will say things like- wow, you should see what happens to my mum...........

Thankfully after 6-7 years of hot flushes , mine are way less frequent now- so instead of maybe 3 an hour round the clock - I might get 1 or 2 a day- it is wonderful!!!

I have to say how pleased I am that women of all ages are contributing to this thread. It is sad to hear of those who have been impacted on by cancer and are having to walk this journey earlier than usual - but good that as a group we can offer support and "hold the hands"of those on the journey so that it is a little less daunting.

Prior to this thread I had not really realised the incidence of thyroid issues within menopause and now realize why almost once a year my GP does thyroid tests on me.

The issue of being unwell since menopause was raised and I just wanted to say that for me this hasn't been the case- or perhaps not?????? I was actually diagnosed with Crohn's disease at the age of 51- and had been sick for a full 10 months prior so that is full on middle of my peri and menopausal stint. Thankfully that is currently in remission - although I am still on medication for it in the hope that it will not return. Other than that I have been really well. I suppose diagnosis of one chronic non curable condition is enough!!!!

Keep the posts and support coming.....I am not sure how we move to a renewed post when we eventually get to 20 pages - but I am sure one of the fabulous people here will know how - or we can find out!

Have a great week everyone

Debbie
  • jessashcher
    Options
    count me in, I am peri-menapausal also, it is very frustrating, I have gained most of my weight in my belly and although I am losing the weight now, 16lbs since I started counting calories 10 of those since I have been on this site and I am not really seeing that big of a difference yet, my periods are so screwed up I don't know when I'm ever gonna start. It has been 2 monthes now and still nothing, I don't miss it but it would certainly be nice to know if I am done or what. I have had no energy, does anyone else have that problem? I am 47 years old and this is the heaviest I have every been except when pregnant. I am currently 163 and I'm trying to get to 130 by April, I think I can do it, but it is so nice to know that I am not on here alone with these problems.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, count me in! I've been put into menopause for the past 2 1/2 years and for the first year suffered with night sweats and hot flashes, I was so sleep deprived that I didn't even like myself. Now with add back therapy I only rarely have a hot flash, but still struggle with weight gain and difficulty losing. I'm 47 with severe endometriosis. Would love more support.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    count me in, I am peri-menapausal also, it is very frustrating, I have gained most of my weight in my belly and although I am losing the weight now, 16lbs since I started counting calories 10 of those since I have been on this site and I am not really seeing that big of a difference yet, my periods are so screwed up I don't know when I'm ever gonna start. It has been 2 monthes now and still nothing, I don't miss it but it would certainly be nice to know if I am done or what. I have had no energy, does anyone else have that problem? I am 47 years old and this is the heaviest I have every been except when pregnant. I am currently 163 and I'm trying to get to 130 by April, I think I can do it, but it is so nice to know that I am not on here alone with these problems.

OMG Yes!! The fatigue is awful!! I get home from work and I just want to crash! And even though I've always maintained my weight within a certain rage....a few years ago everything just sort of shifted around and I got so bulky in the middle!!!!!! My waistline disappeared! And it's so hard to get back:((
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Sexy will come back. The nice part about menopause is the freedom you have after everything is settled. No worries about birth control.

Oh please tell me this is true!!! I'm almost 53 and not sure if I'm done yet. Last period was in June. It seems my fatigue is getting better. I still aways get a hot flash just when I first dosing off in bed at night....annoying arghhhh. And I have to ask....

Anyone have libido problems???? My sex drive is not what it used to be:((( Please tell me this will come back too!