Fat girls are easy

Options

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    I am so angry! This was a part of a morning radio show a few days ago and I am still fuming and I just have to rant a little. The topic was a new study that came out that said that fat girls are more likely to give it up on a first date than "pretty" girls. So the suggestion was if you were looking into a dating website for a one night stand, to choose a larger girl. They even went on to say that eager beats pretty anyday. I can say that I will never listen to this station again, even though the music is better, and I will choose a more family friendly station like MIX. Oh, I can feel my blood pressure going up again.:mad:

The same study also found that tall women were more likely to exhibit the same behavior compared to shorter/ 'normal' women. If the DJs didn't point that out as well then that's pretty tacky, but its also honestly true. Marginalized groups of women tend to be more insecure and prone to behaviors that will garner them attention and validation, even if it is only temporary.

I did not say ALL women and I did not say they ALL do this. Its a fact, sad as it may be and I do think its pretty tacky that a music station morning show would include a story like this. Weird.
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When statistics like these become evident it's important not to get angry at the research. You can be angry at the media for misrepresenting the data, you can be angry at society for contributing to these problems. But research is just information getting angry at it doesn't change it. If it upsets you need to go out and advocate for change or seek to make a change in your own life.

If we ignore the fact that marginalized women are more prone to self destructive behavior that won't stop it from being true it will just make us part of the problem.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I find "shallow" woman to be very easy, whereas a woman with a bit more meat would simply question my motives. So I beg to differ.

awww so sweet puckerman...
    but with a body like that who needs askin! rofl
  • sandislim
    Options

The media basically hates women.

I agree. It doesn't matter what women do, say or how they look, its always wrong for whatever reason they think up at the time. And the media have it in for men too. All men are perves/cheaters looking for one thing etc etc. The media does people a disservice - why not look at the good in people instead of manipulating their weaknesses for the gain of 'ratings'! But that's life I guess, money is more important to some people.
  • sandislim
    Options
    When statistics like these become evident it's important not to get angry at the research. You can be angry at the media for misrepresenting the data, you can be angry at society for contributing to these problems. But research is just information getting angry at it doesn't change it. If it upsets you need to go out and advocate for change or seek to make a change in your own life.

If we ignore the fact that marginalized women are more prone to self destructive behavior that won't stop it from being true it will just make us part of the problem.

The media does have a lot to answer for. A larger lady could find herself getting abused by a man simply because he listened to a radio programme which convinced him that she should be gagging for it.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bogus stat. I am no researcher, but in my lifetime I have seen that low-selfesteem in women is pretty much the same percentage wise regardless of weight or looks. There are very confident large women I know, and thin ones that society would deem "hot" who have still developed eating disorders.

So yes, women with lower self-esteem are more likely to have sex, but how about heavier women that have sex because they enjoy it, not because they are debasing themselves?

And why is no one mentioning the guys who sleep with these girls. Seems to me that many, many men sleep around not from a genetic predisposition for promiscuity, but in order to prove themselves and feel wanted.

So if you are going to discect a womans sexuality in the way it sounds like this show have, they had better be more fair across the board.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    That's pretty annoying - but the best way to beat a stereotype is to prove them wrong, so we all (regardless of our size) need to put out less, if we all do that they will be scuppered, as they are more than likely unattractive with zero personality :-) Ha, bet they'll wish they kept quiet now!
  • mdfeller
    Options
    In my situation, I don't think weight really comes in to play.... For me anyway, my first date with my husband, I weighed 97 pounds. I was so upset that it took him 2 hours of making out on the couch before he took me the bedroom... Still tease him about it. He weighed 225.
  • finchase
    Options
    It's not just radio where this attitude prevails. Television, even respected shows, have the same mentality. Years ago I was watching "60 Minutes", the Andy Rooney segment. He was talking about political correctness and how it was unacceptable to hate any groups anymore. Then he says the only two groups that you're allowed to despise now are fat people and people in the insurance industry. I sat there, stunned, thinking, "Great! I'm two for two. I guess I really suck."

I know he was just satirizing the current attitudes, but there a lot of people out there who would take that literally and figure it's fine.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If there's any research at all behind that it's got to be statistically dodgy. What a load of sexist rubbish.

What about fat, pretty girls? Which camp would these 'findings' put them in??

And would a fat, pretty girl be more likely to 'give it up' than a thin, ugly girl??

Ugh, how ridiculous.
  • ANNAvsANNA
    ANNAvsANNA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Pffft - I am a fat girl tryong to lose weight and I cant find anyone to sleep with. So i am not too sure about the eager bit - we dont get any!!! Pretty girls - well, they act so hard to get.

And yeah rubbish station. Absolute rubbishness.

Agree.... Not getting to the date part at all >:(
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Pffft - I am a fat girl tryong to lose weight and I cant find anyone to sleep with. So i am not too sure about the eager bit - we dont get any!!! Pretty girls - well, they act so hard to get.

And yeah rubbish station. Absolute rubbishness.

Agree.... Not getting to the date part at all >:(

Regardless, if that's you in your picture, you are stunningly pretty.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    That's the kind of supposedly humor that I really hate. The kind that targets or hurts someone (or a group of people) and hurts them, and other people think it is funny. It's not funny. Like the clips on America's funniest home videos where people get hit in the crotch or hurt really bad in a fall, I am just not seeing any humor in it.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    well i do kind of agree....i know that sounds bad, but some bigger girls will sleep around looking for people to give them attention, since they don't get any on looks alone. or they want someone to like them and sleep with them to get that feeling(thats girls of all szes though). But, this doesn't mean ALL big girls are easy....
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If there's any research at all behind that it's got to be statistically dodgy. What a load of sexist rubbish.

What about fat, pretty girls? Which camp would these 'findings' put them in??

And would a fat, pretty girl be more likely to 'give it up' than a thin, ugly girl??

Ugh, how ridiculous.

well fat pretty girls most likely KNOW they are pretty, so they won't necissarily sleep around thinking they will get the reinforcment that they are pretty....some of the biggest "hoes" i know are the skinny ugly ones....but not to say all skinny ugly people are easy. All in all i think it has a lot to do with someone self esteem and their daddy/childhood issues
  • Fredrigo
    Options
    I don't think the study was dodgy at all it sounds like it was done very professionally the trouble is in how the results are being misrepresented.

As far as additional factors there are always additional factors in any social research that's why you have to have large test groups so that individual variance can be negated out.

This is why why we need to have science reporters again. Very few news departments maintain staff who actually know how to report on scientific data so instead we get half explained news stories about fat girls being easy and cars that run on water.

As I said before we should focus on addressing the issue rather than getting angry about the research. Let's make sure young women don't feel like they need to provide sex in order to feel validated regardless of their shape..
  • kerrydunning
    Options
    I find "shallow" woman to be very easy, whereas a woman with a bit more meat would simply question my motives. So I beg to differ.

completely agree
  • Fredrigo
    Options
    Anecdotal evidence from a population that is health conscious enough to participate in a fitness based forum message board does not represent a diverse sample of the human population especially on this topic.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I don't think the study was dodgy at all it sounds like it was done very professionally the trouble is in how the results are being misrepresented.

As far as additional factors there are always additional factors in any social research that's why you have to have large test groups so that individual variance can be negated out.

This is why why we need to have science reporters again. Very few news departments maintain staff who actually know how to report on scientific data so instead we get half explained news stories about fat girls being easy and cars that run on water.

As I said before we should focus on addressing the issue rather than getting angry about the research. Let's make sure young women don't feel like they need to provide sex in order to feel validated regardless of their shape..
    You, I will listen to. Thanks for this. Especially that last part.
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It would be handy if the reporters recognised (and discussed) the difference between correlation and causation in this case. :)
This discussion has been closed.