Fat girls are easy

Options

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It would be handy if the reporters recognised (and discussed) the difference between correlation and causation in this case. :)

a massive distinction - I remember in school a teacher using the example of stork populations fluctating with human birth rates and how correlation being mistaken for causation could lead to people assuming storks bring babies!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It would be handy if the reporters recognised (and discussed) the difference between correlation and causation in this case. :)

a massive distinction - I remember in school a teacher using the example of stork populations fluctating with human birth rates and how correlation being mistaken for causation could lead to people assuming storks bring babies!
    Which gives me the perfect opportunity to link my favourite webcomic, on this very subject. :bigsmile:

http://xkcd.com/925/

There is no chance of your average breakfast show host being able to understand and interpret the results of scientific studies for the "benefit" of their listeners. The way I see it, there is a good reason they didn't manage to get a "proper job" in the first place...
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    yay for XKCD! It is a brilliant comic :)
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I don't think the study was dodgy at all it sounds like it was done very professionally the trouble is in how the results are being misrepresented.

As far as additional factors there are always additional factors in any social research that's why you have to have large test groups so that individual variance can be negated out.

This is why why we need to have science reporters again. Very few news departments maintain staff who actually know how to report on scientific data so instead we get half explained news stories about fat girls being easy and cars that run on water.

As I said before we should focus on addressing the issue rather than getting angry about the research. Let's make sure young women don't feel like they need to provide sex in order to feel validated regardless of their shape..

Very good points! Agree, agree, agree.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it doesn't really bother me. We agree that people with low self esteem are more likely to give it up, yes? Is it such a stretch to say overweight people are more likely to have low self esteem? I know my self esteem is better at a lower weight than a higher one, though that's not the only determining factor.

Note I say MORE LIKELY. No one is saying that every single female with a BMI in the overweight range is going to be easy.

I'm overweight. If that puts me in a category that says I'm more likely to be this or that, that doesn't mean that I'm not an outlier. It's an average.

Meh. It's a rock station, not a motivational talk station. If they play good rock that's good enough for me- though I usually do change the station when they talk. I want to listen to music, not listen to them blab.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Its just a radio station,who cares really. Its a, joke an people need to stop being so sensitive
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm with the camp of people who hold the study separate from the people who brought the study to the radio listeners. My close friend has a popular morning show on a big station out here, and he presented that same study last week. He chooses these studies for the possibility of sensationalization. That's the part that sucks, but unless you're listening to NPR (and sometimes even then...) this is what they do with research. I try to find the original study and then base my judgements on that.
  • Sunrize1
    Options
    Unbelievable, Im having a hard time believing this was a a true study. You did the right think by turning it off! I think you should write the radio station as well!
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    There are people in here talking about writing in and complaining. Seriously? It's a radio show. If you don't like it.......<GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASP> turn it off? When did people become so sensitive?
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked I couldn't find any overweight women pushing to get to the front of the "Let's get naked" line. :laugh:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Men are easy.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm easy.
  • CryTerrell
    Options
    Ew, that's just gross.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Men are easy.
    They didn't need a study for that, just which chicks are easier targets. Studies lately don't mean so much anyway. I can't believe money is wasted on them or that anyone pays attention anymore.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm not being insensitive here, but these things are said because more often than not it's true to a certain degree. In today's society with body image being so heavily focused on, someone who views themselves as overweight and unattractive may love the attention from guys who are just looking to get laid. In the end it's two adult decisions. The radio station was simply bold enough to state it.

Don't take it personal, ignore it and enjoy some music.

Thank you!

And honestly, why is it that women who might want a one night stand automatically have low self esteem and no respect for themselves?? Frankly I find that an insulting double standard and I hear it most often from other women.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    They didn't use me as a part of the study!!!! I would have been a minority of what they claimed to have found! HA!!! I would not be single if I was one of their statistics. I think a lot of guys THINK that the statics is true based on dates over the last few years :explode: What a shame they go home disappointed! Maybe they should not meet with such expectations!!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Yes you should write the station I mean who do they think they are talking about something you dont like in a country with free speech
  • rhiannon1621
    rhiannon1621 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone is also entitled to vent if they dont like something. I think the people who are saying so stop listening and dont whinge should take their own advice, if you dont like the topic close it and don't comment? Seems like doublt standards to me......
  • aurorasangel2000
    Options
    Yes, thank you very much!!! Size doesn't have anything to do with it. It's your self-esteem and what you believe.
This discussion has been closed.