Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    yeah because polio was so much fun
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think Spock said it best in Wrath of Khan: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Nerded.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    While I am appreciating the read and all the arguements for and against. . . . This information is not accurate. . your kids can go to school without being immunized. . all you have to do is sign a waver form. . . . Just because a child is not immunized does not mean that they can withhold education from that child. . .
    While true, if a child that has no vaccinations gets ill, the school can hold them out till the child gets a full clearance from a verifiable medical source.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

My boys dont eat healthy I do the best I can but they are 4 and 1 lol they are going to eat whatever they want within reason

If your children are 4 and 1 that means they are eating whatever foods you provide them with. How is their age an excuse not to provide them with healthy meals?
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options
    I have asked this before and will ask it again. How many of you adults are vaccinated and receive your boosters? When herd immunity is mentioned they are not only referring to the children they are talking about the society as a whole. In order for us to have protection from "herd immunity" atleast 80% of the population would need to be up-to date on their vaccinations.

I personally do not believe in "herd immunity".
  • lor007
    Options
    Well, there were only natural foods hundreds of years ago. And a hell of a lot of people died from diseases that we can now vaccinate for. There's some pretty flawed logic in the original post.

+1
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

My boys dont eat healthy I do the best I can but they are 4 and 1 lol they are going to eat whatever they want within reason

If your children are 4 and 1 that means they are eating whatever foods you provide them with. How is their age an excuse not to provide them with healthy meals?

Oh wow completely missed that bit. I agree with you - does the quoted person's 4 and 1 year old go out and do their own grocery shopping??
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options

I did not say I do not provide them with healthy meals. They choose what they want to eat from the food I give them which is healthy however there are days where they will only eat one thing (today my 1 year old has ate a whole bag of grapes he is not interested in anything else I have offered him).
  • servilia
    Options
    I have asked this before and will ask it again. How many of you adults are vaccinated and receive your boosters? When herd immunity is mentioned they are not only referring to the children they are talking about the society as a whole. In order for us to have protection from "herd immunity" atleast 80% of the population would need to be up-to date on their vaccinations.

Yes I am up to date.
    With all due respect, it doesn't really matter what you believe - you may not believe in it but that doesn't make it unreal. There are also people who believe the earth is flat. Edited to add - although it does matter to the extent that it causes you to make bad decisions..
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I do.
  • servilia
    Options

I did not say I do not provide them with healthy meals. They choose what they want to eat from the food I give them which is healthy however there are days where they will only eat one thing (today my 1 year old has ate a whole bag of grapes he is not interested in anything else I have offered him).

Maybe if you don't give him the whole bag he will be hungry enough to have a variety of other foods.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

A whole bag of grapes???
    :huh:
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options

Maybe if you don't give him the whole bag he will be hungry enough to have a variety of other foods.

I think I remember you saying you have no children so I am not sure how you think you know what a toddler would do. Let me break down my day for you. This morning I cooked my children waffles for breakfast and beside there waffles I served grapes he ate all his grapes and possibly two bites of waffle. At morning snack time I set out a plate with fruit on it and he ate 2 apple slices and about 10 grapes. At lunch time we had oven baked chicken tenders with sweet potatoes and he ate about three bites total. Afternoon snack time brought out the fruit snack tray again and again he mostly ate grapes. For dinner tonight they had porkloin,corn on the cob and sweet peas and he picked at his dinner and then a hour later he was at the refrigerator crying and when I opened it he wanted grapes therefore I cut up 5 more grapes for him. Am I supposed to deny my child food ?? Yesterday he didn't eat nearly anything. He has drank 4 cups of water and 3 cups of Elecare today.

Edited to add i probably should clarify by bag I mean a ziploc bag (quart size) half full with grapes that my husband picked out of our vineyard.
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    "A seat belted child has a better chance of only minor injury than one that's not seat belted in if there's an accident. Even though the chances of getting into accidents daily by responsible drivers are slim, you still would seat belt that child even there was no law in effect. Right or wrong?"
    I happen to agree with this, so yes, I would do it. However, there are people who do NOT believe that way--there are people who truly believe that it is better to be thrown clear in an accident than trapped inside the car. Do I have the right to force my beliefs on them?

"Back to the seatbelt. It doesn't guarantee that every life will be saved, but the odds are much better."
    YOU feel the odds are much better, and hence you should be vaccinated and should get your kids vaccinated. I have my doubts about much of the science purporting to show this to be true and thus want the right to decide for myself.

"I don't believe in "giving" money to the government. Unfortunately I'm forced to. If someone had TB and couldn't get medical help in his town, do you think they would let that person seek out help on their own or quarantine them to keep it from spreading to the population? That's pretty much a no brainer, even if it put the person with the virus in jeopardy for their life. "
    Taxes are not quite the same as vaccines. While no one likes to pay taxes, it's not the same as being required to put a substance into your body to change it permanently. I'm not quite sure what the TB remark pertains to, so won't address that.

"Sorry about your job, but if you deal with people who may have weak or weakened immune systems, I could understand why."
    I don't deal with ANYBODY--I work from my home as a medical transcriptionist. I have ZERO patient contact. Llet me say once again that I type reports every day on many, many patients who choose NOT to get the flu vax. Now are those people going to be barred from coming to a clinic or hospital b/c they have not been vaccinated and could be endangering others? I don't think so. Yet they have the right to choose and b/c I happen to work for a healthcare system, even tho I have nothing to do w/patient care, I do not. Patients refuse things every day--they choose not to take a med b/c they don't like the side effects or it's too expensive. They choose not to have a procedure b/c they believe it's too risky. AND THEY HAVE THAT RIGHT. I believe that right extends to vaccines, as a part of health care.

Let me give another example about vaccines here: In my job I find a fair number of people being opposed to the HPV vaccine (human papilloma virus) as they do not want their kids receiving a vax that in the parents' minds conveys greater sexual freedom for their kids. They do not want their kids to receive that vax and they can and do refuse it--never mind that HPV can turn into cervical cancer and kill that kid just as dead as measles or smallpox, albeit further down the road. However, they are not generally opposed to ALL vaccines, just that one, on their personal moral grounds. Are they irresponsible and misguided, or are they following what they believe in their hearts? I may not agree, but it's not my place to say they are wrong and to claim they are endangering me or my kids b/c of their actions, is it?

Anyway--I have said pretty much all I have to say. I will stand by my conviction that for the most part, people generally believe in the needs of the many outweighing the rights of the few as long as they happen to be one of the many. It often looks different when you are on the other side--and I say that as one who is guilty in the past of doing exactly what I am condemning here. I try to take a broader look now.

Thanks to those who shared their thoughts.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I think I remember you saying you have no children so I am not sure how you think you know what a toddler would do. Let me break down my day for you. This morning I cooked my children waffles for breakfast and beside there waffles I served grapes he ate all his grapes and possibly two bites of waffle. At morning snack time I set out a plate with fruit on it and he ate 2 apple slices and about 10 grapes. At lunch time we had oven baked chicken tenders with sweet potatoes and he ate about three bites total. Afternoon snack time brought out the fruit snack tray again and again he mostly ate grapes. For dinner tonight they had porkloin,corn on the cob and sweet peas and he picked at his dinner and then a hour later he was at the refrigerator crying and when I opened it he wanted grapes therefore I cut up 5 more grapes for him. Am I supposed to deny my child food ?? Yesterday he didn't eat nearly anything. He has drank 4 cups of water and 3 cups of Elecare today.

Edited to add i probably should clarify by bag I mean a ziploc bag (quart size) half full with grapes that my husband picked out of our vineyard.

Kind of agree with this. We aren't here to critique parenting skills, esp if we are childless ourselves.
    :flowerforyou:

Edited to add: Just sayin', this is going off the topic of the thread.
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options

I do.

You believe in herd immunity. Are you up to date on vaccinations ?? Are your parents/grandparents ?? I am not being judgemental I am truly interested because if its true that 80% of the population needs to be up to date then I bet we haven't been protected by herd immunity in quite a few years.
  • servilia
    Options

Kind of agree with this. We aren't here to critique parenting skills, esp if we are childless ourselves.
    :flowerforyou:

Edited to add: Just sayin', this is going off the topic of the thread.
    Know what? SHE'S the one who first mentioned her kids don't eat healthy. And I can discuss healthy eating for children whether I have ten of them or none.
  • lor007
    Options
    Breastfeeding makes healthier infants and they grow into healthy adults and teenagers. Breastfeeding alone can reduce the risk of SIDS , Childhood Cancer , Obesity , Allergies and Asthma.

Not that the original topic had anything to do with breastfeeding, but I would like to chime in.

My nephew and daughter were both exclusively breast fed (my daughter for 11 months, my nephew for 6). My nephew passed away from SIDS and my daughter has asthma and eight different food allergies. If I have another child in the future I will still choose to BF for personal reasons, but I am not convinced it is all it is cracked up to be.
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options

Yes I am up to date.
    With all due respect, it doesn't really matter what you believe - you may not believe in it but that doesn't make it unreal. There are also people who believe the earth is flat. Edited to add - although it does matter to the extent that it causes you to make bad decisions..

Thank you for answering the question. I do not think that 80% of the population of the USA is up to date on vaccinations therefore how can I believe we are anywhere near protected by herd immunity? If you could stick to answering questions instead of being judgemental it would be wonderful ! I am not sure if you read my posts but if you did you would know that if I chose to vaccinate my son the chance of him suffering serious injury or even death is quite high therefore are you saying it would be a good decision for me to vaccinate my child ?
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    That woman on the radio was correct.
    We all know that no diseases existed before the 20th Century.
    I hate people that stupid, they make our world a worse place.