Not trying to start a argument but...... somethings really b

Options
Hi all i don’t want to sound mean or to start a negative post but this has been bothering me I’ve noticed that not allot but some people on here seem to be more concerned with peoples spelling and grammar than they do with the question the person is asking and being supportive I have had mine pointed out quite rudely a couple of times and i just don’t get it I am educated i understand full stops, spelling and general grammar but on forums I tend to treat them more like a conversation rather than an essay
I like to type i guess like I’m talking to someone allot of the time there is emotion backing what I’m saying and asking and i don’t really stop to think about a apostrophe and full stop I’m sure that for some people it’s a real pet peeve and hey we all have those but when I read something that annoys me I move on I don’t waste my time and there’s having a silly whinge about it
Anyway just had to get that off my chest and I hope if your one of those people that expects perfection when reading a post that you remember my name and skip over any that I make
To everyone else thanks for reading and I hope you understand

Replies

• meowow
    meowow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Eh, that's just rude. Maybe it makes them feel good about themselves correcting someone. We should be supporting one another, not correcting them on totally irrelevant stuff.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I've never noticed it on here yet. It could be because I'm not in the forum area a lot. But, I'll take your word for it.

If someone is doing that to you just kindly ignore them.. Cute dog by the way!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    some people just have fun trolling.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    On MFP, just as in life, there are a variety of people and in any group, there are bound to be a couple of obnoxious twits that can only make themselves feel better by making someone else feel worse. Ignore them and keep on keepin' on!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    like :)
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    people use this site to improve their physical health, what's wrong with improving your grammar or spelling at the same time? i mean if i was constantly making some kind of grammatical mistake that i was unaware of, i'd appreciate being told. nicely of course :)
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    Is it possible that others are having difficult understanding your posts, and do not intend to be rude? I haven't followed your other posts, so can't know for certain, but perhaps they are meant to be suggestions rather than criticism. I know it was a tad difficult to make out your exact concepts when reading this because there's no grammar or capitalization. While it can seem silly to bother for an informal conversation, it can also make it much easier to understand for readers. So maybe they would like to answer your question, but can't make out what it is, so instead give you suggestions to improve in that area.

Just a thought, make of it what you will!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed the irony in this thread title, and the topic it mentioned... :laugh:

Thing is, in the same way it annoys you when it's pointed out, it annoys me when I read it! I hardly ever actually pull people up on it though :)

It's text speak that really gets my goat,,,"u", "ur" etc. Is it really that hard to type a few extra letters?
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. I hate to see someone asking for help/advice/support only to have some obnoxious twit (twit is not the word I'd use in real life btw) try to tear someone down over spelling and grammar just to make themselves feel better.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    LOL !!! I always wondered why the grammar cops are such prolific posters! Now I get it.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that others are having difficult understanding your posts, and do not intend to be rude? I haven't followed your other posts, so can't know for certain, but perhaps they are meant to be suggestions rather than criticism. I know it was a tad difficult to make out your exact concepts when reading this because there's no grammar or capitalization. While it can seem silly to bother for an informal conversation, it can also make it much easier to understand for readers. So maybe they would like to answer your question, but can't make out what it is, so instead give you suggestions to improve in that area.

Just a thought, make of it what you will!!

^this!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Hey sweetie. . no being here is definitely not about your grammer or punctuation. . That was in school. . So if people are picking on you for it I am sorry. . I can understand being emotional and not paying attn to grammer. . . Don't worry about it though. . We are here for you to support you in your health and fitness goals. . .

Huggles,
    Jade
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i think the issue is that you don'tstopideasfromrunningintoeachother and so it is difficult to understand what you are talking about. you don't have to spell everything perfectly, just use a period every once in a while to indicate that you have completed a thought.
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    I agree with you. You should see how I normally type. I type fast and like to use shortcuts but after I saw a few people getting "corrected", I started typing like a "normal" person, but I hate it, let me tell you. Seriously though, if you can understand what the person is typing, what the hell does it matter HOW they type it??
  • Courtpaige916
    Options
    I think a period or two might be beneficial to help one understand your post. Without any type of punctuation, it is quite difficult to read it. I'm not a stickler for grammar or spelling, but basic proper punctuation is pretty much necessary to make a post comprehensible.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I've seen a bit of that, and I think it's ridiculous. I teach English Language Arts (reading, writing, grammar, spelling, and all the rest of the goodies), and I don't think of a forum such as this as being "formal writing" where these rules apply. Do what works for you and ignore the people who have nothing better to do. For those that get annoyed by poor grammar, try to focus on a few of the following possibilities: 1) the first language of the poster may or may not be English, 2) there ARE different spellings (and even some grammar and syntax rules) that vary from one English-speaking country to another, 3) there might be people on here who struggled when learning these rules (some of them may even have a diagnosed learning disability), 4) when people are flustered and looking for help they might not be thinking about their spelling, grammar, or syntax, and 5) this is a forum and not formal writing therefore the rules of grammar are not a priority.
  • bobbiedr
    bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's text speak that really gets my goat,,,"u", "ur" etc. Is it really that hard to type a few extra letters?

THIS! I do this when I text, but not when I type.

As far as grammar goes, bad grammar and spelling does bother me, but I don't usually tend to point it out on people. I do think there are more important things to worry about, the actual post for example.

One of my biggest pet peeves that I always cringe at is the misuse of their & there. But I won't say anything about it, because I'm not big on correcting other people's grammar...except my kids & husband. :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Iunderstandbeingfrusteratedbecauseofrudenessontheboardbutdamn..itsreallydifficulttounderstandyourposts.

All joking aside, why not take a step to improve the situation by; not complaining, and making an effort to be a bit more clear in your posts. It works both ways, ya know.
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    On behalf of whoever, I apologize for rudeness. You are right, we are here to support, not teach grammer.:flowerforyou:
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    people use this site to improve their physical health, what's wrong with improving your grammar or spelling at the same time? i mean if i was constantly making some kind of grammatical mistake that i was unaware of, i'd appreciate being told. nicely of course :)

Nothing wrong with it at all if that’s something i choose to do but it’s not I’m here for weight loss and support only i can get life criticism else were and when people start to pick out your faults it doesn’t exactly make for a welcoming atmosphere it makes you more self-conscious and less likely to feel confident enough to post it certainly does for me anyway , I think it’s especially sad because most people are here for some kind of fault they have in life and self-esteem issues yet are quite happy to put down others bully syndrome I guess , the other problem is most people aren’t exactly being nice about it they don’t attempt to answer the question or ask what means and i might be Australian but I’m pretty sure most people can understand what I’m saying lol well most of them time sorry if that sounded like a direct attack on your post it wasn’t just trying to help people better understand
This discussion has been closed.