What is your reason for running?

Options

Replies

• kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So I can eat whatever I want!!!! Oh and work my heart too.

haha! This is so me! I love long runs because of all the calories I get to eat!!! I did 6 miles today so I got to double my usual peanut butter intake....YUM!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I got bored with walking, so I started running. Then people told me, "you're so much happier now, you're practically glowing." I realized it was because of the rush I get from running. I love, love, love it now. It's so relaxing to sink into a nice rhythm, listen to the cadence of my breathing, and feel the strength in my stride and just move for the pure joy of moving.

Yes, there's the weight loss aspect, but I sometimes think to myself, "yes! I've lost another five pounds, I wonder how much faster I will be now?" Crazy crazy crazy how I've changed in the past year.
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm starting out... On week 4 of c25k. And to be honest, I like running for a couple reasons...First is that it gives me an excuse to "get away" and listen to some music. But the thing I found out through doing it, is that it makes me feel like I can do other things. I have lost weight before and put it back on because inside I was still the fat girl that didn't think I was capable of keeping it off. I got pregnant during my weight loss and someone said I'd put the weight back on... So I did. Someone said I could never run, or get to a decent weight because I have a huge chest, so I didn't... But I've found that through running, even though I can only do 3 minutes at a time now, that I'm getting stronger. I'm doing something that I believed I couldn't do... And if I can do this, and increase it every week, and get stronger, and leaner, and faster, then I can do anything... Just because someone tells me I can't doesn't make it true. And every time I put on my running shoes and head to the track, I'm reminding myself of that.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    At first, it was because I could only push myself to walk so fast.

I thought, why not try running...I have never run in my life.

Who would have thought I'd love the feel of a run. I know look forward to it and love it.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting the question and for all the answers. I've been trying to talk myself out of a treadmill run all day becasue I'm tired and a miriad of other bullcrap excuses. Wehn I get off work, I'm going for a run. Thank you all for the motivation! :happy:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mostly because I actually enjoy it.

Sometimes it's because of a race planned out, sometimes it's just because I know it's what I have to do to be at the level of fitness that i desire. But most days it's just because I want to run.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My reason for running? If someone is chasing me! :laugh:

But really, I don't run unless it's to save my kids from running into the street or touching something nasty. I find other ways to get my exercise in... running is too rough on my shin splints.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    zombies

Yes - the zombie apocalypse. They can't eat what they can't catch.
  • saraann752003
    Options
    Because I own a German Shepard that drags me on our "walks"...
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Firstly it was because I got bored walking.

Now it's to prove others wrong - fatties CAN run ! I especially liked giving a co-worker a mouthful about how much and how far I can run when she said something about me not knowing anything about some-given-topic. :D

Also because if I get out of bed and slip out of the house to go for the run I'm guaranteed 30 minutes of child-free time to zone out :D
  • narenn
    Options
    Increases endurance, lowers heart-rate over time, works your WHOLE body, and basically the fastest way to burn calories.

P.S. Zombies
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My reason? Just one?!

Ok because is the exercise that makes me feel the better afterwords. It was tough at the start no doubt but now I feel so good after a good run. I'm currently doing 10K's who would have thought when only a 3 or 4 months ago I'd struggle to run 10 yards.
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    Just like meditation, it's a chance to clear my mind... plus nothing makes me feel more at peace than being in nature.
  • emtgirl14
    emtgirl14 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Because it used to be the thing I hated the most. Now I adore it. I love the feeling I get when I'm in "the zone" I love running through awesome scenery and feeling the wind in my face.

It's become a passion and now I try to push myself farther each time. My new goal is a 15k. That's what I'm working towards. And trying to shorten my 5k PR, which is 27:48 right now:) I <3 Running!
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    zombies

This is literally what I'm training for...lol! The Run For Your Lives 5K obstacle course infested with zombies! :)
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    I don't want to be like the girl in the scary movie that can't run and falls down and gets killed!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel strong.
    And capable.
    And reminds me that I can do things that I never thought were possible.

And of course, the more I run the more I can eat :smile:
  • lizluvs3
    lizluvs3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm in a movie when I run outside. Look down at my tennis shoes and see them pounding the pavement and I feel like I'm a star lol. I get a high before I even reach my runners high just becuz I'm running. Totally addicting feeling!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    It used to be "to see if I could"... now it is "Because I can"
    The alone time helps too!

this!

and because i love it! i joined the local running club 2 weeks ago and boy i love it! everyone is crazy good and its a good motivating factor!
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So glad to read others are getting back to running as I. Kudos and woot woot to those that are runners and training runners (like me). I used to run before kids. I want to get back in shape, I know running will help and oh, do I feel good after I run. Running improves my adrenaline and energy level, it also helps me to sleep at night. I sometimes will get the yoga mat out after a run and do some basic stretches as a cool down.

Good luck to everyone. Its rainy here in Raleigh, NC this morning, I'm hoping for a break in the rain cause I want to get in 1.5 mile and push myself a little further. Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons, Summers in NC are just flaming hot, this past Summer was brutal.

Anyone who is beginning running or just needs motivation to run to help with weight loss send me a friend request. I'm sane and don't do drama. I have enough of that in my personal life! :-)