So American peeps - which state are you from and what do you

Options
shoppie
shoppie Posts: 618 Member
I realised after my which state is ME short for thread that I don't really know much about the states at all apart form the states I visited which I have been lucky enough to see a few (New York, Vermont, Rhode Island & Massachusetts on the East and California and Nevada on the West).

So I thought it might be interesting for me and any other non-US peeps to know a little more about individual states, what they are like, good/ bad points etc.

I know its all a matter of perspective!

Replies

• sgratliff
    Options
    Reside in Virginia, a one year retired, school counselor. Virginia has every season, winters are not too bad, summers are great. Congrats, your weight reduction is encouraging. Be true to yourself.
  • gertieblueboots
    Options
    I'm in Georgia. It's hot, lately it doesn't rain, and most of the stereotypes about the people are true!
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm in Maryland, just outside Annapolis, the State Capitol. Winters and Summers are brief here, separated by long, mild Springs and Autumns. I chose to move here from Florida (way too hot & humid year round for me) and before that lived in Chicago (way too cold most of the time).
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I am from Oregon. Oregon has every variety of weather/climate you could wish for somewhere in it.

I have a food cart in Downtown Portland (known for food carts). I make the anti-dieters nemesis every time I help a customer. I sell bacon wrapped chicken wings, bacon wrapped corn dogs, giant burgers and sausages with toppings nobody's thought of before ;D If you ever visit Portland Oregon, I can guarantee food carts are on the list! Seeing the pods (large groups of food carts) is pretty impressive upon first sight. You can try food from all over the world all on a single corner!
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm a Texas girl. I wish Texa has every season! Our main season is summer and it's hot. Sometimes we are lucky and get a 50 degree winter. There is a lot do to here, this state is so big how can we not have a lot to do.
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Michigan, stay at home wife.
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am from New Jersey and a Registered Nurse. I am NOT like the people from the Jersey Shore. No Snooki here.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I am from Philadelphia, PA. I am a retired Radiology Tech. My city is a city of neighborhoods some good and some bad.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Indiana-I work at a non-profit real estate board. You can experience all four seasons in the same week, maybe even the same day. Very flat in the northern half of the state-lots of corn, soybeans and wheat fields. Southern Indiana has a big more rugged terrain, especially in the southwest. Big hills(little mountains) and thick woods. The Indy 500 obviously is our claim to fame and not much else...
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm from Ohio, but recently moved to Texas. Texas is hot, humid, in a drought and we have a multitude of creepy crawly critters that thrive around here....big flying tree roaches that should have their own license plates! Other than that, I love it here...the Gulf is less than an hour away and the winters are mild.

Now for Ohio....hot and humid in the summer....freezing with lots of ice in the winter but beautiful scenery.

Where are you from and what's it like?
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I live in North Carolina, though I am originally from New York. Been here for almost 4 years and love it. We moved to escape the colder winters, although it seems since we moved here the winters have been colder than usual. I think it followed us! North Carolina is awesome because you have the beaches on the east coast and the mountains to the west. We live pretty central to both. Last September we took the kids to the mountains and this past June we went to the beach. There's so much more to see too and can't wait to explore more as the kids get older. The location is also good because we can still drive back to NY to visit our family. It's only 8 hours(well without traffic). In fact we are going up there on Friday. Disney World in Florida is only a 10 hour drive and we plan on doing that in the next couple of years. So, yeah, I love North Carolina! The only drawback is the really hot summers but I rather deal with that than the cold.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Western South Dakota-the Black Hills here. We have Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial and just down the road from Devils Tower in Wyoming. Also home to the world renowned Sturgis Motorcycle Rally each August. We have 4 seasons, almost winter, winter, still winter and construction. Just kidding, winters are a bit long but with nice days scattered just enough that you can get your motorcycle out a couple times each month, depending on your work schedule. No hurricanes, very few tornados (usually small ones if we get them) but we get some good blizzards. Can get really hot in July and August. Clean air and friendly folks.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My father was military, so I've lived in quite a few states. I currently live in South Carolina, which is on the east coast, more to the south.

My stepfather is english, and my mom and younger brother lived there for a number of years. In fact, my younger brother finished his schooling there (what we call high school) at a private school in Edgbaston, Birmingham. He got into an argument one day with an english boy who insisted that there were only 45 states in the US. I get that maybe not all of you know every little detail about our geography...I couldn't say I know all your counties and such. But to argue with an American boy about how many states are in his home country is silly. It was quite heated, I'm told.

There are 50, by the way. Officially.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm a Midwest boy. Lived in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri. Traveled from East to West and West to East. While every state I've seen has its perks and downfalls for locale, weather, sights, events, etc etc I am definitely more at home where I am. I love the Ozark Mountains, the laid back lifestyle, we truly get 4 months of each of the 4 seasons.
  • Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I live in New Hampshire. I love it. Summers are not too hot here, you are withing driving distances or walking to a lot of beaches, driving distance to the ocean, amusement parks along with hiking, National Parks, camping etc. Love fall which includes lots of beautiful colored leaves,fairs, apple picking, harvest festivals, hayrides. Winters are a bit much for some people but I love it. Lots of beautiful white snow for skiing, tubing, building snowmen, ice skating. I love New Hampshire but I really love to travel through all the states by driving. So many are beautiful :)
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm from near Chicago, IL. Beautiful and can-be-extreme weather and seasons. Very flat and surrounded by farm land. I've lived in North Dakota as well. That state HAS extreme weather. Hot and filled with mosquitoes in the summer, and nothing but snow and negative temps in the winter. On the day we moved out from ND, it was -20F. VERY safe place to live but I wasn't a fan of the weather.

Now I'm in England and the weather is bit blah but I prefer it that way. No extremes! :-) Lived in Germany as well. Just gorgeous!
  • SweetStrawberry
    Options
    I'm in good ol' Kansas! I work at a community bank we have branches in Kansas and Missouri.

No, it isn't all farms out here and rednecks. I'm a city girl, dont get me wrong we do have small towns surrounding Wichita and unfortunately they are stereotypical. Wrangler jeans and cowboy boots oh and the guys chew tabacco. Gross!
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Texas gal here, and I am a teacher! 6th grade Engineering.
  • Ashley06118
    Options
    I'm in PA. The joke here is that you can always tell when you cross the state line because we have horrible, pot-holed roads. We have all four seasons, winters are usually pretty snowy, summers arent that bad. I'm living in a different part of PA for college and we get rain all the time, more than lower PA where I'm originally from. We live in a valley, next to a river and were evacuated last week because of the possibility of flood. The levys were built to 40 feet and the water crested at 39 and a half. Scariest time of my life.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm from Northern California. Its a whole 'nother world from Southern California. I live an hour one way from San Francisco and the ocean and another hour from skiing and the snowy mountains. I've lived in South Carolina as well but only a few months. I love California.