So American peeps - which state are you from and what do you

Options

Replies

• Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I realised after my which state is ME short for thread that I don't really know much about the states at all apart form the states I visited which I have been lucky enough to see a few (New York, Vermont, Rhode Island & Massachusetts on the East and California and Nevada on the West).

So I thought it might be interesting for me and any other non-US peeps to know a little more about individual states, what they are like, good/ bad points etc.

I know its all a matter of perspective!

Good ol' OHIO! I live in the middle of Akron and Cleveland.
    It has 4 seasons
    Summer
    Winter
    Still winter
    Damn its still winter.

Its not the worst place but its not the best.
    Down town can be fun theres the browns stadium (went to my 1st game this year)
    Rock and Roll hall of fame.

Lebron left us yep
    Wow i guess i really dont have that much to say about Ohio =/

OH CEDAR POINT!
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am from the capital of the state of Kansas. (does anyone know what it is without looking on a map? haha) The first day of September was 106, and last week it got down to 60 during the day. A saying we have here, "That's Kansas weather for you." I can't remember ever having a 'mild' summer or winter.

I currently got a job as a wellness coordinator and am struggling to get my employees on the band wagon of health and wellness... I went to a presentation about diabetes education last night and the speaker made a great point:

If you were diagnosed with cancer and were told that chemotherapy would give you 80% chance of success, would you do it? The same statisitc applies to exercise and diseases like type II diabetes. Lowering your weight, eating healthier, get MOVING, and stop smoking can all greatly increase your chances of living a longer healthier life if you have been diagnosed with diabetes.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Also from Texas. Austin, to be specific.

Texans are very friendly. In fact, our state motto is "Friendship," and the name of our state comes from an Indian word (tejas), which means "friends." The state is very geographically diverse, with pine trees covering East Texas, beaches on the Gulf coast, hills and plains in the middle, and deserts and mountains in the west. I hate when people say there are no seasons in Texas. Sure, we have long summers and early springs, but we definitely have fall and winter, too. Our winters are just not as extreme.

There is great food to be had all over Texas, though we are probably best known for Tex-Mex and barbecue (beef-based, rather than the pork-based barbecue most other states seem to favor).

Austin is a great city because it's basically the gateway to the Texas Hill Country, which is, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of the state. It is known as the Live Music Capital of the World because of the abundance of venues where you can hear great music (of any genre, be in country, classical, or anything in between) every night of the week, as well as two big music festivals each year (South by Southewst in March and Austin City Limits Festival in September/October). Austinites are very fond of outdoor activities. There are hike and bike trails all over and a huge lake running right though downtown (actually the Colorado River) for water activities. Organic food is a big deal here, too, with lots of farmers markets, as well as the Whole Foods world headquarters downtown. What I love most about Austin, though, is that literally everyone fits in here. Doesn't matter how weird you are, there is someone weirder in Austin.

Bad things ... the only truly unpleasant thing I can think of is the heat in the summer. I don't recall it ever being as bad as it has been this year (made worse by the current drought), but it is always very hot and humid.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Texas among people who have never been here. I still run into adults from other states who ask me ridiculous questions like "Are there churches in Texas?" or "Are there trees or just lots of cactus everywhere?"

Also, if you visit Texas, please do not wear cowboy boots or a cowboy hat unless that is your normal attire. Most people here do not dress like that, contrary to popular opinion, and you will look ridiculous.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am from New Jersey and a Registered Nurse. I am NOT like the people from the Jersey Shore. No Snooki here.
    I just moved from NJ to Michigan and my new coworkers were absolutely sure I was going to show up for work wearing a skin tight animal print dress and a Bumpit.
    If I had known what they expected, I would have done this, complete with bright orange spray tan. A missed opportunity.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Southeast Michigan (lower peninsula)....in the suburbs of Detroit. We have two seasons...winter and 'road construction'...hahaha. Actually, its a great place to live, lots of lakes and great summer boating, fishing, etc.. Plenty to do in winter too, if you can stand the cold!

I work in automotive, like so many people here do!
  • statia152
    Options
    Maine (upper New England) is most beautiful in the fall! Famous for our wild blueberries, Lobster, the miles and miles of coastline and potatoes. LOL It seems to be a favorite vacation area for Presidents! Umm ... Patrick Dempsey *swoon* from the television show Gray's Anatomy is from Maine. In general, we are hard working folks, many farmers, and don't have alot of drama. We are always behind a year or two on the latest fashion trends. We don't all sound like Tim Sample (comedian) and promises are still made with a handshake. While I would love to travel the world, I would never dream of living somewhere else.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Southeast Michigan (lower peninsula)....in the suburbs of Detroit. We have two seasons...winter and 'road construction'...hahaha. Actually, its a great place to live, lots of lakes and great summer boating, fishing, etc.. Plenty to do in winter too, if you can stand the cold!

I work in automotive, like so many people here do!
    It is actually a very nice place to live, the climate suits us. AMAZING summers, even more amazing falls, and I don't mind the long winters. I love the snow and we do get plenty of it. In SW MI, it snows basically every day.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Alabama here!

The good - second most diverse eco-climate in the country - only California has us beat because we don't have a desert. Much too humid. Some of the prettiest beaches are in Gulf Shores.

The bad - corrupt government, racism, intolerance, rampant obesity, plummeting home values, THE HUMIDITY OH MY GOD THE HUMIDITY.

I'd move to North Carolina in a heartbeat! Or Colorado. Or California. I really hate Alabama!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    ♥Texas♥

What is Texas like? Are there actually cowboys and ranches there?? :blushing: :laugh:

yes, I wouldn't say in the populated cities though. Definitely the smaller towns. When I lived in OK, we were 30 minutes from the border of TX, and that area is heavily populated with ranches with longhorns and cowboys. The State Fair and Rodeo is a huge thing for these people!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing for ND, the sense of pride and community the whole state has even if you don't live there anymore. I absolutely loved what Josh Duhamel did for Minot and the flood they had (Black Eyed Peas benefit concert) So awesome!!
  • Dylanzmom
    Options
    San Antonio, Texas. San Antonio is almost like a state within itself. We have Tex Mex food that is SOOOOOOOO GOOD - but its so bad for you. In San Antonio, winters are great! You wear a jacket in the morning and in the afternoon you are in shorts. In the summer, we all spontaneously combust from the heat from HELL!!!!

SO much to do in San Antonio. A bad Mexican resturant will not last a month. A good mexican resturant will barely keep its doors open. You have to be GREAT and cheap to survive here! We have the river walk, the San Antonio Spurs, the Alamo and numerous landmarks to keep tourists happy.

^^^^ what he said!!!

I'm from San Antonio, Texas and I am a caseworker. I work on getting children adopted.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Idaho for the last 7 years. It has more Mormons than Utah and is a very religous state in general. Half of the world's McDonalds french fries come from Idaho. The weather in the southern high desert part is pretty mild but most of the beauty and all of the trees are in the north. Idaho is pretty much 20 years behind most other states in many ways.

Unemployment is a huge problem here along with meth and gang activity. BUT it's very inexpensive to live here even with a 6% tax on EVERYTHING. You can buy a very nice house for under $200,000 in my town.

edited to add: football is the second biggest religion here no joke.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Morgantown Wv :) Where it takes 1-2 hours to get across town when the students are here (WVU).. lol Stay at home mommy to 1 very silly toddler and a cat who thinks he is human. We have all the seasons Fall being the most beautiful and my personal favorite :) ohh.. btw.. i did not marry my brother...lol Northern WV is somewhat normal.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i live in illinois and i dye yarn. but i live in chicago. i don't really know anything about the rest of illinois. chicago is fantastic. great museums, bars, restaurants, theatre, shopping, public transit, architecture, beaches. i love it here. our summers can be quite hot which i don't enjoy (especially since hardly anyone has air conditioning) and our winters are long and colds which i love.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I live in North Carolina, in the central part of the state.

I was born in West Virginia. We moved to Pennsylvania when I was 2. Then, we moved to Oklahoma when I was 14. Moved back here when I was 19 when I married my hubby.

I work in the Regulatory Affairs department of a food flavoring company.
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    Hello.. I am from Pittsburgh, PA. Work in billing at for local municipal sewage plant. Yep.. **** is my life...lol. Alittle about Pittsburgh... well Winters are long / cold / snowy / icy.. miserable. The only good thing about winter is football.. and that is why I love Pittsburgh.. GO STEELERS !!!! Black and Gold .. All The Way !!!! :happy:
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I'm from Mississippi (MS) and aside from being fun to spell, there's not a whole lot to be said about the state! :happy:

Stereotypes I've heard from family and friends outside the area are that everyone here is fat, lazy, uneducated, and racist. I can't speak for the state as a whole, but I'm doing my best to live the opposite of that, and to raise my children on the opposite end of that spectrum as well.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am from New York state.

Not the city. I'm in what is called upstate. Everyone else not not in NYC or long island is upstate. I sit right along the southern part of Pa. but still upstate, crazy huh? I also do not carry a gun, own a 9mm and I am not in gang. Most people from out of state assume I am full of it, and that I live in a giant city, carry a gun, and have to take a taxi or subway everyplace I go. I also do not eat my pretzels out of carts on the street, and no one is pushing around hotdogs. I do still hate the red socks and pretty much don't talk about the Mets, as is required by New York common law.

I'm an IT professional, I am a network administrator for a k-12 school district. Its great having a staff, and working with kids and teachers, but still being able to manage projects.

Let's hear it for the "other" New York--the upstate. No joke; all through college when I said I was from NY, it was "oh it must be so awesome to live in a city like that!"

....No, I'm from upstate New York. I'd never been to the city until after college.

I was born and raised in Rochester, which is a pretty sizeable city between Syracuse and Buffalo. It's home to Kodak Film, which is where most of the men ages 50+ probably started out working before all the layoffs and etc. happened (my dad included). The upstate still has a lot of the Native American names going around, like Canandaigua and Honeoye. One of my favorite things to do to out-of-state friends is have them read signs! Chili is my favorite..."What, like the food, right?"

....No. CHAI-Lai. Like chai tea and lying down. Chai-lai. "That's stupid." Hahaha!

We have all 4 seasons here, plus the 5th season: construction. We often compete with Buffalo for the most snowfall during the winter, but they get more lake effect snow than we do, so it's rather unfair. It is rare for the temperature to be much above 90s in the summer, and fall is always beautiful. There are some great sledding spots, and sometimes spring doesn't know if it's early or not.

There are a few cons; higher taxes (they're highest in my home county, Monroe), increasing gang activity, and not enough Hobby Lobbies. :)

Upstate New York is pretty nice, all around. Other than being a little more than an hour to Niagara Falls, the best perk is that we are close enough to Canada to have Tim Horton's!

Of course, now I live in South Carolina, but I'm a northern girl at heart. ^_^ And I miss Timmy Hoho quite a bit sometimes.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I live near Boston, Massachusetts. We have 4 distinct seasons, which is really nice (except the winters feel extra long!).

I work at a University. Pretty common near the city since there are so many in this area.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Western South Dakota-the Black Hills here. We have Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial and just down the road from Devils Tower in Wyoming. Also home to the world renowned Sturgis Motorcycle Rally each August. We have 4 seasons, almost winter, winter, still winter and construction. Just kidding, winters are a bit long but with nice days scattered just enough that you can get your motorcycle out a couple times each month, depending on your work schedule. No hurricanes, very few tornados (usually small ones if we get them) but we get some good blizzards. Can get really hot in July and August. Clean air and friendly folks.

Forgot to add, I am the 'HR department of one' for a company that converts motorcycles to 3 wheeled trikes.