So American peeps - which state are you from and what do you

Options

Replies

• RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I currently live in AZ but originally from Southern California I work for a software company
  • LeSsOvMe
    Options
    Forget to mention: PA has Hershey Park :D

I went there when I was young. I have family in Frackville. :)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Also from Texas. Austin, to be specific.

Texans are very friendly. In fact, our state motto is "Friendship," and the name of our state comes from an Indian word (tejas), which means "friends." The state is very geographically diverse, with pine trees covering East Texas, beaches on the Gulf coast, hills and plains in the middle, and deserts and mountains in the west. I hate when people say there are no seasons in Texas. Sure, we have long summers and early springs, but we definitely have fall and winter, too. Our winters are just not as extreme.

There is great food to be had all over Texas, though we are probably best known for Tex-Mex and barbecue (beef-based, rather than the pork-based barbecue most other states seem to favor).

Austin is a great city because it's basically the gateway to the Texas Hill Country, which is, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of the state. It is known as the Live Music Capital of the World because of the abundance of venues where you can hear great music (of any genre, be in country, classical, or anything in between) every night of the week, as well as two big music festivals each year (South by Southewst in March and Austin City Limits Festival in September/October). Austinites are very fond of outdoor activities. There are hike and bike trails all over and a huge lake running right though downtown (actually the Colorado River) for water activities. Organic food is a big deal here, too, with lots of farmers markets, as well as the Whole Foods world headquarters downtown. What I love most about Austin, though, is that literally everyone fits in here. Doesn't matter how weird you are, there is someone weirder in Austin.

Bad things ... the only truly unpleasant thing I can think of is the heat in the summer. I don't recall it ever being as bad as it has been this year (made worse by the current drought), but it is always very hot and humid.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Texas among people who have never been here. I still run into adults from other states who ask me ridiculous questions like "Are there churches in Texas?" or "Are there trees or just lots of cactus everywhere?"

Also, if you visit Texas, please do not wear cowboy boots or a cowboy hat unless that is your normal attire. Most people here do not dress like that, contrary to popular opinion, and you will look ridiculous.
    Fond memories, lived just outside of Austin, on Lake Austin during early 70's. Miss the swimming, music, tex mex, catfish and bars.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    North Dakota!
    no trees except for shelter belts

Katie -- what are shelter belts?? Funny how little we know about our own places...

Been there, seen that LOL
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I live in central Illinois. It's flat and boring and there's no opportunity's here. All i know is i most definitely do not want to live here for the rest of my life ;)

Lived in Port Huron,Michigan for a year....such a beautiful and lively place to live. I might like to go back there except for the harsh winters.
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Houston, Texas and it is HOT here! We seem to be slowly recovering from a drought. I am originally from NJ though; been here for 5 years next month. I am an accountant (BORING)!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Chesapeake, east coast of VA, originally from Va. Beach. I sit on my butt and do office work all day.

We eat, sleep and live hockey. Let's Go FLYERS!!! :)
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Nebraska - surely I can't be the only person from the Cornhusker State on MFP?!?! I am from the central part of the state, which is the heart of farming and ranching country. According to some, we are all rednecks and hillbillies (or something like that) but mostly we live and let live....and provide food to all those living in the cities around the world. I am a grant writer for a community college.

I have lived in Omaha, NE, Denver and Kansas City, but chose to move back to rural Nebraska to raise my children. The downside is that we do not have all the cultural offerings that a large city provides, but we are just a few hours from Omaha, Denver and KC, if we want to access those things. Another con is that you do have to like to drive because it is a long ways to everywhere. Granted my commutes to work in KC and Denver were just as long timewise, but less than half the distance. I currently have a 35 mile drive to work that takes me about 40 minutes - and only one stop light to impede my progress.

The pros are probably too numerous to mention. I love the rural lifestyle. I am able to have an affordable small acreage where I keep horses and grow a garden every summer. I know all of my neighbors, even though the nearest is about a mile away. And yes, they do know most of my 'business' and I know their;s, but I really don't mind....to me that only means that I don't have to call when I need something, they just show up. The weather can be extreme sometimes, but we also get a lot of pleasant days, just like most places I would guess.

And of course the biggest benefit - Cornhusker football - it's not a sport in this state, its a religion (and I am not even a sports fan, really)
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    I am from New Jersey and a Registered Nurse. I am NOT like the people from the Jersey Shore. No Snooki here.

that made me laugh!!!! love it!!! :laugh:
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    ♥Texas♥

What is Texas like? Are there actually cowboys and ranches there?? :blushing: :laugh:

There really is cowboys and ranches!! I actually saw a man in the store the other day with boots and spurs on!!
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm a Texas girl. I wish Texa has every season! Our main season is summer and it's hot. Sometimes we are lucky and get a 50 degree winter. There is a lot do to here, this state is so big how can we not have a lot to do.

^ I've always wanted to visit Texas!!

< -- I live in Colorado. Grew up in Baltimore (Maryland). Will be moving to California (probably LA) next summer. I'm a business system analyst. basically, im a geek five days a week. :laugh:
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Move down here! Southern Indiana/Louisville, KY being represented!

I live in a weird part of the state (IN) that is called Kentuckiana. Seriously, it makes no sense unless you live here. We stole all the hills from the North and created hills and knobs (yes, "knobs" - get your minds out of the gutter :wink: ) for beautiful drives. I'm in the Ohio River Valley area, which means we get about 70-90% humidity all the time with all seasons - which you may experience all in the same week. We've also got a good music scene that's constantly on the rise, along with retstaurants, museums, etc. In Louisville, we have a six-story bat (Louisville Slugger!) that can be seen from different parts of the city, and probably from planes, too. We're a huge hub for college sports with U of L, UK, WKU, IU, and Butler mong others, being followed with pure passion.

Great place to visit! (Just don't look for me, I'm moving to CO in two weeks :laugh: )

^ you are officially a Hoosier. If you live in Indiana.... you are a Hoosier (and usually won't wave thank you at people for letting you get in front of them :grumble: ) jk
    Kentucky here!
    Kentucky is amazing, abosutely beautiful and amazing:heart: . Louisville is a very diverse and culturally inclined city. KY has a wide range from cities to small rural towns, not to mention some great lakes (Rough River Lake, whoop whopp!). The season's are gorgeous. We have nice warm (80's) summers that lend themself to riding horses, wakeboarding, and summer concerts. Not to mention some southern summer barefoot blue jean nights. :happy:
    Fall is so nice. At night you can wear jeans and a hoodie and be perfectly fine. It is the best kind of weather to sit on the porch at night and just listen to the crickets/enjoy the night. Late fall is great bonfire weather, yum marshmallows!!! :love:
    Winter always produces some snow. If you want more you can go up to IN and snowboard up there. Winter is cold but usually down to the 30's and not colder unless we get some cold snap.
    Spring comes around in March/April and the landscape is breathtaking. The new trees and flowers, the dogwoods and redbuds in bloom on the rolling hills. The great smell of honeysuckle when you take your horse out for the your first spring ride.:flowerforyou: All the new wildlife coming out to discover their surroundings. Not to mention the Kentuckky Derby that attracts people from all around the world to come visit our great city of Louisville at the historic Chirchill Downs Racetrack. What can I say, I loved growing up in KY and will hopefully call it home forever.
    I'm a veterinary student taking up resident in Alabama right now and not the the landscape isn't pretty but I sure do miss my old Kentucky home
    ::breaks out in singing the song My Old Kentucky Home::
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm in Idaho and I'm a student. You have a lot of technical type jobs here. We live in a mountain area so going skiing is only about half an hour away. We get all four seasons and it's typically not humid here. Most people here do stuff outside and we don't have that big of a public transportation system due to our low population.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm in Sacramento, the capital of California. Although our taxes are high and there's not a lot to do here, I love California and couldn't imagine leaving. It's warm in the summer (90s-100) and mild winters (mostly just rain). We're about an hour and a half from San Francisco and 2 hours from Reno.

I've been to SC to visit and it was soo humid and had the worst pollen ever.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    ATL GA
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I am a military wife I am from Rhode Island, but have lived in Virginia for 3 years then to Maine/New Hampshire for a year and now live in Connecticut. Hubby is from TX and is in the navy so we move a lot lol
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm from Utah...yes, I know, you're sorry...ha ha. Yes Utah has the huge Mormon population, and very bizarre liquor laws! It snows a lot here, this year it snowed into June...sucked!!! We usually have a nice fall, harsh winter, no spring and sometimes summer...this summer got off to a late start, but wasn't overly hot. We broke 100 degrees once! But you never know what the weather will do, you can have all 4 seasons in one day! Our recreation is very diverse...you have the mountains which if you ski is the best snow on earth, and in the summer provide excellent camping/hiking/fishing. If you go to southern Utah, you have the beautiful red rock deserts! We have lots of National Parks here...definitely worth seeing...just don't get discouraged when you have a difficult time ordering a drink! ha ha :laugh:
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I am from New Jersey and a Registered Nurse. I am NOT like the people from the Jersey Shore. No Snooki here.

^ THANK GOD! :laugh:
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Alabama here!

The good - second most diverse eco-climate in the country - only California has us beat because we don't have a desert. Much too humid. Some of the prettiest beaches are in Gulf Shores.

The bad - corrupt government, racism, intolerance, rampant obesity, plummeting home values, THE HUMIDITY OH MY GOD THE HUMIDITY.

I'd move to North Carolina in a heartbeat! Or Colorado. Or California. I really hate Alabama!

That's not a very fair way to portray Alabama:huh: I have been down here for fall, part of winter, spring, and part of summer for 2 years now. The landscape is pretty. I visited NE alabama near Sand Rock and loved the environment. We went deer hunting, shot guns, and rode the horses over the fresh snow (yes I know how stereotypical that sounds). A lot of my friends down here are extremely in shape. Granted I am centered around Auburn University but I see people running all day, everyday, not to mention the people biking on the roads.
    The humidity isn't even that bad. I know it gets hot down here but the humidity down here isn't nearly as bad as the humidity I have to deal with up in KY.
    Plus while I have experienced some racist and some intolerance most people are not like that.:angry: Almost everyone down here is friendly and extremely cordial.:flowerforyou: You can find some true southern gentlemen down here as well as some southern belles so I guess some stereotypes are true. I think alabama is very nice.
    The only problem I have is that my accent has gotten thicker and my friends from KY start picking on me because I sound a little different but other than that I haven't had any major problems. :happy:
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    St Louis, MO. Gateway to the west. We have all 4 seasons. I am a bigger fan of summer than winter. Spring and Fall are so so beautiful. Like I saw in the TN post-- don't like the weather here.. just wait a few minutes. :) Have lived in the South also. Things I love about both. St Louis-- the biggest small town around --

Work: I work in Telecommunications. Same company for 26 years. :)