Is Flirting REALLY Harmless?

quichebradford
quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
edited October 2 in Chit-Chat
I’ve heard people say, “I'm a harmless flirt”…but is there really such a thing?

What if the person being flirted with takes it seriously?

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    yes. Flirting is harmless and does NOT imply commitment in any way. IF someone takes it the wrong way, that's THEIR problem and not mine.
    Best not to flirt with desperate, insecure people but they're not gonna change who I am
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    im not sure....i've had guys take me being nice as an invitation....they usually go too far.
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    I think there is a very fine line.. and flirting is natural, we all crave attetnion and bounce of others reactions etc. But its about not taking it too far- always think if my significant other etc were in front of me would i feel guilty or weird? As long as you are never inappropriate and misleading its fine :)
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    DeenaSteelerGirl Posts: 421 Member
    Harmless ... definately.
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    I feel flirting is good for self esteem (both sides).

Still, if it is mistaken for a "come-on" perhaps the person flirting needs to lighten up a little.

:)

-Rain
  • HARMLESS!!!!:tongue:
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    depends

but if you're in a relationship there is a rule...

If them doing what you are doing would upset you, it's wrong.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Call me old-fashioned, but I think flirting is not acceptable if you are married. I believe sex isn't the only way to cheat. You can have an emotional affair that starts with simple flirting. What starts out as harmless exchange of words or looks can quickly change to more. I think a lot of cheating probably starts with non-chalaunt flirting.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Short answer, no.

Not in my world anyway.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I think flirting is not acceptable if you are married. I believe sex isn't the only way to cheat. You can have an emotional affair that starts with simple flirting. What starts out as harmless exchange of words or looks and quickly change to more. I think a lot of cheating probably starts with non-chalaunt flirting.

^ that has a lot to do with why I don't feel it is harmless

If you're single, then whatever. But if you're in a relationship, it's a total no-go.
  • Flirting is harmless. You can't control how others react to it. But yeah I think flirting is harmless and lots of fun!
  • Flirting is harmless....Everyone does it.

It is definitely a self esteem booster when you get flirted with...and as long as you are not crossing the line, it is innocent.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Now, if you are flirting to make someone feel better, then, I'd say yes. If you are flirting with intent to take it further, no, If the flirting does go further, i.e. emotionally connected with said flirt and/or physical contact, definitely NO. Never. Also, if you flirt openly and your significant other knows about it, one thing, but if you do it secretly, like you have something to hide, big flashy warning signals should go off as a big no no.

It can be harmless if you know your boundaries and do not cross them. What do you think?
  • I don't think flirting in itself hurts anyone....so...

HOW YOU DOIN???:bigsmile:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Flirting is harmless UNLESS it invites action.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Slippery slope. It can be harmless - unless it makes someone else feel crummy, like yoru significant other.

When I was unattached, I think it was harmless and fun. But now - I try really hard NOT to flirt and give someone the wrong impression.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    I use to feel it was harmelss until an event happen and i realized it is very harmful. What good could from it. Whether you feel or know it you are being dierespectful to your signficant other/spouse or the other persons signifiacnt other/spouse. Now if both parties are single go for it but if you are involved or the other person is involved it is not right. So signle on both sides go for it and enjoy it but if attached no it is toxic and harmful
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Some flirting is harmless, some isn't.
  • Sometimes it can be really hard to read, and easily misunderstood.

For example, a guy at my local coffee shop and I have had a flirty-type thing going for a few months, and recently that has progressed into me getting free coffee. The catch is, I'm pretty sure he's in a commited relationship. I can't figure out the right way to ask, and I am attracted to him. My wallet is also enjoying the free coffee (though my waistline isn't loving the cream!) I'm not positive that it's genuine, interest based flirting on his part, or if we both just have that personality, and if the free coffee thing is just a total disrespect for his job.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I think there's harmless flirting, but not all flirting is harmless.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Harmless.....What would life be without flirting....DULL!!....If you are unsure of the persons advances...Be like me ....just be straightup....Let them know your just playing....If they continue to take it serious....and you feel they are attaching....its your job just back off.......well at least thats what I do....if they harbor feelings for you.....How they heck are you supposed to know....I Say YES!!!! to flirting I support the flirtation movement
This discussion has been closed.