Spouse apathy towards weight loss

Options
How do you all deal with a spouse who isn't really interested in your weight loss?

Replies

• otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight but don't talk about it with the spouse.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Bring home a fit young woman .... JK

There is nothing you can do, people will not change until they are ready to change, all you can do is be a good model of behaviour and if they see it working for you they may change their tune.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    You eat them, problem solved lol! :devil:
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    If you're the one cooking then I bet that apathy changes fast ;)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I long ago came to the conclusion that no one is ever going to be as interested in you as you are in yourself, so I have never expected anyone else to have any interest in my weight loss. Or dress sense, or anything else, really. In fact, I am always rather baffled when people DO comment on those things.

If you live life with the basic premise that most people just aren't that interested, you avoid the disappointment when they aren't. I am not saying that in a fatalistic way. They really aren't.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You could get all fit and sexy anyway, and when they show interest in your new physique, go:
    "Duh nu nu nu...nu nu...nu nu....CAN'T TOUCH THIS"

Booyah!
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I tell him to shove it. He complains that he's sick of hearing me talk about calories or tells me that he doesn't think I need to lose anymore weight. Carlorie counting has become a big part of my life and I'm proud of it because I sucked at it for so many years. And if he doesn't like the way I look after I lose more weight than thats his own issue. I think I'll be beautiful and that's all that matters :)
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Ouch. Find out why!!! That is a pretty important part of your life and you should be sharing the journey to good health.
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bring home a fit young woman .... JK

There is nothing you can do, people will not change until they are ready to change, all you can do is be a good model of behaviour and if they see it working for you they may change their tune.

LMAO! I say just keep at it and use us here on mfp for your support system......... betting she'll be interested when she see's more women checking ya out ;)
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You could get all fit and sexy anyway, and when they show interest in your new physique, go:
    "Duh nu nu nu...nu nu...nu nu....CAN'T TOUCH THIS"

Booyah!

HAHAHA, LOVE THIS!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I personally have just come to realize that my spouse is not in the same point in his life or frame of mind as I am. I've gotten to a place where I know that I have to start losing weight or it's going to mean serious health and emotional problems in the future. Sometimes all you can do is remind them that no matter what, losing the weight is important to you and that if they'd support you that would be great, but you're doing it regardless. Losing weight is about helping yourself, even if the ones closest to you don't understand or care.

Hope this helps. :)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    How do you all deal with a spouse who isn't really interested in your weight loss?

HAH! When I first started this, my hubby would ask me what I was cooking for dinner. I would tell him roast chicken and veggies. And he would ALWAYS tell me, "well that doesn't sound good." So I ended up making myself a separate dinner. Then he wanted to know why our grocery bill was so high and why I was throwing away so much food. I told him it was because I made a healthy meal for myself and refuse to eat the crap food. So he says that he wants to eat healthy and asks me what's for dinner. Roast chicken and veggies. It still doesn't sound good so I told him that Burger King was right down the street and I refused to cook for him.

Now he's on board. He eats what I cook and he's lost 30 lbs.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Quit talking about it?

Mine doesn't give a rat's *kitten* about the logging and calorie counting but he does like

- that I do all the cooking so that I know what we're eating
    - that I am looking better and better
    - that MFP occupies some of my time so that I leave him alone

:tongue:
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are not getting support. I don't know what I would do without the help of my husband.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My husband is uninterested in my weight loss and I have to admit it stings a little. I've made a huge lifestyle change, I eat healthy, I work out daily - hard - and nothing from him. His only comment has been that I was fine before but if I am happier now, fine, too, whatever......sigh.

He's been skinny and fit his whole life. He has no idea.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight but don't talk about it with the spouse.

This. Really this is your weight loss journey, not theirs, so own it and don't worry about whether or not they celebrate with you. Even though I squeeled with every pound shed my hubs didn't do cartwheels everytime I came home with the good news, and that's okay. When he complained about time, I got frustrated, accomodated him for a week, and then returned to my schedule because I have to own what's in my mirror and let him own what's in his. He's giving mfp a shot, and I'll support him, but again that's his thing not mine (okay, if he tells me his progress I'll probably do cart wheels for him, get really excited, and put on a cheerleading uniform, but that may be tmi).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Why would you need to do something about it?
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try to find out why. You need to determine if your spouse is potentially going to try to sabotage you (whether intentionally or not.)

I can't even imagine having to deal with this. :(
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Do it anyways and sometimes they will follow. My boyfriend was not interested at first and still is not as serious about it.

He started to chose places when we go out to eat where he knows there will be a healthy alternative for me. He also allows me to chose what we eat for dinner now too, instead of making two separate dinners. :)

Now, he texts me all the time to ask how many calories are in the things he is eating at work. :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It used to drive my husband crazy when I spent so much time running & exercising...UNTIL I changed my eating habits & the pounds started dropping off. I am no longer his WIFE, I am his GIRLFRIEND. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And I have power behind the punch now. LOL