McDonalds......unavoidable

Options
So I knew the day would come where it would look like I had no choice other than to dine at McDs. I have done really well keeping away from this junk for over three months, but today I am attending a birthday party for my neice there with my kids, right at dinner time.

Wondering what others do in this situation? Do you avoid eating while others are, or is there something you can actually order on their menu that is considered healthy? I thought about pre-eating before I went there as well, then follow up with some healthy snacks later. Or having a late lunch and even later dinner.

It took quite a bit of will power to kick the fast food addiction, and I'm doing really well with my nutrition now. Don't want to slide back. Just not worth it.

Replies

• twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Take your own? That way you get to eat with everyone else while still feeling good about your choices. Or before ordering anything ask for a nutrition sheet...it'll show what the best options are!
  • martina123321
    Options
    McDonalds do grilled chicken salads and you can choose to leave the dressing, thats what I do :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go and then get the Fruit and Walnut Salad. Not a great choice, but there aren't any great choices there.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Look up online their menu and make a choice off of that, I personally refuse to let my weight loss be a part of my social life. I do make better choices when dining out, but I never turn down an invitation. And don't bring your own food, that'd look silly.
  • echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Can you look on their website and see what will fit into your calorie allotment for the day? Or save enough calories so that you can eat what you want?
  • fitnfreeme
    fitnfreeme Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I ate there yesterday for the first time since I started myfitnesspal. I ate a double cheeseburger no cheese (so a double hamburger), which was delicious and only 320 calories. For me, that was worth it. I also ordered a small fry with the plan to eat only half, but they tasted so crappy I gave up on them after two or three bites. McDonalds didn't break my day. I encourage you to read the nutrition labels and decide in advance what YOU feel is worth it. Maybe nothing. If so, bring your own or do whatever you want. Good luck and have fun!
  • Rhayne05
    Options
    Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits are 160 calories WITH the granola, and they're yummy. I agree with Martina, try a grilled chicken salad with a low fat Italian (they're usualy low calorie too). Also, Grilled Chicken Wrap, no cheese with Barbeque sauce add extra veggies is only around 220 calories!

Yes, i've had to do my research! :)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Get a hamburger (250) and a fruit yogurt parfait (160)

Here's the nutrition info:

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf
  • docHelen
    Options
    avoid the chips, but the burgers aren't quite as bad as you might have thought, check out the calories on the website before you go, make ou choiice and stick to it. just have one small thing and enjoy it.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I used to eat fast food quite often but even then, McD's was my least favorite. Their food sucks for the most part! Unhealthy, and not even tasty! So, sorry you're in this predicament. But you can make wise choices even still. Check out their nutrition facts online. The yogurt parfait isn't bad. Even a 4pc chicken nugget really isn't that horrible. They have salads. Grilled plain chicken.

It can be done!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Don't bring your own food. That is tacky and rude. Plus the manager might ask you to leave because most restaurants don't allow food from outside to be brought into their restaurant.

They do have salads and apples. Check out their wraps in the nutritional guidelines. You could get them without sauce...

Good luck!
  • alexappleton
    alexappleton Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

I'm pretty sure I won't be bringing my own meal, I'd feel kind of strange doing that. I'll have a look at their nutrition sheet online to try and pre determine what, if anything, is ok to eat. Just being in the place will tempt alot of cravings so I'm looking forward to that challenge.
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken salad is pretty good. only use half of the dressing and no crutons.
  • mjohnson020
    Options
    The grilled chicken sandwiches are a healthy choice. Or I always get a snack wrap with no cheese or sauce, then dip it in the buffalo nugget sauce sparingly. You can find something healthy on your menu without having to sit at the party being the only one not eating!
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    McDonalds do grilled chicken salads and you can choose to leave the dressing, thats what I do :)

The Asian salad with grilled chicken is awesome! I only use about half of the dressing. Also fruit and walnut salad, fruit and yogurt parfait, grilled chicken sandwich with no sauce and no bun, and sugar free vanilla iced coffee. All are not high in calories.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Just eat before you go, I say. I've always found McDonald's to be absolutely disgusting, though, so I'm biased. :tongue:
  • techymum
    Options
    McDonald's has a really good nutritional calculator, take a few minutes to check it out before you go. I know in Canada McD's is working hard to re-brand themselves, and I actually wasn't aware until right now that they actually have some decent choices. I would probably pick an entree salad, and a light dressing to go with it. Have water for a drink. Just be sure and have a piece of birthday cake - no diet is worth not celebrating a special day :-)
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would say a grilled chicken salad, fruit and yogurt parfait or order a kids meal. I know a lot of people that order a kids meal because it gives them their fix, but at a reasonable quantity. Good luck!
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thare are great choices at Mcdonalds! Grilled chicken, yogurt, apples, salad , tea , coffee, diet soda, water and some even have soup! Go in with the right mind set and order appropriate choices. Everyplace has something healthy , you just have look for it.
  • achasnis
    achasnis Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The "new" improved Premium Grilled Chicken Sandwiches really aren't that bad for you!!! If I MUST get McDonalds, I always opt for that. I realize it is not as healthy as making chicken at home, but for me it's also a choice I can make that I know will actually keep me fuller longer than getting anything else from there. I get the Classic (so no cheese, no bacon, etc) I ask for it WITHOUT the mayo, but add mustard for flavor.....

I do know the nutrition facts on the site for that sandwich the original way are: 380 cal, 9 g fat. And I do know that if I subtract the mayo, and eat it on only one bun, I am doing my self ALOT better calorie and fat wise.