McDonalds......unavoidable

Options

Replies

• mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I would order a cheeseburger kids meal with a diet coke. I think it is a combined 455 calories.

And then you even get a toy!
  • girlypop
    Options
    Good for you for kicking the fast food habit but honestly you can find healthy options there. Take a look at the nutrition in advance, it's available online, and pick an option that seems better than the other options. So maybe not the big mac but they do some good salads, leave the croutons, or even there snack wraps are pretty good. hope all is well.
  • mondeflottant
    mondeflottant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When i wasn't veggie, I used to take a Happy Meal ! Plus you get a toy ^^

Hamburger - Small fries - Diet Coke -
    Serving Size: 1 meal, Calories: 480, Fat: 20g, Carbs: 60g, Protein: 15g
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I always wonder how many calories I should log for just walking into McDs to use the bathroom. ;)
  • mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I get a happy meal with a hamburger and apple dippers (no carmel). Salad is always good.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Their salads are really good, and if you take off any chips and/or dressings, they are suprisingly low in calories.
  • Jycooper
    Options
    personally i like mcdonalds. I eat mcdonalds a lot. Its all in what you order. I ususaly get a side sald w/ low fat italian dressing and only use hald of the dressing. I also eat the grilled chicken snack wrap w/ no sauce, apple dippers w/o carmel sauce, fruit and maple oatmeal, grilled chicken sandwich w/o mayo, just lettuce and tomato.
  • JulieBowe
    JulieBowe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    get the salad and take your dressing in your purse. that's what I do!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You don't even need to take your own dressing or eat one of their salads without any dressing at all (ew). Just get one of the lower calorie dressings (say, the Renee's Asian Sesame dressing) and use half the packet. The packets are huge anyways. The Asian Sesame one is 130 calories for the whole packet, and 65 calories for half. Combine that with the Spicy Thai Chicken salad with grilled (not cripsy) chicken (which is 230 calories even with those little whole wheat crisped noodles that come in the separate package) and you've got a filing dinner for 295 calories. Way under what most of my dinners I make at home come to, even, haha. Hey... maybe I should eat at McDonald's more often... :laugh:
  • scleesh
    scleesh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have kids so I have to eat there from time to time. LOL I eat a grilled chicken sandwich plain. nothing but chicken and bread and I eat the apples instead of fries. Total Calories is 335. I know the sodium isn't the best but it's not bad for Mcdonalds. The parfaits are good too. 6 nuggets are 280 calories as well. The paper in the bottom of their trays have all nutritional info on the back. Just FYI if you don't have time to look it up on the net. Just ask for one of those. You can compare everything. Good Luck and enjoy the party!
  • 500daysofshelby
    Options
    I've pretty much dropped fast food from my diet, except for Subway. I haven't eaten McDonald's in maybe 7 months, I ate so much of it as a little girl so part of that is probably the reason I was always pudgy and chubby as a kid.

I'd try and eat a good sized snack before hand that'll fill you up a little, and then follow it up later when you get there with their grilled chicken sandwich (you can take the buns off and just eat the chicken and whatever comes on it) without the fries (the absolute worst thing on their menu, and absolute devils to digest normally) possibly substitute in their apples slices, and a good sized water to help fill you up a long the way.

Fast food is everywhere, it's convenient and cheap, it's ok to have a little every once in a while, you just need to control what you eat and how much. Have fun! (:
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My only concerns with grilled chicken at fast food places are that they use the same grill that had the burger grease on it as they do the grilled chicken, and they don't clean it afterwards...so it's all just soaking up into the grilled chicken. At least, I know Sonic does that, as well as a couple of other places. Does McDonalds? I have no idea. It may just be me being paranoid...but just seeing grease makes me queasy. :noway:

it's on the same station but not the same side, and the grilled chicken is cooked in a ring so the greese from the burgers dont get in.

not all mcdonalds have enough room for 3 grills, but if they do, it's for the chicken. if not, the 2nd grill- one half for chicken and the other half for angus/quarter

Ahh, okay. I know I used to get a grilled chicken wrap from Sonic, until my friend who worked there told me to keep dreaming if I thought I was eating healthy, because they put it right overtop an uncleaned station with burger and fried chicken grease on it. It's kinda helped me steer clear of fast food altogether, with the exception of Chick-Fil-A, where I used to work, so I know what goes on in those.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Karg missed eating many mealz in Karg life. Karg not dead yet.

Karg say just no eat dat meal if dat meal worrie. Karg pretty sure yoo be Okeez!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go and treat yourself to a vanilla cone as a treat...
    or they serve their fruit oatmeal all day long...I love that :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    In this thread: Food snobs act like they never leave the house for a meal.
    Not to mention that people that give their biased opinion on McDonald's (disgusting and nasty are two) are indirectly insulting people who may have it in their weekly or occasional food accounting. Nothing like the food police. Ironically they're on here because they haven't figure out how to eat right either.

This. So much this.

That nutrition calculator is great! I just found out that my old, and now occasional, meal of 9 nuggets, large fries, and medium diet coke is 839 cal. That's about the same as my current dinners now! So if i do go to McDs, my overall calorie count will be roughly the same! :D
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    I would go for the wraps,I would normally get a chilli chicken or a spicy veg wrap with a side salad instead of fries for a meal option, or a grilled chicken salad, little bit of dressing for flavour. Not too bad calorie wise,but just watch cos the sodium can be 35-40%

As far as cooking in the same grease as burgers, son works in mcd's part time and they have different areas for cooking beef patties and chicken.

The good thing about mcdonalds is they have nutrional info on EVERYTHING readily available, so you can plan before you go, if only other restaurants would follow!
  • Yes, I agree. Most food establishments highly frown on people bringing their own eats. Even 9 months pregnant, I once brought my own milk to a mongolian grill that didn't serve milk, and the waitress didn't let me live it down.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I refuse to let my weight loss keep me from social occassions or enjoying the food. What I do make is intelligent choices. Check the nutritional guide, but a grilled chicken salad with low cal dressing is always a good choice or the fruit parfait. Go and enjoy the party....the people and socialize. The party is about the people and occassion....not the food.

Pam aka Cherubcrnp
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go and then get the Fruit and Walnut Salad. Not a great choice, but there aren't any great choices there.

Sure there are - order Grilled Chicken Patties off the ala carte menu (tell the cashier that it's on the salad menu.) Calories: 120 Protein: 22 Carbs: 2 Fat: 2. I will often order 5-8 per meal while I'm out on the road on tour. (some McD's charge $1 some $1.50 per patty, pretty cheap protein source.)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go and then get the Fruit and Walnut Salad. Not a great choice, but there aren't any great choices there.

Sure there are - order Grilled Chicken Patties off the ala carte menu (tell the cashier that it's on the salad menu.) Calories: 120 Protein: 22 Carbs: 2 Fat: 2. I will often order 5-8 per meal while I'm out on the road on tour. (some McD's charge $1 some $1.50 per patty, pretty cheap protein source.)

I will probably be called a food snob for this one, but . . . if being hypervigilant about what I put in my body makes me a food snob, I'm okay with that.

Anyway, I won't buy / eat meat from any fast food place. The sourcing practices and ingredient lists scare me.

New Grilled Chicken Fillet

Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor, sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).