McDonalds......unavoidable

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Like mentioned before I would say look at the menu online beforehand, and remember that low calories does not always mean 'healthy'. I'm sick of them saying that a 4 piece chicken nugget is good for kids.
    Neither is TV or video games or ice cream. Eating healthy doesn't ensure health. You can moderate just about any food (processed or not) in your diet, exercise and get your essentials and be fine. I've ate chicken nuggets since grade school (as well as many of my patron clients) and have suffered any ill effects from it.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    So I knew the day would come where it would look like I had no choice other than to dine at McDs. I have done really well keeping away from this junk for over three months, but today I am attending a birthday party for my neice there with my kids, right at dinner time.

Wondering what others do in this situation? Do you avoid eating while others are, or is there something you can actually order on their menu that is considered healthy? I thought about pre-eating before I went there as well, then follow up with some healthy snacks later. Or having a late lunch and even later dinner.

It took quite a bit of will power to kick the fast food addiction, and I'm doing really well with my nutrition now. Don't want to slide back. Just not worth it.

I LOVE McDonalds! Man their french fries are the bomb! I enjoy their BigMacs, Chocolate shakes and their apple pies! mmmmm DEE-LI-CIOUS!!

So I avoid it like a plague!!

With that being said there's a little thing called WILLPOWER. You've gotta use it today. You can easily order something like a chicken bacon ranch salad. Or better yet eat before you go and just drink WATER.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Well Pre-Eating is always an option and taking snacks and stuff with is to but if you wanna get something there Go to the McD's website and per order your meal so to speak you can build a combo on there site and get Fat, Calories, carbs, Ect on there they have a nutrition section that can be used and you can do that and see what your in for before you go so you can make your chooses wisely! http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food.html
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    In this thread: Food snobs act like they never leave the house for a meal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that people that give their biased opinion on McDonald's (disgusting and nasty are two) are indirectly insulting people who may have it in their weekly or occasional food accounting. Nothing like the food police. Ironically they're on here because they haven't figure out how to eat right either.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Save the calories and go get something you can enjoy. Or, if that's not an option just get something you will enjoy and don't worry about it. It really shouldn't be this stressful! One over your calories meal will not derail your efforts, good grief!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Like mentioned before I would say look at the menu online beforehand, and remember that low calories does not always mean 'healthy'. I'm sick of them saying that a 4 piece chicken nugget is good for kids.

Getting a kids meal is a good strategy, but getting frankenstein pressed chicken like pieces is not good for anyone. Get the strips of meat that is all from "meat". Those nuggets are something you may or may not want to google. It's kind of sickening and I don't consider it food.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that people that give their biased opinion on McDonald's (disgusting and nasty are two) are indirectly insulting people who may have it in their weekly or occasional food accounting. Nothing like the food police. Ironically they're on here because they haven't figure out how to eat right either.

I heart you & Schwiggity!
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    It's not a crisis, it's a birthday party! Just look up something that fits in your allotted calories for the day and have that. There's nothing wrong with eating a little "junk" every once in a while, being really hard and unbending on yourself is an easy way to get burnt out. If you really, really think you can't control yourself then eat beforehand, but I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    southwest salad with grilled chicken!!!

370 calories!

I eat that every time I "have to go to McDonalds"

Sometimes if it's dinner, and I'm under on calories, I'll even throw in a sugar free vanilla iced coffee (90 cals)

HTH!!
  • leilani♥
    Options
    I'd get a grilled chicken snack wrap plain (remove 1/2 the tortilla) and apples
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I eat out, I eat fast food, I eat processed frozen stuff from the grocery store. But, it is hard on a limited calorie amount; trying to eat lower sodium; while filling up enough not to be hungry using fast food. That is my challenge. To limit the overall effect of high sodium and calories. So I can EAT! And not feel nasty in the stomach afterward, or eat very little the rest of the day. In the beginning I avoided it completely, because I just could not fill up if I ate fast food. It took all my calories for the day.

Now, on maintence calories, I still have to pre-think it. Pre-work it off. Or work around it the day before and after. If I don't limit it I bloat up (sodium and fat cloggs me for several days) and I crave it more. Sugar, bakery, and fast food just seem to spark a switch in me that takes a whole week to turn off!
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I try everything I can to avoid McDonald's at all costs these days. I think if I were put in this situation I would bring my own food.
  • jojobird2011
    Options
    I don't think I would bring my own food..I to am staying away from fast food as much as I can but like your situation I would do a good workout for the extra calories..and of course the health benefit..and I would eat what I can fit into my plan. Usually 6 nuggets and a small fries..Good luck ..I know you can and will make a good choice.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This isn't a fad diet, your diet needs to be something you can maintain forever, which means probably eating fast food every once in a while.....Get a grilled chicken sandwich, no fries. Their nutritional facts are online, so you can plan your meal to fit into your day....I would also encourage you to watch the documentary FATHEAD
    Absolutely this!
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I would order a cheeseburger kids meal with a diet coke. I think it is a combined 455 calories.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    McDonalds always has been and always will be my favorite place to eat! A hamburger happy meal is my "go to" food. It can cure a hangover better then anything else!!! When I splurge I get a filet-o-fish. I LOVE them. Go and enjoy yourself.....just don't go back the next day and the day after that. We have to learn to eat what we want in moderation. If I said I was NEVER going to eat at McDonalds again that would be the biggest lie ever told!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Look up online their menu and make a choice off of that, I personally refuse to let my weight loss be a part of my social life. I do make better choices when dining out, but I never turn down an invitation. And don't bring your own food, that'd look silly.
    Yep. I might eat befor & do the yogurt parfait, or if I WANTED TO, eat light all day, get a small McDs meal, and work out hard. I don't think it's impossible to fit a real crappy meal into an otherwise good day, at all, at least that's not the life I want to live.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I would order a salad and eat half. Another option mention is the grilled chicken sandwich, no sauce, no fries. If you struggle with aromas like I do and feel compelled to eat fries etc. just say outloud when you are in the car, " I will not be having fries today because I am chosing to eat healthy. I will have three bites of birthday cake instead to honor the celebrated person." I find that saying things aloud gets the message into the part of the brain that needs to remember it better than just thinking it. Have fun!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken salad or just a side salad and a hamburger happy meal(LOL) YES I order happy meals for myself sometimes. I do about once a month have a small french fry. LOL But otherwise I always eat home cooked food. You can always swap the fries for the apple dippers and throw out the caramel. The chipolte bbq chicken wrap is pretty good too.